Still confused about buses

WonderlandisReality

DIS Veteran
I have a pediatric adaptive stroller with no transport option/tie downs. Single parent so having 1 adult take the kids and other take the adaptive stroller not do-able.
Really only looking at possibly taking buses during non peak hours.
But can I load via the ramp then remove them to a seat and fold and stow the stroller on the bus? Even if we don’t have tie downs? Even if it is a dedicated pediatric adaptive stroller (Maclaren Major)?
Mommy wants a vacation free from carpooling cleaning and cooking. Everything else is pixie dust for me.

I have a pediatric adaptive stroller with no transport option/tie downs. Single parent so having 1 adult take the kids and other take the adaptive stroller not do-able.
Really only looking at possibly taking buses during non peak hours.
But can I load via the ramp then remove them to a seat and fold and stow the stroller on the bus? Even if we don’t have tie downs? Even if it is a dedicated pediatric adaptive stroller (Maclaren Major)?
Mommy wants a vacation free from carpooling cleaning and cooking. Everything else is pixie dust for me.
There is no storage on park buses so you will have to watch kids and hold stroller which is why most say to have second adult

There is no storage on park buses so you will have to watch kids and hold stroller which is why most say to have second adult

Yes, sorry, what I meant was fold it up, get the footrests off and in my backpack, move it out of the aisle. Didn’t mean to imply that I thought that there was storage.

In general, strollers are required to be folded before boarding. The driver may allow you to board via the ramp, but I'd have plan B just in case. I don't know how much time they would give you to dismantle the stroller before allowing others to board through the front.

We have used the Maclaren Major at WDW. We'd push the stroller through the main queue, then when it got to be fairly close, I'd have DD get out. Footrest off and stowed in a string pack hanging off the back of the stroller, fold, then walked on the bus carrying the folded stroller and holding her hand. If the bus was getting full, we'd wait for another bus rather than stand.

I forget what your travel party is -- how old are the kids? Can another child help in any way (holding the backpack, etc.)?

Enjoy your vacation!

In general, strollers are required to be folded before boarding. The driver may allow you to board via the ramp, but I'd have plan B just in case. I don't know how much time they would give you to dismantle the stroller before allowing others to board through the front.

We have used the Maclaren Major at WDW. We'd push the stroller through the main queue, then when it got to be fairly close, I'd have DD get out. Footrest off and stowed in a string pack hanging off the back of the stroller, fold, then walked on the bus carrying the folded stroller and holding her hand. If the bus was getting full, we'd wait for another bus rather than stand.

I forget what your travel party is -- how old are the kids? Can another child help in any way (holding the backpack, etc.)?

Enjoy your vacation!

Me, mom.
When we go: eldest will be 8. Uses the Maclaren for bilateral tribal deformity. Requires assistance for visual and hearing impairment. Youngest will be 7. Physically okay. Uses stroller for sensory issues. Severe permanent cognitive disabilities.
Our Maclaren is actually the double from the UK. Just fits within Disney parameters.
Assistance on a few of our days from a family friend who lives local to WDW.
We have no issues waiting for another bus. None of us plan to be in any great rush for anything. Older daughter was interested in the bus. And I am interested in not driving. We have our eye on the MinnieVans/lyft. Just seeing what works.

Yes, sorry, what I meant was fold it up, get the footrests off and in my backpack, move it out of the aisle. Didn’t mean to imply that I thought that there was storage.
You would be surprised at how many expect to store strollers under the bus which was what I thought you meant

Of all the times I've been to WDW (over a dozen) and all the times we've used the bus system, the only time I've seen strollers going up the ramp was when a few families charged the open back doors before the bus driver could shut them. It was crazy.

So, while maybe sometime, some bus driver let someone use the back ramp for an adaptive stroller, I'm guessing it's not policy to do so.

And I am interested in not driving.

I understand that!! As the primary driver in my family, I love getting a break at Disney. We only live a couple of hours away, but always stay onsite just so I can park our van and not get in it again until we leave.

Even so, I think you are going to have a very difficult time getting bus drivers to recognize that stroller as a mobility device, even if you stand in the wheelchair loading spot at the bus stop. I looked up a picture of it, and it looks like any other stroller to me. Without tie downs, obviously your child would not be able to stay in it on the bus. I feel like you may face a lot of "discussions" with drivers to convince them to lower the lift for you. Is your child capable of walking up the deep steps at the front of the bus? If not, I would consider alternate transportation.

I hate to say that because I understand having a disabled child that doesn't necessarily appear to be, and the frustration involved. For me, personally, it would get tiring and stressful trying to convince drivers, and dodge possible comments/dirty looks from other passengers with strollers who don't understand why you would get to use the lift and pre-board with yours.

We are WDW regulars. I have been more times than I can even count. Definitely in the triple digits. We always use the buses, and I have never once seen a stroller boarded on the lift. Never. I wish I could tell you something different, but unfortunately, I can't.

I don't think the buses have the deep step up anymore - they are more level with the curb?

Good to know. I have used an ECV for the past five years. Prior to that, the steps were very deep and hard for me to get up. Glad they have changed that.

One low step sounds workable. The eldest can walk short distances unassisted but mostly struggles with vision in new environment and stairs is where all of her injuries to date have happened. Youngest daughter is hands on but folding the stroller and holding her hand while carting the stroller is something I am used to.
Unsurprisingly, they both seem more interested in riding the buses and other transportation options than the rides.

One low step sounds workable. The eldest can walk short distances unassisted but mostly struggles with vision in new environment and stairs is where all of her injuries to date have happened. Youngest daughter is hands on but folding the stroller and holding her hand while carting the stroller is something I am used to.
Unsurprisingly, they both seem more interested in riding the buses and other transportation options than the rides.
Granddaughter last trip cried when she found out she was going home in her car not a campground bus. Buses were her second favorite ride with the safari being first

Enjoy your vacation!
We no longer use the Maclaren at Disney, but when we did, we normally did the same as you--waited in the regular line and folded it as the bus pulled up. However, there were times that we split into two groups and I was alone with my younger daughter (using the Maclaren). When they saw us, most bus drivers told us to load through the back and let me fold the stroller up once we were on the bus. This only happened, though, when my husband and elder daughter were not with us. It was also 3 or 4 years ago so policies may have changed since then.

I would definitely wait in the wheelchair loading area. It will be safer for you to get them loaded and seated before the other guests are piling in. Get stroller as wheelchair tag for the parks too. Don't worry what other guests say/think, enjoy your vacation!

I would definitely wait in the wheelchair loading area. It will be safer for you to get them loaded and seated before the other guests are piling in. Get stroller as wheelchair tag for the parks too. Don't worry what other guests say/think, enjoy your vacation!
wheelchair tag doesn't help with buses. it is up to driver if she will be allowed to enter thru back door and ramp

Of all the times I've been to WDW (over a dozen) and all the times we've used the bus system, the only time I've seen strollers going up the ramp was when a few families charged the open back doors before the bus driver could shut them. It was crazy.

So, while maybe sometime, some bus driver let someone use the back ramp for an adaptive stroller, I'm guessing it's not policy to do so.
We used the ramp every bus ride with my grandsons adaptive stroller. He has the Hoggi Bingo Evolution with tie downs. Once the 3 metal trays are on it can’t be folded. The trays are heavy - I can’t imagi taking it apart and putting it back together each time.

We used the ramp every bus ride with my grandsons adaptive stroller. He has the Hoggi Bingo Evolution with tie downs. Once the 3 metal trays are on it can’t be folded. The trays are heavy - I can’t imagi taking it apart and putting it back together each time.
Special needs strollers with tie downs are different.
They do not need to be folded on the bus because they have been designed for transport. The drivers will usually notice the tie downs and treat them the same as wheelchairs.
I would still go to Guest Relations and get a ‘stroller as wheelchair tag’ for it. CMs might recognize it as a mobility device, but the tag will help make sure everyone does (including guests who don’t know it is a mobility device).

Regular strollers with a ‘stroller as wheelchair’ tag will be treated the same as a wheelchair in the parks, but the tag is meant for in-park/attraction use and not for buses. Those strollers need to be folded on the bus - I have seen people have them tied down the same as wheelchairs, but that is dangerous since they are not designed for transport and would likely pull apart/collapse in an accident. I do know of someone whose stroller frame was bent by trying to tie it down- the stroller could not be folded after that and it was a bit lopsided.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter