Sticky for restaurant recommendations for OYO time

Vienna

We had a lovely lunch at the Grand Hotel, on the outside veranda in front of the hotel. Very pretty atmosphere, delicious food, large portions, and reasonably priced (for the center of Vienna). It is located on the Karnter Ring, just down the street from the Ritz Carlton. We had lunch and then went to the Sisi Museum for the afternoon!

Disneyland

If you're doing Back Stage Magic at DL, try stopping at the lounge of the Napa Rose restaurant. You can order anything off the restaurant menu but our choices are usually the pizzetta and the truffled mac n cheese.

Florence, Italy

Osteria Santo Spirito - this was recommended to us by a friend. It was classic, good Italian food. The appetizer platter we ordered, mussels, and gnocchi were amazing! Prices were reasonable. What we most enjoyed about this spot was the outdoor seating in a lovely piazza. It seemed like much more of a local place than a tourist spot. It was not far from our hotel (the Westin). We took a cab there but walked back, stopping for gelato on the way at Gelateria la Carraia, which was great!

Laurie

SORRENTO: Pizzeria da Franco. Corso Italia #265. Cheap. Informal. Local. Delish
CAPRI: Buonacore Gelateria. Via Roma #36. Best Gelato I had in 19 days of Italy. They also have a restaurant in the back and regret not eating there as the food is generally expensive (and not that good) on Capri
ROME: Cacio e Pepe. Via Giuseppe Avezzana #11 (Prati neighborhood... north of Castel San Angelo). Get the signature cacio e pepe dish... OMG
ROME: Frigidarium. Via del Governo Vechhio #112. Excellent gelato. Get the Frigidarium flavor
FLORENCE: All'Antico Vinaio. Via dei Neri #74R. Panini shop. You won't believe what you get for 5Euro here.

San Francisco, Francisco's aka the Franciscan Crab Restaurant at Pier 43 1/2 Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco, CA 94133
Good seafood with tables looking out over the bay. Good service and food.

Anchorage, Alaska

For OYO time in Anchorage, there's no shortage of places to eat near the downtown Marriott Hotel. Everything here is a ten minute walk or less, depending on traffic and your pace. There's a free city map available downstairs in the hotel lobby. You can easily find everything here on it. Even if there are no maps downstairs, the streets in Anchorage are arranged so that it's hard for anyone to get lost. (The streets go in numerical order in one direction, alphabetical order for the cross streets.) Just ask the hotel front desk in that case.

--Crush

We enjoyed Crush a lot. It wasn't crowded. The food was different from what we saw on the other menus. It was a great place to sit and relax.

Crush has a lot of wine and some craft beers. They offer lunch and dinner with salads, sandwiches, cheese plates, bite sized plates, empanadas, and full sized entrees such as wild salmon, chicken skewers, poached halibut, lamb meatballs, and steak. The price is up to you (full meal? bunch of small plates? drinks?), but compared to prices at other restaurants we tried it's about average for the Anchorage area.

--Fat Ptarmigan

We had the pizza there. It was pretty good, but we had a long wait just to get a table. It's apparently popular with other large tour groups who are in the area which also affected service, but overall this place wasn't bad or good. It was just okay. Prices were about the same as other restaurants in the area.

--McGinley's Pub

It's average pub food, but the real treat here are the fried pickles. The service is also excellent, so if you just want a late night snack and a drink while hearing a little live music, this is a good option. Prices might be slightly less than other restaurants in the area.

Rome, Piccolo Arancio, Vicolo Scanderbeg, 112, 00187 Roma, Italy. We have eaten there 2X. Good, reasonably priced home-made food. VERY small inside with tables outside. We prefer outside. Reviews on tripadvisor. Near Trevi, as I recall. Family of 4 ate for under 100 euros. Eggplant parm esp. good.

Name: House of Prime Rib

Type of food: Prime Rib! The menu is very simple. You pick a cut of prime rib (there are 4-5 options), then pick baked or mashed potato, cream corn or cream spinach. That's about it. They do have "fish of the day", also.
Good points/bad points: The food is amazing. And since most know it is amazing, reservations are more than highly recommended. Reservations will need to made 2-3 months in advance. You will not be seated until all members of your party are present. Parking sucks, like most of SF, so Uber it in if you can.
Approximate price range: About $50pp
Distance from hotel: About 1.5 miles (1906 Van Ness Ave, San Francisco, CA 94109)

Name: Cicciolina

Type of food: Italian
Distance from hotel: Just a couple of blocks from the city Plaza de Armas.
Good points/bad points: We ate here twice on our trip. Once for lunch, once for dinner. Reservations were not needed either time. Seated right away. We had a Corona, and asked for salt & lime. They had never seen anyone add salt & lime to their beer, so many of the wait staff stood around and watched. :)

For anyone on the China ABD, if you want to try a great restaurant in Shanghai, go to Lost Heaven in the Bund district. I've been to China ~45 times over the past decade or so, and have eaten just about anything and everything you could imagine. The food here was the absolute best I've ever had in China. Primarily Hunan cuisine, but others also. Dishes were reasonably priced at $6/dish at the lower end to ~$15/dish at the upper end.

Can you just walk in without a long wait, or do you recommend having a reservation? Our trip with Thomson Family Adventures ends in Shanghai. I can't remember if we have any dinners on our own during the actual trip, but we are also spending two extra nights in Shanghai. We'll be at Shanghai Disneyland both days, so I'm not sure we'll make it back to Shanghai for dinner, but if so, I'd love to try this place.

Can you just walk in without a long wait, or do you recommend having a reservation? Our trip with Thomson Family Adventures ends in Shanghai. I can't remember if we have any dinners on our own during the actual trip, but we are also spending two extra nights in Shanghai. We'll be at Shanghai Disneyland both days, so I'm not sure we'll make it back to Shanghai for dinner, but if so, I'd love to try this place.
The night we were there it wasn't that busy early (~6). However, it got busier as the night went on. So, I think if you eat at 6 or 7, you would be fine walking in, might be tighter if you go around 8 or 9. We also went mid-week. Not sure how it is during a weekend. Hope you get a chance to go, I think it's really worth it. Have fun on your trip.

The night we were there it wasn't that busy early (~6). However, it got busier as the night went on. So, I think if you eat at 6 or 7, you would be fine walking in, might be tighter if you go around 8 or 9. We also went mid-week. Not sure how it is during a weekend. Hope you get a chance to go, I think it's really worth it. Have fun on your trip.

Thanks!

From our recent trip to Rome and the Amalfi Coast...

Gelato
In Rome, Carapina. This is a small Italian chain that (I believe) originated in Florence. We ate at the location just south of the Pantheon. They only have maybe 10 flavors, and they are kept in stainless steel tins that are covered (from what I understand, that is a hallmark of true artisanal gelato). Very fresh, simple ingredients, but without the fillers, it does tend to melt easier. It also isn't as creamy as you might expect (but still infinitely better than anything here in the US). We had mint (made with fresh mint, not any sort of extract, and it's not died green, either!), chocolate, and peanut (not peanut butter!). The mint and peanut were outstanding. The place I heard about over and over was Fatamorgana, but the locations weren't very convenient to our apartment, so we didn't stop there. Multiple people told us it is fantastic, though.

In Sorrento, Raki. Unbelievably good gelato! We ate here twice. I can't say enough about the pineapple basil, vanilla ginger, and cinnamon. Believe me when I say that pineapple gelato is better than a Dole Whip (blasphemy, I know!) If you get a pineapple flavor, don't mix it with anything. The flavor is so delicate, anything else just overwhelms it. We could not get past these three flavors at Raki. The flavors here are also more limited (maybe 20 at most), change regularly, and are kept in covered tins.

In Florence, My Sugar and Edoardo. My Sugar is near the Accademia. It's one of Florence's newest artisanal gelato shops, and it won this year's gelato festival. Although it's a very tough contest, I think the lime sage I had here was my absolute favorite flavor on the entire trip. If you like make-your-lips-pucker sour, then this is for you! My Sugar does not use the covered tins, but this is true artisanal gelato. We also had pineapple ginger and dark chocolate; there were maybe 20 choices all total. I liked the pineapple basil at Raki better. Edoardo is special because they make their own cones (right in front of you!), and they are oh-so-yummy! The gelato here is also in covered tins, and likewise, they have a small selection that changes daily (maybe 10-15 flavors). The cherry was very good (and the only place on the entire trip where I saw true cherry gelato; usually the flavor was vanilla with a cherry pie filling-type swirl), as was the cinnamon. We also had the dark chocolate (honestly, I couldn't really tell much difference from one dark chocolate to another).

We had gelato in Amalfi that was good, but I don't remember the exact name of the place. It is on/near the main square and had the word royal (or maybe royale) in the name. The coconut flavor here was very good (for coconut).

As far as food goes, we only had a couple of "write-home" meals on our own time. One was at O' Parrucchiano in Sorrento. This restaurant is owned by the same people/family as the hotel. It is just such a beautiful setting that you have to eat here! We had fried squash blossoms stuffed with cheese, lasagna (with little Italian sausage meatballs and eggplant), and a three pasta sampler (gnocchi, cannelloni, and something that I can't remember...ravioli, maybe?). It was delicious.

In Florence, we ate at Acqua al 2. Technically, this is a chain, as there are also restaurants in DC and California (San Fran, maybe, or San Diego?). However, we went for a specific purpose...the filet. Specifically the filet with a blueberry-balsamic reduction. It sounds weird, but it was delicious! My JA had the filet with just a plain balsamic reduction (no blueberry), which did taste different and equally good. Although there were clearly a lot of tourists eating here (mostly American and Asian - I doubt there were any Italians in the place), the menu is only in Italian, and the steak was very good, especially since, other than cured meats, we had not had much protein on the trip. Frankly, a nice steak was a real treat at that point in our trip.

I've been to Lost Heaven and, while busy, we didn't have a wait. It was very good. A restaurant I prefer is actually a chain, but has Xiaolongbao dumplings, which are very popular among locals in Shanghai. It's called Din Tai Fung and there are a few locations in Shanghai (also in Beijing). I crave those dumplings!

We are heading off to the Arizona & Utah trip in two weeks. Any suggestions for OYO meals in Sedona and at the Grand Canyon (family of 4, DS and DD are 17 y/o teens, one of which is a picky eater)? I have heard one recommendation for the El Tovar Dining Room (but that reservations were hard to get). Any one else care to share their experiences?

Recommending (chosen based on @kristilew's recommendation!) the Cafe Imperial in Prague. It's a short 2-block walk from the Prague Marriott where ABD stays in Prague. Amazing Art Deco tile interior that was protected by the owners during WWII. The food was also excellent. I had a luscious French Onion soup and a traditional Czech dish of beef in gravy with cranberries and dense, bread-like dumplings. Really tender, with great flavor. They had a nice selection, and was not very expensive.

Sayhello

Last edited:
Name: Chez Wong
Type of food: Seafood - Ceviche
*Reservation required*
*Lunch only*

I attempted to call and got a phone message in Spanish. Since I don't speak Spanish I called the JW Marriott that ABD includes in the current tour and spoke with the concierge desk. They contacted the restaurant and made a reservation on our behalf. Basically you eat what Chef Wong is cooking that day, we got ceviche three ways and it was ALL amazing. It took about 40 minutes via car service from the Marriott and cost $24 each way. There are only 7 tables and reservations are pretty much required if you want to get in.

+51 975 483 239
Enrique León García 114, Distrito de Lima, Peru

Day 1 Chez Wong.jpg

Quito, Ecuador

Crepes and Waffles

Location: Located diagonally across the street from the JW Marriott in Quito; so its a good choice if you don't want to take a cab or eat in the hotel, because you can easily walk, about a hundred yards across a major roadway. Our AG recommended a cab taking a cab if coming back late at night, if not with a sizable group. We dined with 6-8 people, left a couple of the bigger guys in back and had no troubles whatsoever. Didn't even see anyone troublesome, but take precautions as you would in any large city!

On the menu: sort of like an I hop menu, there are pages of crepes and waffles, both savory and sweet, all illustrated with photos, although you can request and English menu, and when you do will likely be assigned the waitress who speaks the most English. But its easiest to communicate by pointing to the photos! It's a casual place where lots of locals dine to celebrate birthdays etc.

The food was excellent, familiar and delicious. Examples we tried were; chicken waffles, crepes with chili and beef and burrito style crepes- hard to describe, but all very tasty! I have more details, a photo or two in my review in my signature. They offer all kinds of delicious dessert crepes and waffles and ice cream sundaes. It gets busy on weekend nights, but you can easily get a table by going early (before 7). There is some outdoor seating on a patio and indoor seating that looks a lot like your standard "mall food court" tables.

What you'll pay: this was very reasonable, about 6-10 USD per "dish". They did serve beer and wine, but we particularly enjoyed their special fruit juices and frescas.
Thanks SayHello for this stickie! Great idea!
Thanks! Tried that. Really cool place

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter