Staying at a WDW resort WITHOUT visiting the parks?

We stay the night before the cruise at SSR and just walk around Disney Springs for dinner. In 2020 having a big family vacation (3 families). Will do one day at MK and then get on the ship.

Every time we go to WDW I say that I want to check out activities at all of the resorts (or even the resort we're actually staying at!), and we almost never do. Well, we almost never check out the ones at our own resort and we NEVER go check out any others. Because we're always at the parks.

So if I went on a no-park trip, I'd visit the daylights out of all of the resorts! :D

My DH and I are doing this for our 35th anniversary this fall at Poly. We have a patio booked for 3 of our 5 days. We are going to Epcot one day, but other than that, we are just going to relax and enjoy Poly. We have reservations at the Spirit of Aloha Luau, Ohana's, Kona Cafe and are going to try Trader Sam's probably at least a couple evenings. We also are going to visit Disney Springs and, if we are looking for something else to do, we may walk over to GF or take monorail to CR. We are looking SO looking forward to this trip! :cloud9:

Has anyone stayed at a WDW resort but NOT visited any of the four main parks? Would you ever do this? What resort would you chose if you did?

So some background on why I'm asking this: DS1 is stationed in the Florida panhandle and we're an 8 hour drive away in the Charleston, SC area. You'll see in my signature that we've been to WDW multiple times. We last went as a family along with both boys' girlfriends last summer, DH and I celebrated our anniversary on our first trip as couple in Jan., and DS1's GF is currently doing her 2nd college program working there now. DS1 is going this weekend to meet up with her for vacation and is taking the plunge to get a Florida resident pass (she is an annual passholder too). DS2 also went last Thanksgiving with his GF and her family. He came up with the idea of meeting up over the summer at WDW with DS1 instead of us going to visit him- it's about a 6 hour drive for each of us. DS1's on board too.
I'm concerned that DH won't want to go back so soon since we talked about going back next year once Star Wars land is open, since we're all huge fans. Do we have the money? Yes, though he may say we need to put it in savings instead of spending so much at Disney.
So I thought maybe we can go down there, stay at a resort, and maybe do a water park (which surprisingly none of us have ever done), mini golf, Disney Springs activities, pool time at the resort, resort hopping to enjoy different restaurants, and activities at other resorts. But I wonder if we'll regret not going to the 4 parks.

What do y'all think? TIA for all opinions!
I would do this at Beach Club or Yacht Club Resort, to enjoy Stormalong Bay and the water parks. I would also do this at Animal Kingdom Lodge, to enjoy its animals, pools & the water parks. But I would only do it during a warm season so that swimming or going to water parks could be a big part of the itinerary.

I would not to it at a moderate or value, as they're less comfortable, or even at a deluxe resort like Wilderness Lodge that didn't have an amazing pool. I would also avoid the Polynesian and Grand Floridian, as I wouldn't want to be gazing at the Magic Kingdom if I couldn't go.

Disney's water parks are wonderful. Visiting them and staying at a great resort would make a very nice trip.

I would do this at Beach Club or Yacht Club Resort, to enjoy Stormalong Bay and the water parks. I would also do this at Animal Kingdom Lodge, to enjoy its animals, pools & the water parks. But I would only do it during a warm season so that swimming or going to water parks could be a big part of the itinerary.

I would not to it at a moderate or value, as they're less comfortable, or even at a deluxe resort like Wilderness Lodge that didn't have an amazing pool. I would also avoid the Polynesian and Grand Floridian, as I wouldn't want to be gazing at the Magic Kingdom if I couldn't go.

Disney's water parks are wonderful. Visiting them and staying at a great resort would make a very nice trip.

It is funny how we are all so different. :)

I could never stay at the BC/YC, right next store to Epcot and not enter it. I’d go insane. But I can stare at the castle all day and night from the Poly and be content and have no desire to enter the MK.

It is funny how we are all so different. :)

I could never stay at the BC/YC, right next store to Epcot and not enter it. I’d go insane. But I can stare at the castle all day and night from the Poly and be content and have no desire to enter the MK.
Guess it's all about which is your favorite park. ::yes::

Apart from a Dvc night at magic kingdom, I haven’t entered a WDW park during open hours since 2015. And I’ve been to Wdw since.

My cousin and I have done Princess four years in a row, staying on my Dvc points. Tickets aren’t in her budget, so we don’t go. We’ve stayed at bay lake twice, the Grand Floridian villas, and this last trip was boardwalk villas and AK Kidani.

We wander, visit lounges, check out springs, swim...and are are never bored.

This last trip I was prepared to buy us both tickets to somewhere, and then the opportunity never presented itself. So I went home with money. :)

This is our plan for our first trip post kids just the two of us. Golf in the morning, books and wine on the balcony all afternoon a signature dinner with a fireworks view somewhere. Days by the pool or at the Spa. A few day trips. Maybe a short cruise frankly I can't wait I am parked out but still love WDW

We're planning to try a similar trip soon. We'll be at CSR for three nights before a cruise at the end of June. Since our trips are usually in cooler weather, we've never been to Blizzard Beach, so we're planning to do a water park day and a resort day. The pool at CSR is one of our favorites, too, so I guess we'll be doing lots of swimming. We've also never done Fanstasia mini-golf so we might do that, too. It's weird not buying park tickets, but I think we'll still have a lot of fun!

I think that would be hard for me. lol I would give it a shot though. Except if I was skipping the parks, I would have to go do mini golf at winter summer land. It looks so cute, but who has the time when they are rope dropping?

We did stay at Disney resorts often without going into the parks, normally one weekend a month when we lived within 20 minutes of WDW. We visited the parks so often that we would just let DS pick a resort he wanted to do a pool weekend at. It was actually very fun and relaxing. I don't know if I would have been able to not go into a park while staying so near if I didn't get to on a weekly basis though. You said that DH and you are going to take trip for DWGE, maybe invest in annual passes this year? If that's not feasible, I would stay off site, drive to DS, go to a water park, mini golf and activities in Orlando. You'll have a great time, and most likely get more for your money not staying in a Disney resort. Either way, have a great family trip with your children!!!!

We did a non park stay in 2017 at POR in December and in 2018 at Poly during Thanksgiving. Both were great experiences. We enjoyed just staying at the resorts and relaxing, heading over to Disney Springs and soaking up all the holiday magic. We would do a non park stay in a heart beat (maybe next time at AKL).

I don't think I would do it. There are so many other great options for hotels in the area.

We haven’t done this but absolutely would! It sounds like a relaxing way to enjoy non-park activities, which are so hard to fit in when you’re trying to get your money’s worth out of park tickets. My preference would be Beach Club. And worst case scenario -if you get there and discover you just can’t stay without visiting a park, you can always purchase a park pass.

I would get a much nicer room off property rather than pay for all of those perks your not using. You'll still have a great time and sleep in in much more comfy bed to boot! Try Rosen Centre on International. On hotwire it's usually around $99. Can't beat that for a really nice room!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter