Step-by-Step Castaway Club + Costco Cash Card For First Timers

Yup.

And as others are saying, it appears they may have gotten wise to the “you’re doing no work but paying me” scheme and won’t pay out for transfers anymore.
Even the transfer is cheap money for Costco, so it's in their interest to keep doing it. Until someone gets confirmation that the policy has changed, it's premature to assume so.

1. Yes, you go ahead and book with DCL & pay the deposit.
2. Yes, you pay the same total price with Costco as you do with DCL. The difference is the discount in the form of a post-cruise cash card that Costco will give you.
3. Yes, 8%. And I've had no problem going to Costco customer service to have them cash out the entire amount.
This apparently varies from state to state.

Im in California and just recently cashed out a Cash Card with no problem. If there's a problem I'll just buy groceries. lol

So I suppose the first thing to do is book a cruise tomorrow morning. If the transfer works, great! If not, then I'll just keep it with DCL and no harm done.

I really appreciate everyone's help on the matter.

And as others are saying, it appears they may have gotten wise to the “you’re doing no work but paying me” scheme and won’t pay out for transfers anymore.

The terms and conditions for Costco Travel in Canada don't say this, so I wonder if it's US-only, but I guess that remains to be seen - won't know till someone calls.

I booked direct in Platinum opening and will transfer to Costco, so will let everyone know what happens.

The local Costco that I use does not allow you to cash out a card. I do not know if any of the others in my area permit this or not.

I booked direct in Platinum opening and will transfer to Costco, so will let everyone know what happens.

The local Costco that I use does not allow you to cash out a card. I do not know if any of the others in my area permit this or not.
I found this on the Costco website:
  • Cash Card balances under $10 are always redeemable for cash. Amounts over $10 may be redeemable if required under state law.
So, while many Costcos seem to be allowing the cash out, they don't really have to, unless the amount is under $10.

My Costco (in Atlanta area) will not cash the 8% gift card but will cash the executive 2% "check".

I’m an Executive Costco member and I use their Visa...I’m also super new to Disney Cruising so apologies in advance if this is a silly question.

When my sister goes on her cruise this weekend, she will be booking for us each a stateroom on a May 2020 cruise. Does this Costco transfer idea mean that I can then transfer my stateroom reservation (not hers, just mine) to Costco and get their 8% cash back card? Do I lose the OBB discount if I do that?

We get rebates every year for how much we shop there so I’m fine with having to use the card in-store, but not fine with losing the OBB so trying to weigh options.

Thanks!

I’m an Executive Costco member and I use their Visa...I’m also super new to Disney Cruising so apologies in advance if this is a silly question.

When my sister goes on her cruise this weekend, she will be booking for us each a stateroom on a May 2020 cruise. Does this Costco transfer idea mean that I can then transfer my stateroom reservation (not hers, just mine) to Costco and get their 8% cash back card? Do I lose the OBB discount if I do that?

We get rebates every year for how much we shop there so I’m fine with having to use the card in-store, but not fine with losing the OBB so trying to weigh options.

Thanks!

I believe that, if your sister books the reservation - even if it is for 2 rooms - she remains the reservation holder and you will not be allowed to "split" your room off. Based on earlier posts in this thread, it sounds like Costco will no longer provide the 8% cash-back card if you transfer a reservation to them anyway, so this is likely a moot point for you.

Last edited:
I believe that, if your sister books the reservation - even if it for 2 rooms - she remains the reservation holder and you will not be allowed to "split" your room off. Based on earlier posts in this thread, it sounds like Costco will no longer provide the 8% cash-back card if you transfer a reservation to them anyway, so this is likely a moot point for you.
Ok thanks - I will verify with her (or ask her to verify when she books) but this sounds logical. But darn!

Assuming both staterooms will be on the same future cruise, your sister should be able to put the second stateroom in your name as lead. I don't believe she can be listed as lead guest on 2 reservations - she'd be getting charged twice. After she's back from her cruise and gives you the reservation info, you should be able to transfer that to Costco. I say "should" because there is some discussion upthread as to whether Costco has changed their terms. But you can check with Costco on that at the time.

Enjoy your cruise!

Since we have to book three staterooms total and she can only do two of those OBB, I think we've decided that I'll just book asap through Costco, and she will book the other two onboard -- that way we get hefty discounts on all three rooms. Still noodling it over before tomorrow, though... hopefully, I can just call Costco Travel tomorrow and get in line with a million other people to book when they open, lol!

Thanks, everyone! Super excited for my first cruise!

If someone can report back if transferring still works to receive the cash card that would be appreciated. I most recently did this with our cruise this past summer, but it was booked/transferred nearly 18 months ago.

One thing my local Costco told me with the cash cards is to take a picture of the back of the card. Then if you loose it, they can look it up and transfer the balance (so you don't loose the balance). Since the cards can be in the hundreds of dollars, it's a good thing to do as "insurance".

If someone can report back if transferring still works to receive the cash card that would be appreciated. I most recently did this with our cruise this past summer, but it was booked/transferred nearly 18 months ago.

One thing my local Costco told me with the cash cards is to take a picture of the back of the card. Then if you loose it, they can look it up and transfer the balance (so you don't loose the balance). Since the cards can be in the hundreds of dollars, it's a good thing to do as "insurance".

A little more to share: I called Costco travel twice today with questions. Both times I also asked whether an OBB could be transferred afterwards to Costco, and both TAs said yes. Wanted to share that our new plan includes her moving her two OBBs to Costco after she disembarks from this current cruise, where she’s booking our next cruise. Will update then if no one posts their report sooner.

A little more to share: I called Costco travel twice today with questions. Both times I also asked whether an OBB could be transferred afterwards to Costco, and both TAs said yes. Wanted to share that our new plan includes her moving her two OBBs to Costco after she disembarks from this current cruise, where she’s booking our next cruise. Will update then if no one posts their report sooner.
PP posted Costco T&C excerpt, "...To receive your Costco Cash Card, you must book directly through Costco Travel. Bookings made through Disney Cruise Line or the Disney onboard cruise consultant are not eligible for this Costco Travel benefit"......As I read this new "policy," it doesn't say that you can't transfer a DCL booking to Costco. It says that if you DO transfer a DCL booking to Costco OR book on-board through DCL (i.e. an actual cruise OR a placeholder), that you won't receive the cash-back card.

PP posted Costco T&C excerpt, "...To receive your Costco Cash Card, you must book directly through Costco Travel. Bookings made through Disney Cruise Line or the Disney onboard cruise consultant are not eligible for this Costco Travel benefit"......As I read this new "policy," it doesn't say that you can't transfer a DCL booking to Costco. It says that if you DO transfer a DCL booking to Costco OR book on-board through DCL (i.e. an actual cruise OR a placeholder), that you won't receive the cash-back card.

This is new language so it will be interesting to see what happens.

I just started the transfer process. I gave my rep the info, she initiated the transfer, and then said it would take three business days to complete. Part of her closing info was that everything about my booking would be the same, with the addition of a Costco reservation number and cash rebate card. Seems to have worked!

Pls post an update when you get the Costco confirmation email - since that should show the gift card amount!

Will someone please hold my hand and walk me through the steps of securing a cruise tomorrow using my silver CC status but also earning the Costco Cash Card offered through Costco Travel.

Reading over the various threads I think I have a good idea of how it works but I'll be booking with 3 other families tomorrow and I need to make sure Im leading people down the right rabbit hole.

I appreciate your patience and thoroughness.

Hopefully you have what you need to book your cruise and get your Costco gift card for your upcoming cruise. I wanted to pass along a possible next step - booking a 'placeholder' while you are on your cruise. There are discounts and incentives for you to consider your next cruise while you are on this one. A 'placeholder' is an open reservation for a cruise within the next two years. You get a reservation number but no dates, cabin category, etc. need to be specified at the time you book the placeholder. You have 30 days from when you book the placeholder to transfer it to Costco, to take advantage of their benefits. When you are ready to cruise, book your cruise through Costco and reference your placeholder reservation. You still get the discounts from DCL. If you decide not to book another cruise, you will get a refund for your deposit.

Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter