Staying 2 nights, every month, how many points?

DLM1980

Supreme Fraggle Extrodinaire!
I don't follow DVC much, we toured and declined a few times, it only made sense if we normally stay Deluxe at WDW which we don't, we've almost always stayed Moderate and we only went once a year.

Now, due to my partner getting a job down here in FL, we plan on visiting more often, but we live in Tallahassee so its a 4 hour drive each way. We've already picked up our FL Resident APs and Saturday after work at 8pm my partner said "Wanna go to Disney?" to which I replied, we need to book a room and go NOW then cause I'm not wasting a day driving.

So it got me wondering, if we visited WDW 2 nights every month (his days off are Sunday and Monday, I'm currently unemployed) how much are we gonna be spending on hotel rooms and would finally buying into DVC finally save us money.

I tried going to Saratoga Springs at the preview center to just quickly ask the question possibly see a point calendar and was told I would need to speak to a guide and make an appointment, however I didn't have time for that, nor did I want to do a tour again, I needed to get back on the road to get home at a reasonable hour.

I understand that points needed for stays varies at time of year, and type of room. But lets say its just the two of us, so a studio is fine, and I'm fine with using whatever the greatest amount of points is in a month.

Is there a range of points one would need to be able to go for 2 nights every month?

What is the current maintenance fee per point?

is there any other fee I'm not taking into consideration?

I don't follow DVC much, we toured and declined a few times, it only made sense if we normally stay Deluxe at WDW which we don't, we've almost always stayed Moderate and we only went once a year.

Now, due to my partner getting a job down here in FL, we plan on visiting more often, but we live in Tallahassee so its a 4 hour drive each way. We've already picked up our FL Resident APs and Saturday after work at 8pm my partner said "Wanna go to Disney?" to which I replied, we need to book a room and go NOW then cause I'm not wasting a day driving.

So it got me wondering, if we visited WDW 2 nights every month (his days off are Sunday and Monday, I'm currently unemployed) how much are we gonna be spending on hotel rooms and would finally buying into DVC finally save us money.

I tried going to Saratoga Springs at the preview center to just quickly ask the question possibly see a point calendar and was told I would need to speak to a guide and make an appointment, however I didn't have time for that, nor did I want to do a tour again, I needed to get back on the road to get home at a reasonable hour.

I understand that points needed for stays varies at time of year, and type of room. But lets say its just the two of us, so a studio is fine, and I'm fine with using whatever the greatest amount of points is in a month.

Is there a range of points one would need to be able to go for 2 nights every month?

The number of points required to make a reservation is dependent on the resort and the season when you are visiting.
2018 Points Charts
That number is also dependent on the home resort.
2017 Maintenance Fees
In addition to maintenance fees, you can expect to pay one-time settlement costs for your purchase. Those costs would depend on the title company and the cost of the contract.

TBH, DVC ownership does not lend itself well to "hey, let's take a quick, last-minute" trips. You need to be able to plan months in advance or be flexible with your dates and resorts. And even then, being flexible may not be enough during the busier DVC seasons.

Last edited:
First column is the points needed for the two most expensive consecutive days in the month.

Second column is the points needed for the two least expensive consecutive days in a month.

Saratoga
Jan 28 22
Feb 36 26
Mar 50 28
Apr 50 28
May 34 26
Jun 36 26
Jul 36 28
Aug 34 26
Sep 28 22
Oct 32 24
Nov 34 24
Dec 50 22

448 points worst case
302 points best case

And in fall, getting last minute availability is a rarity. DVC is designed to run at 100%, and is also set up to really book out well before the last minute.

This!
It's getting harder and harder to book last minute trips using DVC.
I get that, but if I can already see us going at least once a month for two days, I can then say these aren't last minute things, I'd be booking them in advance. Although one could only book 11 months in advance, but can one have 11 separate reservations?

I get that, but if I can already see us going at least once a month for two days, I can then say these aren't last minute things, I'd be booking them in advance. Although one could only book 11 months in advance, but can one have 11 separate reservations?
You can have as many reservations as you have points to book them. But you can only book your home resort at 11 months before arrival. If you want to stay at one of the other DVC resorts, you have to wait until 7 months out.

Sure but the other issue, one that hasn't been mentioned, is that the current points schedule could change (reallocation) and has in the past as could his schedule.

Ahhh, I see. I thought you were talking about just booking at the last minute when you felt the urge to go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter