Step By Step - How to Add Names to an Existing Contract (Gratuitous Transfer)

I just sent in my newly recorded deed and paperwork yesterday. Now's the tough part - let's hope I did everything right and DVC accepts it! 😂... I'll let you guys know what I did/learned after I hear back from them.

UPDATE: I hadn't heard from DVC since emailing them all of my final paperwork on 8/1, so I emailed them the other day (8/27) to find out the status. They emailed back yesterday and informed me that the paperwork had been received and the account has been updated since 8/17! Gah. They never sent me any type of confirmation. When I looked, though, they got my name wrong (first/middle instead of first/last). I emailed them back yesterday and told them thanks, but there's a clerical error, and they emailed me back this morning to apologize and let me know they updated it. So I'm officially official as of today!

Here's a brief rundown of my timeline:
  • June 25, 2019 - Downloaded and filled out the "Request To Change Title" form from the DVC website.
  • June 26, 2019 - Emailed the "Request To Change Title" form to DVC at wdw.dvc.member.administration@disney.com.
  • July 3, 2019 - Received an email back from DVC with the Waiver of Right of First Refusal (ROFR), along with some other forms to send back after the deed is recorded.
  • [Created a new deed, which I modeled after my existing deed and several different templates I found across this thread and others.]
  • July 18, 2019 - Got the new deed notarized and witnessed.
  • July 20, 2019 - Mailed the new deed to the OCC along with a check for $20.00 (could have sent a check for $19.20 but eh).
  • [I spent this time checking the OCC website daily for the recorded deed.]
  • July 31, 2019 - Downloaded the newly recorded deed with the necessary document stamps from the OCC website.
  • August 1, 2019- Replied to the DVC email received on July 3 with the following attachments:
    • Newly recorded deed (downloaded from the OCC website on July 31)
    • Waiver of ROFR (received in the email from July 3)
    • Signed change request form (received in the email from July 3)
  • August 17, 2019 - Done and done! (minus the snafu I mentioned above)
Hope this helps! I could have gotten the deed ready and notarized as soon as July 3 and sent to OCC on July 5, which would have sped up my timeline by nearly two weeks... so it seems to me it's possible to get it done in as little as one month, month and a half.

Big thank you to all who helped! Took a little over a month, but my wife is now added to my membership. Two of those weeks were waiting on Disney to update my account. I ended up calling them and finding out they somehow missed one of my contracts (both were attached in the email I sent over). Once they realized that it was completed in a couple hours.

Small tip for anyone looking for a deed template - use the advance search on the OCC record search website. In the "legal remarks" section put TS (time share) and in the "deed doc tax" put .70 and .70. Go back to the basic tab and set the start and end recording dates to a month or a couple week span otherwise the website will throw up an error. This will find any gratuitous transfers for people adding someone to their accounts. A lot of them were done by the companies Disney recommends when you start the process. I just copied one and edited as need for my information.

Big thank you to all who helped! Took a little over a month, but my wife is now added to my membership. Two of those weeks were waiting on Disney to update my account. I ended up calling them and finding out they somehow missed one of my contracts (both were attached in the email I sent over). Once they realized that it was completed in a couple hours.

Small tip for anyone looking for a deed template - use the advance search on the OCC record search website. In the "legal remarks" section put TS (time share) and in the "deed doc tax" put .70 and .70. Go back to the basic tab and set the start and end recording dates to a month or a couple week span otherwise the website will throw up an error. This will find any gratuitous transfers for people adding someone to their accounts. A lot of them were done by the companies Disney recommends when you start the process. I just copied one and edited as need for my information.
Thank you for posting this. I have done Gratuitous transfer (adding my adult kids) on 2 contracts, but I still have 3 more to go and I DON'T want to pay the big bucks to the Title Transfer Companies, like I did with my first two. So, this stuff is very helpful.

I went to the Orange County Comptrollers website and followed your instructions and searched for some deeds that were for DVC properties (It is amazing how many deeds - most of them - are for OTHER timeshares). Then I downloaded a number of 'examples' and I expect they will help me a lot.

I have a few questions on changing our DVC ownership to a trust.
I have three contracts, my original purchase and then two additional contracts all from Disney directly. I want to change the ownership to our trust. I see several examples of listing all the contracts with legal description either in an Attachment A or directly in the deed. But in reading this thread (which is really helpful) I see some are doing each contract one at a time.

What are the positives and negatives of filing a new deed with all three contracts listed?
Would having one deed for all three contracts affect the future ability to easily sell an individual contract?
Has anyone ever filed the deed only to have DVC say that the deed in insufficient or not correct?

Thank you all in advance!!!

Well I ended up keeping all three deeds separate. Thought it was the safer route in the long run and since I am doing the deed transfer myself it saved me a ton of money.
I put my deeds in the mail today. So I will update my progress in a couple of weeks.

Has anyone tried the "do it yourself" method for VGC in California?

I have 2 contracts at BWV and 2 contracts at VGC that need to have an owner's name removed. I can see a clear path for how to accomplish the Florida paperwork but nothing about California.

Mailed my quotes to Orange County Comptroller on Oct. 22nd -- today Nov. 5th they have finished the paperwork and they are up on the website showing completed. I did see for about 3 days they were there but "In Process" so now on to the next step. Emailed all my paperwork to DVC today.

Questions for those who have done this ---

1. Do you get a new membership number or do you keep the existing one?
2. Do you get a new member card? And if so, is it still blue if you purchased direct?

Thanks All!!

Last edited:

Has anyone tried the "do it yourself" method for VGC in California?

I have 2 contracts at BWV and 2 contracts at VGC that need to have an owner's name removed. I can see a clear path for how to accomplish the Florida paperwork but nothing about California.

I am looking at doing other properties (non-timeshare) in other states in my research it appears to be the same process. Get the deed written, determine the filing costs, send the notarized deed in with the appropriate fees, and then it is filed.
Of course, I am not a lawyer so I cannot guarantee that is all that has to happen. I have reached out to our lawyer for their advice.

Wanting to add my adult daughter to my DVC that I purchased resale prior to the new restrictions (I have a membership card). Just want to confirm that adding her will not impact my membership status and also whether my daughter would also receive a membership card. If anyone in this position has done this and can confirm I would greatly appreciate it...Thanks

Wanting to add my adult daughter to my DVC that I purchased resale prior to the new restrictions (I have a membership card). Just want to confirm that adding her will not impact my membership status and also whether my daughter would also receive a membership card. If anyone in this position has done this and can confirm I would greatly appreciate it...Thanks
I added my 2 adult daughters to an old 25 point (pre 2018) contract. Now we all have blue cards. (I maintained mine and they got 2).

I see this process is to add persons to a contract. Is this the same process if you want to gift a contract to a family member?

I added my 2 adult daughters to an old 25 point (pre 2018) contract. Now we all have blue cards. (I maintained mine and they got 2).
Thanks for your reply, was this a contract you purchased resale or direct from Disney. Again, thanks.

Thanks for your reply, was this a contract you purchased resale or direct from Disney. Again, thanks.

I just added my kids to a contract that was purchased resale but can be used at all resorts, The addition Of them to the contract did not alter the use of the points.

I have several contracts. Only one was bought direct. It is a small 25 point contract bought back when that was all that was needed to get member benefits. I added my daughters to that contract after the minimum threshold had been raised. Adding them, gave all of us member benefits based on the rules in place at the time of my original purchase. Hope this has the details you were asking about.

I have several contracts. Only one was bought direct. It is a small 25 point contract bought back when that was all that was needed to get member benefits. I added my daughters to that contract after the minimum threshold had been raised. Adding them, gave all of us member benefits based on the rules in place at the time of my original purchase. Hope this has the details you were asking about.
Yes...thanks

I just want to say thanks to all the contributors on this thread. I just completed transfer of my BWV contracts from joint ownership to single ownership following all the steps and tips here.

The timelines and costs were all in line with what was reported in the thread.

I am paying for assistance with transfer of VGC contracts as I couldn’t find the same type of step by step guidelines for working this through California, but I am happy to have done the Florida contracts on my own and saved some $ there.

So mine was returned because my check did not have my address on it. So, when you go to pay, please make sure your check has your address on it!

Does it have to be Grantor's address on check (or just any address for payee)? I am handling this for my MIL and so check will have Grantee's address instead. Will that be an issue does anyone know?

...my light bulb went on as I was looking for an example as well: On the OC deed website, I just searched on *DIS* and the Deed that have $0.70, looking at the Grantor and Grantee names, you can kind of tell who is just adding a name to the deed ...I'm going to use First American Title's "Special Warranty Deed" format. Found quite a few where mom adds daughter, etc.

Great info, thanks for putting this together. I am working on transferring deeds, 3 in Florida an 1 in South Carolina.
Has anyone had to transfer a deed for Hilton Head?
Thanks in advance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter