Still working through the decision making process

abbyndrewmom

Mouseketeer
Okay my next dilema is where to buy? We love HHI we lived there for a year and would love to have a week to spend there every year. Having said that I want the flexibility to go to WDW ever other or 3rd year. We would be fine with staying at OKW and we tend to vacation in the off season. Another consideration is we do want to use our point to trade for World wide travel. Where should we buy HHI as it is probably where we will be visiting the most or on Disney for flexibility in trading?

I've also though of buying 150 points at Hilton head then doing an add on for 50 pts at VWL would they let us do that? Could we do the 11 months reservation at VWL using some of our points deeded in HHI or would we only be able to use those 50pts we had available for VWL.

Thanks for all your advise, you all are a wealth of information.

For the purposes of trading into II, there is no difference which DVC property you purchase at.

Generally, the suggestion is that you should purchase where you plan to stay most often. If you plan to stay at HHI most, then that's where you should probably purchase.

Yes, you can do the initial purchase at HH and then add-on at VWL. We did this with Vero Beach - mainly because we wanted to go to Vero from time to time and wanted the 11 month booking window.

The points owned at a particular property can only be used for booking 11 months in advance at that property. So points from HH could not be used to book accomodations 11 months in advance for VWL (or any other DVC resort). In practice, this is rarely an issue because of banking and borrowing.

I think you idea of an initial purchase at HH with an add-on at VWL is a good one. Just be sure you are purchasing enough points to do what you want at HH, because you will only have that number to work with annually at the 11 month window. You can bank the 50 VWL points and borrow from the next year to get 150 points every 3 years there.

The 11 month reservation advantage applies only to points at the given resort; thus if you have 50 VWL points and 150 HH you can reserve 11 months out at VWL with only the 50. But if you plan to do VWL only once every 3 years, 50 may be ideal. Suppose you want to go next year. You could bank this year's 50 VWL points, borrow the 2003 points, use your 2002 points, and thus be able to use 150 in 2002. If you plan to go mostly to HH buy there because 11 month window is very important there for peak summer season. In the past OKW has been fairly easy to get with the 7 month window (BWV has not).

I agree with everyone else. If you really love HHI and only plan to visit VWL every couple years, the 50 point add-on at VWL would do the trick. What time of year do you plan to visit VWL? The points would vary depending on the season. You could get more bang for your buck by dropping a weekend night or staying Sunday thru Thursday night too. By dropping a Saturday night from HHI is an even larger savings of points.

Remember, current MBs are $13 per point at HHI and $10 at VWL.

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter