Stocking Stuffers

Each year I make an ornament and a 12x12 calendar for each kid on Shutterfly with photos of them and their friends/teams/activities from the past year. Those go into the stocking. We all do scratch off lottery tickets while eating breakfast Christmas morning so a few of those. Some of the other things I added last year were:

Candy: whatever they like—often holidayish—m&M’s in the plastic stocking thing, Reese’s peanut butter trees, etc
Make-up/nail polish, lip balm, bath bombs, hair tyes
Cabin socks
iTunes/Starbucks gift cards
Book or magazine
Anything they need to use a gift they got—batteries, film for those Polaroid cameras, a phone case etc
Markers, pens, pencils, crayons when the were little
Balls for the lacrosse player

When I was a kid my parents used to put Disney tickets in our stockings. Those were always big hits.

In all seriousness, when we got those that was our "big present" and that was also usually how we found out we were going for spring break. It's not that we got so much that something like that was a stocking stuffer next to a mountain of presents.

That's our big gift this year... it's not a surprise but my DH said we booked the hotel now we will ask Santa to help with the tickets... which I didn't want to do because I follow the idea that Santa brings less expensive stuff and parents buy ty3 expensive thing because I would hate for them to go to school and tell everyone while other kids whose parents couldn't afford a big gift wonder why Santa didn't give them something big. So I dunno what I'm going to do with that. Of course we just had 2 huge vehicle repair expenses in the past week so now I'm thinking of asking Santa for help myself, ha....

Kids:
Light up necklaces
Bath color drops
Cool socks
Lip gloss/chapstick
Nail polish
Toy small cars or trains
Hair ties
Light up small balls
Small journals/notepads
Cool pens
Disney projector flashlight
Bathbomb
Tattoos
Small stuffed animals
Hair Chox
Finger lights
Glow sticks/wands/swords/cars
Small snacks like the breadstick and cheese packs, fruit snacks, or pocky
Unique or foreign candy
Duck jerky
Pinball soda

Adults:
Chapstick
Hand sanitizer
Hand warmers
Candles
Small tools
Duct tape
Jerky
Gummy candy
Face masks
Gloves
Lottery tickets
Socks
Pinball soda
Batteries
Nail clippers
Tweezers
Poo Pourri toilet spray
Mini liquor bottles
Gum
Novelty items like bacon flavored mints, toilet bowl candy, etc

Are you setting up the challenge to see if you can receive the visit from the three ghosts this year?

I take it that's a reference to A Christmas Carol, which I've never seen nor read.

I'm just too lazy or apathetic to bother stuffing stockings with little gifts. My parents stopped when I was about 8 or 9, and I never started with my daughters.

I was going to say the same thing!! I guess if you buy the really fancy decretive ones maybe? Or if you didn't have kids? Or if you are Martha Stewart? LOL!

Well, the stockings for DDs ARE Martha Stewart ones, from when she had a line of merchandise at K-Mart. Not really fancy, however. I still hang them even both both daughters no longer live here.

I am not picking on any one person but I always found it weird to put everyday shopping items in a stocking. I get that you want cheap stuff to fill it with but toothpaste? Deodorant? Why not just buy them that stuff the next time you’re at the store?

Maybe it’s so weird to me because I’m used to getting things in my stocking like a humidifier and the biggest thing..a bakers rack.

I wasn’t able to do things like that for my daughter but I did do things like board games and crafty things.
Things that actually fit in your stocking are stocking stuffers. The rest are Christmas gifts.

I take it that's a reference to A Christmas Carol, which I've never seen nor read.

I'm just too lazy or apathetic to bother stuffing stockings with little gifts. My parents stopped when I was about 8 or 9, and I never started with my daughters.

Well, the stockings for DDs ARE Martha Stewart ones, from when she had a line of merchandise at K-Mart. Not really fancy, however. I still hang them even both both daughters no longer live here.

Yep, a Christmas Carol. Seems so surprising someone's managed to miss seeing it with the endless versions that seem to be out there.

I am not picking on any one person but I always found it weird to put everyday shopping items in a stocking. I get that you want cheap stuff to fill it with but toothpaste? Deodorant? Why not just buy them that stuff the next time you’re at the store?

Maybe it’s so weird to me because I’m used to getting things in my stocking like a humidifier and the biggest thing..a bakers rack.

I wasn’t able to do things like that for my daughter but I did do things like board games and crafty things.

What kind of stocking fits such large items? Those are gifts I'd expect under the tree, or next to it.

Things that actually fit in your stocking are stocking stuffers. The rest are Christmas gifts.

Nope, they were considered stocking stuffers.

What kind of stocking fits such large items? Those are gifts I'd expect under the tree, or next to it.

Obviously they weren’t in my stocking..they were leaned up against the chair that had my stocking..we all had our own stocking ‘spot’.

Stocking stuffers weren’t usually that big but, that year they were.

Nope, they were considered stocking stuffers.

Obviously they weren’t in my stocking..they were leaned up against the chair that had my stocking..we all had our own stocking ‘spot’.

Stocking stuffers weren’t usually that big but, that year they were.

For your family does stocking stuffer refer to all of the gifts in general?

Stocking stuffers are items that actually go IN the stocking.

I've bought items for the kids' stockings which were originally supposed to go IN the stockings, but, once I started actually stuffing the stockings, I discovered that maybe something was too big or that I had too much & it wouldn't all fit IN the stocking.

So, then, whatever the item(s) was/where just became part of the rest of the Santa "spread."

(Our kids get wrapped gifts under the tree from DH & me, & then their Santa gifts are left unwrapped & set up in a "display" for them to discover on Christmas morning. So, anything that didn't fit in the stocking as I had originally planned just became part of the other gifts from Santa.)

For your family does stocking stuffer refer to all of the gifts in general?

No. The presents under the tree were from my parents, my daughter, and my siblings. Stocking presents were always from Santa.

eta- we don’t do stockings any more. My parents said they had to stop because they were spending too much time and money on our stockings (I’m the oldest of four). Also, it wasn’t that extravagant when we were younger. We’d get puzzles and games and other stuff I can’t remember lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter