Stealing fuel from pipelines

bcla

On our rugged Eastern foothills.....
Not sure what the current death count is from the pipeline near Mexico City, but last I heard it was in the 70s.

Tapping into pipelines seems a bit dangerous. I mean - transporting fuel by pipe always seemed like there might be some risks. However, jury-rigging a tap seems to be extremely dangerous. I haven't heard of anyone doing this in the US or Canada, but I get that there are poor people in other parts of the world where just a little bit of fuel can mean food (or personal fuel) for a week. And in this case it's reported that organized crime was involved, but that poor locals found the tap and then went along for the ride. I suppose part of the risk is that there were literally hundreds doing this, while law enforcement did nothing because of a fear that firearms or other action could ignite the fuel vapors. But with hundreds of people there, there's the risk that someone is going to do something that ignites the fuel.

It seems pretty sophisticated since many have mapped out underground pipes and will dig first to uncover the pipes.

Hot taps are really dangerous and you have to do them right. I'm sure people stealing from the company didn't follow any specific procedures. Other than stupidity. Darwin Award winners.

Hot taps are really dangerous and you have to do them right. I'm sure people stealing from the company didn't follow any specific procedures. Other than stupidity. Darwin Award winners.

similar to the situation i'm aware of where back some years ago someone thought they could get over their cable company and just hook up to the line on the power pole themselves. electrocuted (non fatally) the 'installer', burnt down the house.

similar to the situation i'm aware of where back some years ago someone thought they could get over their cable company and just hook up to the line on the power pole themselves. electrocuted (non fatally) the 'installer', burnt down the house.

Come to think of it, some people have been killed trying to steal copper wires.

There was a case in NYC a few years ago where someone from a neighboring building tapped into the other building's natural gas line.....both buildings blew up one day and people were killed.

MJ

Sad when people are so desperate! I've seen poverty in third world countries, and it just breaks my heart. :sad:

There was a case in NYC a few years ago where someone from a neighboring building tapped into the other building's natural gas line.....both buildings blew up one day and people were killed.

MJ
Wasn't illegally tapping into gas lines one of the things that forced the closure of the original Carnegie Deli?

Come to think of it, some people have been killed trying to steal copper wires.
People have gotten hurt and killed here siphoning gas, or punching holes in the fuel tanks of individual cars. One guy tried to drill a hole in the tank of a car at the Nissan dealership. They never found him to find out if he got hurt, but he started a fire that destroyed several brand new cars.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter