Staying at a WDW resort WITHOUT visiting the parks?

Sydney2977

DIS Veteran
Has anyone stayed at a WDW resort but NOT visited any of the four main parks? Would you ever do this? What resort would you chose if you did?

So some background on why I'm asking this: DS1 is stationed in the Florida panhandle and we're an 8 hour drive away in the Charleston, SC area. You'll see in my signature that we've been to WDW multiple times. We last went as a family along with both boys' girlfriends last summer, DH and I celebrated our anniversary on our first trip as couple in Jan., and DS1's GF is currently doing her 2nd college program working there now. DS1 is going this weekend to meet up with her for vacation and is taking the plunge to get a Florida resident pass (she is an annual passholder too). DS2 also went last Thanksgiving with his GF and her family. He came up with the idea of meeting up over the summer at WDW with DS1 instead of us going to visit him- it's about a 6 hour drive for each of us. DS1's on board too.
I'm concerned that DH won't want to go back so soon since we talked about going back next year once Star Wars land is open, since we're all huge fans. Do we have the money? Yes, though he may say we need to put it in savings instead of spending so much at Disney.
So I thought maybe we can go down there, stay at a resort, and maybe do a water park (which surprisingly none of us have ever done), mini golf, Disney Springs activities, pool time at the resort, resort hopping to enjoy different restaurants, and activities at other resorts. But I wonder if we'll regret not going to the 4 parks.

What do y'all think? TIA for all opinions!

Personally, especially if you will have a car, I would look for a nice, offsite hotel to stay in in the area or even consider renting a house for everyone. There is such an upcharge to stay onsite and the perks that are included - DME, 60 day FP+ reservations, etc. - you won't need if you aren't staying in the park. You can stay offsite for less and still enjoy a water park, mini-golf, DS, resort hopping, etc.

We stayed at SSR last year and didn't do any Disney parks. We enjoyed the resort and Disney Springs while visiting many offsite attractions. It was lovely.

I agree with the above... for what you're doing, you can do all of that exactly the same staying at a nearby off-site for cheaper. The premium price to pay for a Disney resort gets lost when you're not using what you're paying the premium for (park-related perks and DME). Disney resorts are fun but I'd probably save the money and then use it for an extra activity or a fancier dinner or something like that.

Summer 2017 we stayed at POR with no park time and loved! This summer we are staying a few nights at AKL only so I can attend the DIS Pandora party alone. Kids and DH won’t visit any park.

Why not? Do whatever you want for your vacation and enjoy! The resorts are fun. If I owned DVC I probably would do a resort only stay and use my points, but our family really goes for the parks. There are many places I have never been to and would like to visit.

I can't imagine ever staying at a WDW hotel without going to the parks. There are several better hotels outside of WDW. Even Hard Rock and Portafino at Universal are nicer, with better service than most deluxe resorts at WDW.

We've done quite a few week long no park trips and thoroughly enjoyed each one. There is so much to do outside the parks that we never seem to get to normally. We always come home very well rested too. I highly recommend trying one.

With 30+ trips to WDW that normally are 10/11 days long, this summer's short trip will be a first for us without visiting any of the parks. My two daughters are both June birthday girls so my oldest is turning 21 and the baby is turning 14. I'm taking my oldest to Mexico to celebrate becoming a legal woman in every sense of the word so it's an adult only trip. Please don't feel bad for my youngest I'll explain why. So for my youngest daughter's 8th grade graduation/14th bday gift I'm taking her to New Orleans in June. She's been wanting to go there due to her interest in creole cooking and whatnot. So I'm taking just her and I've got cooking lessons lined up and dinner at the famous Commanders Palace and all sorts of things however, it's a short 3 night 4 day trip. Well, her older sister's trip to Mexico is a full week and so I felt bad; like I was short changing her so I looked into taking her back to Disney for a few days just she and I. My youngest LOVES Disney like her mum and older sister does but she's not a fan of most of the rides so usually when we go she will skip most of the big thrill rides. She loves the shows the atmosphere and everything else. So I planned this short trip (only 3 nights 4 days) doing the Hoop Dee Doo Musical Revue, Dinner at the California Grille (she's never been) timed perfectly to watch HEA, an entire day at the Grand Floridian Spa, an afternoon tea also at the Grand Floridian and other Disney non park experiences. We're also staying at the new Gran Destino tower at the Coronado so that will be exciting for her since it officially opens on July 9th and we'll be there starting the 24th of July so we'll be one of the first ones to stay there. I think Disney has so much to do outside of the parks that every once and a while planning a trip that doesn't include many or any of the parks allow you the opportunity to do something you may not normally get the chance to do because you're cramming so much into your vacation and you're exhausted and those non park things get over looked. Also while her older sister and I will be in Mexico late August she would have just returned from 11 days in Australia with her dad. So like I said this kid is living the life this summer.

Have a wonderful trip with or without the parks, they're not going anywhere and they only get better. So the next time you're ready to go they'll be even more stuff to cram into your next park filled vacation.

I would never do it but my parents have a couple of times now.
They stayed at value resorts and just wanted the Disney theme for a couple of days while on their yearly November trip.
But me, 98% of why I go is for the parks so there's no way I'd go and not go to the parks.

I have done two trips without going to the parks. First time with my daughter (she did the parks with her friend) and second time with hubby.

We love to hang out by the pool during the day. Resort hop for lunch and/or dinner at other resorts (DVC and non-DVC), DS or the Boardwalk area. We love the Boardwalk and DS for a meal, ice cream or evening entertainment. We alternate.

We are DVC members so we will also go to the TOWL for a drink and view the fireworks. When I did the no parks the first time, I went to the AKL and took the free Boma/Jiko tour. Had dinner at Mara and watched the animals.

Not big shoppers here but you have golf, spas, fishing, watercraft activities, Jelly Rolls - there are quiet a few things to do that are not park related. It can be done.

Last edited:
We are DVC owners, at several resorts, and do it all the time. During a two week trip we might go to 2 or 3 parks during one day, otherwise we just hang by the pool and go to dinner at the many great restaurants. When we do go to parks we just hit the highlights. We usually go in March and also do spring baseball.

It sounds like you have wonderful things planned for your non-park trip. I haven’t stayed at Disney without going to a park and likely wouldn’t in the future. We spend a few hours in the park each day we are there. We do Disney resorts for the parks, NYC for plays and theatre, New Orleans for the food, certain Florida panhandle area hotels and rentals for the beach. But all of your trips sound lovely.

With the price of tickets and the crowds, I'm planning on staying at Riverside without going to the park. I like the pools, grounds, food options, and the boat ride to Disney Springs. A non Disney hotel doesn't feel like a relaxing vacation, you have to drive too much.

I don't think I could stay at a Disney resort and not visit the parks at all. If I'm all the way up there I might as well visit them. The hotels are also very expensive for what you get. You could stay at a much nicer hotel for a lot less off property. The only hotel that I could possibly see not visiting a park would be Animal Kingdom Lodge. I love sitting out on the balcony watching the animals.

DH and I spent a week at Yacht Club while we were looking for a home to purchase. This was a very good choice for us. We enjoyed the pool area when we were at the resort, the Boardwalk and DS (Downtown Disney then) in the evening for dining and the relaxing comfort of a beautiful resort while we searched for our retirement home. Now Florida resident AP holders for the past 11 years, we still talk about the wonderful time we spent at Yacht Club while home searching.

Has anyone stayed at a WDW resort but NOT visited any of the four main parks? Would you ever do this? What resort would you chose if you did?

So some background on why I'm asking this: DS1 is stationed in the Florida panhandle and we're an 8 hour drive away in the Charleston, SC area. You'll see in my signature that we've been to WDW multiple times. We last went as a family along with both boys' girlfriends last summer, DH and I celebrated our anniversary on our first trip as couple in Jan., and DS1's GF is currently doing her 2nd college program working there now. DS1 is going this weekend to meet up with her for vacation and is taking the plunge to get a Florida resident pass (she is an annual passholder too). DS2 also went last Thanksgiving with his GF and her family. He came up with the idea of meeting up over the summer at WDW with DS1 instead of us going to visit him- it's about a 6 hour drive for each of us. DS1's on board too.
I'm concerned that DH won't want to go back so soon since we talked about going back next year once Star Wars land is open, since we're all huge fans. Do we have the money? Yes, though he may say we need to put it in savings instead of spending so much at Disney.
So I thought maybe we can go down there, stay at a resort, and maybe do a water park (which surprisingly none of us have ever done), mini golf, Disney Springs activities, pool time at the resort, resort hopping to enjoy different restaurants, and activities at other resorts. But I wonder if we'll regret not going to the 4 parks.

What do y'all think? TIA for all opinions!
Polynesian is our favorite. When we were there in July for our 25th Anniversary, the resort was so incredible that the parks were almost an afterthought.

We enjoyed dinner at Cali Grill, Narcoossees, 'Ohana; renewed our vows; viewed fireworks during a private cruise; rented a cabana at our resort pool; visited & shopped at the other deluxe resorts. The only thing we didn't get to do was a Spa day. We only went to MK & Epcot for 5 mornings. We could have easily had a very full vacation without going to any parks at all.

We've done quite a few week long no park trips and thoroughly enjoyed each one. There is so much to do outside the parks that we never seem to get to normally. We always come home very well rested too. I highly recommend trying one.

This is what I have been thinking about doing for a few days this summer.

I think Disney has so much to do outside of the parks that every once and a while planning a trip that doesn't include many or any of the parks allow you the opportunity to do something you may not normally get the chance to do because you're cramming so much into your vacation and you're exhausted and those non park things get over looked.
Have a wonderful trip with or without the parks, they're not going anywhere and they only get better. So the next time you're ready to go they'll be even more stuff to cram into your next park filled vacation.

This exactly! When we go, there is only so much time we have and so many things I wanted to explore and try that were not in a park that I was unable to do due to the time constraint. So, a few days a Disney without the expense of park tickets sounds like something that will work for me and you too, so I say go for it!

With the price of tickets and the crowds, I'm planning on staying at Riverside without going to the park. I like the pools, grounds, food options, and the boat ride to Disney Springs. A non Disney hotel doesn't feel like a relaxing vacation, you have to drive too much.

Agree! I think I want the Disney feel and if I have a discounted room, the price should be comparable. Plus, I will not have to spend time traveling back and forth.

We've done it twice. The first time we stayed one night after a cruise. We stayed at POR, arriving around 10am after we got off the ship. We chose POR because of the boat to Disney Springs where we knew we'd spend time. We spent most of the day relaxing at the pool, and spent the evening at Disney Springs. The next morning, we did Chef Mickey's breakfast and used DME to return to the airport.

The second time we did it was when we were visiting my parents at their condo in Tampa. The four of us drove in and stayed at SSR for the night so that we could enjoy Disney Springs, which is walking distance. We also had drinks at ESPN Club at the Boardwalk, drinks at Trader Sam's at Poly, and dinner at Whispering Canyon at WL.

We were able to see and do a lot without setting foot in the parks. Doing a resort character meal or two helps. It worked well for our circumstances, being that our vacation focus was elsewhere. We got our dose of Disney in. But I'm not sure I'd travel to WDW JUST for a resort only stay.

As far as the resort, I would suggest something convenient to Disney Springs (SSR, OKW, POR/POFQ) or a resort with an awesome pool, like Beach Club. From others' reports I've read, pools and the Springs seem to be the main focus when not visiting the parks. The Epcot resort area (BWI, BC/YC, Swan/Dolphin) is also a great location for several dining options as well.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter