Step-by-Step Castaway Club + Costco Cash Card For First Timers

I didn’t know you can cash out gift cards (at Costco or anywhere else for that matter). But maybe because WA state doesn’t do that. Does anyone know how it works in WA? Thanks!

So, I can purchase a $250 placeholder while onboard, then I have 30 days to transfer that reservation # to Costco. When I choose my cruise, I book through Costco and will receive the Costco cash card since technically it’s a Costco resercation?

Am I still eligible for the 10% reduced deposit and the OBC since I purchased the placeholder while onboard?

Apologies if this has been answered, I just want to make sure I have everything in order since I messed up last time and lost some of my benefits!

Thank you!

So, I can purchase a $250 placeholder while onboard, then I have 30 days to transfer that reservation # to Costco. When I choose my cruise, I book through Costco and will receive the Costco cash card since technically it’s a Costco resercation?

Am I still eligible for the 10% reduced deposit and the OBC since I purchased the placeholder while onboard?

Apologies if this has been answered, I just want to make sure I have everything in order since I messed up last time and lost some of my benefits!

Thank you!

Yes. you can buy the placeholder on board and transfer it to Costco within 30 days (or, if you happen to have booked your first cruise with Costco, then the future cruise desk would ask whether you still wanted to use the same TA). And yes, when you go to book that cruise with the placeholder, it would be a Costco booking so you'd have to call Costco to book - and then after that cruise you'll get the Costco cash card. The same benefits that accrue with the placeholder will be available to you regardless of whether you use a TA, so you will still have the reduced deposit (assuming the cruise you choose is eligible) and OBC.

This might be a stupid question, but is it pretty much a given that the Costco cash card, in pure dollar amounts, beats any OBC deal out there?

Yes. you can buy the placeholder on board and transfer it to Costco within 30 days (or, if you happen to have booked your first cruise with Costco, then the future cruise desk would ask whether you still wanted to use the same TA). And yes, when you go to book that cruise with the placeholder, it would be a Costco booking so you'd have to call Costco to book - and then after that cruise you'll get the Costco cash card. The same benefits that accrue with the placeholder will be available to you regardless of whether you use a TA, so you will still have the reduced deposit (assuming the cruise you choose is eligible) and OBC.

Thank you!! I did book through Costco last time, so I continue to name them as my TA or should I leave it blank?

Thank you!! I did book through Costco last time, so I continue to name them as my TA or should I leave it blank?

I suppose that depends on whether you were happy with their service or not. If you were, and you are prepared to phone in your reservation to Costco when you want to use that placeholder, then there's no harm in keeping them as your TA for the placeholder. Currently with a placeholder everyone has to phone in anyway so it's either phoning your TA (Costco) or phoning DCL directly if you don't have a TA listed. For me, I kept Costco as my TA on the placeholder, eliminating the worry about having to transfer the placeholder later.

This might be a stupid question, but is it pretty much a given that the Costco cash card, in pure dollar amounts, beats any OBC deal out there?

I certainly haven't examined every TA's offer out there but yes, I think it's probably fair to say that the Costco gc value is likely higher than what you could get from a TA in terms of OBC.

I suppose that depends on whether you were happy with their service or not. If you were, and you are prepared to phone in your reservation to Costco when you want to use that placeholder, then there's no harm in keeping them as your TA for the placeholder. Currently with a placeholder everyone has to phone in anyway so it's either phoning your TA (Costco) or phoning DCL directly if you don't have a TA listed. For me, I kept Costco as my TA on the placeholder, eliminating the worry about having to transfer the placeholder later.

Thank you! We are big fans of Costco Travel & use and recommend them to basically everyone! Thank you again & happy cruising!

PP posted Costco T&C excerpt, "...To receive your Costco Cash Card, you must book directly through Costco Travel. Bookings made through Disney Cruise Line or the Disney onboard cruise consultant are not eligible for this Costco Travel benefit"......As I read this new "policy," it doesn't say that you can't transfer a DCL booking to Costco. It says that if you DO transfer a DCL booking to Costco OR book on-board through DCL (i.e. an actual cruise OR a placeholder), that you won't receive the cash-back card.

If someone can report back if transferring still works to receive the cash card that would be appreciated. I most recently did this with our cruise this past summer, but it was booked/transferred nearly 18 months ago.

Just completed my Hawaii Cruise transfer to Costco, originally booked through DCL on opening day for Silver members. I can confim the Cash Card is applied to my booking on Costco Travel.

Last edited:
Confirmed today -- our Costco reservation information/confirmation email includes a $760 Costco Cash Card.

To recap: I booked through DCL, and of course paid the required deposit when I booked. Then I transferred my reservation to Costco that same day. Got the email from Costco Travel today, and it shows the card and dollar value on the confirmation.

Confirmed today -- our Costco reservation information/confirmation email includes a $760 Costco Cash Card.

To recap: I booked through DCL, and of course paid the required deposit when I booked. Then I transferred my reservation to Costco that same day. Got the email from Costco Travel today, and it shows the card and dollar value on the confirmation.

Woohoo! Awesome! :cheer2:

My experience is similar albeit more convoluted: I booked a placeholder last month on the 12th on the Fantasy and booked on platinum release day for Hawaii 2020 10 night. Transferred the cruise booking to Costco Travel. Asked the person I spoke with if they would still issue cash card (I wasn't going to transfer the rez if they did not), they confirmed, "Yes".

It finally shows up on DCL's website that a travel agent has my booking but there was an odd message re: that so I called again today. I also was concerned that my Costco Travel account did not yet show my cruise booking. Called, got a super nice guy, who used my DCL rez # some way and voila! My rez showed up on their website immediately. They fired off a rez email to me and in black and white, the rez CLEARLY shows our $545 Costco cash card. Shows the same on their website when I pull up my DCL rez. party:

Since we have to book three staterooms total and she can only do two of those OBB, I think we've decided that I'll just book asap through Costco, and she will book the other two onboard -- that way we get hefty discounts on all three rooms. Still noodling it over before tomorrow, though... hopefully, I can just call Costco Travel tomorrow and get in line with a million other people to book when they open, lol!
If you book three staterooms onboard you might still get the stateroom credit ($100 or $200 depending on length of cruise), but no discount or reduced deposit for longer cruises. That is what happened to us one time when we were booking for a family cruise.

Once you have your Costco cash card, you may want to consider upgrading your membership to the Gold Star Executive membership level. It was $60 + tax for us here in NJ. It gives you a 2% cash back on most purchases made through Costco. They send you a check. No gas, tobacco, and a few others. Check their site. If you wish to upgrade, you can use the cash card to do it in the store. You cannot upgrade over the phone using their cash card, we had to use a credit card. No big deal...

We have an NYC to Port Canaveral cruise booked for next year. Booked through DCL to get a specific cabin, paid the deposit, then transferred to Costco. Now we will get 2% back on the cruise next year in addition to the cash card.

I may treat myself to that 55 gallon drum of mayonnaise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!