Step-by-Step Castaway Club + Costco Cash Card For First Timers

wrdinc

Earning My Ears
Will someone please hold my hand and walk me through the steps of securing a cruise tomorrow using my silver CC status but also earning the Costco Cash Card offered through Costco Travel.

Reading over the various threads I think I have a good idea of how it works but I'll be booking with 3 other families tomorrow and I need to make sure Im leading people down the right rabbit hole.

I appreciate your patience and thoroughness.

Assuming you don't have a placeholder to use, you can simply book your cruise online (log in to ensure your CC status is correct). Then, you can contact Costco Travel to get the form necessary to transfer your cruise reservation to them. It is something to fill out that either you or Costco will fax or email to DCL. Then DCL and Costco will make the move, and you'll get a Costco reservation number, which you will use whenever you call into Costco to make any changes or to make payment. The Costco cash card doesn't come until after you have sailed - I think they say up to 6 weeks but ours was within 2-3 weeks. You will also earn 2% on the cruise fare (not including taxes etc) if you are executive.

Two small things to note: Costco doesn't necessarily use the exact same "cruise fare" and "taxes/fees" amount as DCL. In total they will add up to the same price as Disney, but I've noticed that Costco allocates more toward taxes and fees than DCL (Maybe because that affects the cash card and executive reward). Also, Costco sets an earlier payment date than DCL, something to be aware of.

So, I should book through DCL tomorrow morning AND pay them the deposit? Sorry, I'm confused about what a placeholder is, how they work, and how to get one?

Also, are you confirming that the total price Im quoted by DCL tomorrow will be the same total amount Im charged by Costco (even if the breakdown of taxes/fare is different)?

I read the Costco Cash Card is 8%. From your experience is this accurate? Iam an executive member to the extra 2% is nice!

Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

So, I should book through DCL tomorrow morning AND pay them the deposit? Sorry, I'm confused about what a placeholder is, how they work, and how to get one?

Also, are you confirming that the total price Im quoted by DCL tomorrow will be the same total amount Im charged by Costco (even if the breakdown of taxes/fare is different)?

I read the Costco Cash Card is 8%. From your experience is this accurate? Iam an executive member to the extra 2% is nice!

Thank you for sharing your knowledge.
Price will be the same after transfer. If you had a placeholder you would know it, so don't worry about that.

The price is the same total amount. It's just that if you were thinking, oh my cruise cost $5,000 so I should get 8% back of that - that isn't entirely accurate, as it's based on the cruise fare itself.

The quickest way for you would be to book through DCL and pay the deposit, then transfer the reservation to Costco (must be done within 30 days).

A placeholder is a future cruise reservation that you book only when you are onboard a ship - it gives you certain benefits for a future cruise within 24 months of your sail date. Look into this on your next cruise - just go to the future cruise booking desk to inquire.

On the Costco travel website Im seeing this in the Terms & Conditions, "To receive your Costco Cash Card, you must book directly through Costco Travel. Bookings made through Disney Cruise Line or the Disney onboard cruise consultant are not eligible for this Costco Travel benefit". In the scenario above has to this work?

You can certainly call Costco to confirm. With my last DCL cruise I did book directly through Costco (certainly an option you can still do, it just takes longer as they will be on the phone with DCL). But with my NCL cruise, I booked with NCL and transferred to Costco, and was still eligible for the full cash card.

I have booked directly on the CostCo Travel site without any phone calls to either CostCo or Disney. The CostCo site worked fine. The last time I had to contact Disney (and was probably just a glitch) because the reservation did not show up on my Disney account immediately. Simple phone call and it was fixed in minutes. You should get your CostCo card within a few weeks of completing your cruise.

On the Costco travel website Im seeing this in the Terms & Conditions, "To receive your Costco Cash Card, you must book directly through Costco Travel. Bookings made through Disney Cruise Line or the Disney onboard cruise consultant are not eligible for this Costco Travel benefit". In the scenario above has to this work?

My 5 of my last 6 cruises have been booked onboard or using a placeholder and I have still gotten the cash card. But, I guess Costco could stop offering this.

My 5 of my last 6 cruises have been booked onboard or using a placeholder and I have still gotten the cash card. But, I guess Costco could stop offering this.
I wonder - is this a new clause? Maybe the way Costco is "falling in line" with the reduced deposits that regular TAs give for booking directly and transferring to them.

Anyone know if you can pay on your balance with disney gift cards if you use Costco?

Once you transfer it, it’s considered a Costco Booking.

I wonder - is this a new clause? Maybe the way Costco is "falling in line" with the reduced deposits that regular TAs give for booking directly and transferring to them.

Once you transfer it, it’s considered a Costco Booking.

It would appear the language has changed. Here is the statement from a cruise I already have booked "To receive your Costco Cash Card, you must book directly through Costco Travel." That booking does shows the cash card amount.

1. Yes, you go ahead and book with DCL & pay the deposit.
2. Yes, you pay the same total price with Costco as you do with DCL. The difference is the discount in the form of a post-cruise cash card that Costco will give you.
3. Yes, 8%. And I've had no problem going to Costco customer service to have them cash out the entire amount.

This apparently varies from state to state.

Yup.

And as others are saying, it appears they may have gotten wise to the “you’re doing no work but paying me” scheme and won’t pay out for transfers anymore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter