Started off with a BANG- Magical Wish family vacation 2/13-2/23 (UPDATED 2 years later!)

pacsunmama

Earning My Ears
Hello! I am going to try to write up a synopsis of our amazing trip! I might shorthand some things and go back & elaborate when I'm home and on my computer. For now, here's some background!

Backstory, part 1:

My husband, an active duty, generally healthy Army guy, was diagnosed 18 months ago with stage 4 colon cancer. He's been fighting very hard and doing his best to stay "hooah" and positive throughout his treatment, multiple setbacks, and a handful of surgeries. In August he had a very large tumor removed from his pelvis, in addition to his bladder and prostate. Next up, after recovering for a few months, was the plan to remove ~65% of his liver, taking out the parts with the cancer tissue and tumors.
IMG_0060.JPG
January 20, they took him back for surgery. About an hour later, the surgeon called me back. I wasn't worried- I knew they had to scope the area first to determine exactly their plan, before getting all the way into it. I was not prepared, however, to learn that the surgery was not going to proceed. Once they scoped, they saw that small tumor nodules covered his liver- these did not show up on CT. The rest of the day was a blur and a nightmare. Comforting my husband while he was waking up from anesthesia, while he was confused and upset, and very afraid because he knew something wasn't right. But then, due to the amnesiac effect of the meds, he would forget what I said and it started all over again. This went on for an hour.

Needless to say, there was rum in my near future. Not much- I'm a lightweight and don't drink much or often. But I ended up talking with a few friends late that night, crying on their shoulders via text. One of these friends listened kindly and was supportive and gentle with me, as well as encouraging. I let it all out, and cried and said how I was so sad because he is not done. We aren't done! We have memories still to make, things to do together! One of these things I mentioned was taking the kids to Disneyland. She perked up at that and said, that is totally do'able. "It's easy," she said. I told her it was a lovely thought but Disney is so much. It's too much, in too short of a time, and we would just continue dreaming about it and maybe someday it would happen.
IMG_0243.JPG
(I'll put some photos in here once I figure out how to)

Last edited:
Backstory, part 2:

I slept in the next day. Pretty late since I hadn't slept much during the days leading up to his surgery. Plus you know, rum. (Mmmm!) I received a message from two of my amazing military spouse friends, B and J. They asked if they could come over that afternoon and drop off a few things. We were just planning to sit in our pajamas, watch movies, and mope around. So I told them yes.

4pm rolled around and they showed up, three pints of Ben & Jerry Chocolate Therapy, and a tote bag of goodies. They told me that inside the bag was a hint as to what they had planned.

Inside the bag were bright yellow travel ponchos, a beautiful Thomas Kinkade Mickey cross stitch kit (I am an avid stitcher), a homemade bird feeder, and a bag of cute Disney character pins. I was in disbelief, like, no way. This isn't possible but it's kind of them to think of this. Wanting to mope, I was just thinking, "guys it's not going to happen. Thank you but let's move on..." didn't say that, but I thought it.

They say me down and explained their plan. They wanted to try to fundraise so that we could take a Disney trip, and take it SOON. Like, within a week or two. In fact, in the hours since I had been chatting with B, they already had started raising a bit of money.

After some tears and convincing, I told them I was onboard. I was not honestly very hopeful this would work, but figured we maybe could take out a loan or credit card to do this anyway. They were right- this needed to be something we could experience together, making special memories as a family.

Almost as soon as I agreed, B & J flew out the door, off to their scheming and plotting. Within the hour, B had started a GoFundMe page and was sharing it with our mutual friends and in my husband's medical update group for friends and family. Within a few hours, it was already getting shared like crazy amongst friends and family. B had set a goal of $5,000.

At 24 hours, it was up to about $6,000. We were absolutely stunned. People kept donating so B doubled the goal. Less than 48 hours from starting, it had met the second goal.

Now, in this whirlwind, we were just stupefied. Stunned. Absolutely flabbergasted and in disbelief- how could something this amazing be real?? All the meanwhile we were working with an amazing Disney agent who was frantically trying to book our trip. Unfortunately at the same time as all this, Disney's site was down for maintenance. She persisted though, and managed to make our reservations. Not only for us, but my family and my husband's decided they wanted to come as well! So this Disney TA had fewer than 3 weeks to plan an amazing adventure for 11 people.

I'll probably add more here later because there is a LOT to say for the absolute miracle of this coming together. And our immense gratitude for it as well. We've just spent our first day at the resort though and I want to jot things down while fresh in my mind. So I'll move on to our first day. (And figure how to get photos up)

Fast forward to today, the first day of our adventure! I don't have a planned format for how I want to report but I'll try to sum up the plans at the top then go into detail of how things actually went, below.

Monday February 13
Plans:
Fly BWI to MCO, arriving early, 9:05am
Check into Polynesian, club level room, just for the night
Lots of lounging, swimming, setting in
Kona Cafe @ 7pm
Fireworks from the beach!

How it actually went:

We woke up bright and early and we're all up and dressed by 4:45am. A friend of mine came along to drive our van back from the airport. Cue happy chatter.

Weather this morning in Maryland was severely windy, with gusts of 50-60mph. We thought, no big deal, we will be in sunny Florida soon, who cares about some wind??

I drove and everyone buckled in. It's only about 15-20 minutes from my house to the airport. I could feel the wind gusting through but it wasn't too bad, I had full control of the vehicle. Suddenly there was a flash up ahead. It seemed to be about 50 yards ahead of us, to the left side of the road. It was very bright, as if lightning had touched down. Immediately another burst of light, slightly bigger, followed by a very loud booming noise. I let my foot off the gas and slowed down but continued straight, and less than a second later, a hailstorm of wood and wood shards slammed into the front of my van. It seemed as if it were raining tanbark! Immediately my car was off balance and began thumping, so I thought, of great I have a flat or am dragging a piece of wood under the car. Additionally wondering what the heck just happened. Instinctively I knew what had happened, but it was so fast that the words hadnt formed in my brain yet.

I pulled to the side of the road to inspect the damage. My husband got out and went to the front of the car, then started yelling at me to cut the engine. As it turns out, I wasn't merely dragging a piece of wood. Actually, three very large sections of a tree were impaled into and through the front of my van!
IMG_0484.JPGIMG_0487.JPG
I found that I couldn't open my driver door, but my husband and friend jumped into action mode. She called her husband, he called the police, and I called Southwest. Our flight was to leave in 2 hours' time!!

After some time, an officer came to help us. He took our info and we arranged a tow. At this point, I ordered an Uber XL (at 5:30am!) They had stopped traffic in both directions so our driver got stuck in the fray, just a few hundred yards away. The officer allowed her to drive up the opposite side of the road to get us and all of our luggage. We left the keys in the car for the tow truck, and booked it to the airport!! We made it through with maybe 2-3 minutes to spare; they were already well into boarding. I did lose 2 brand new bottles of my favorite sunscreen, I meant to put it in the checked luggage but I guess I mixed that up. Ah well!

So we left our van and that crazy wind behind (which made for a slightly terrifying takeoff.) A short 2-hour flight later, we arrived in beautiful Orlando!

The weather was overcast but nice, warm with a breeze. We took the Magical Express. Only thing to note here is we requested the airline assist hubs with a wheelchair and we totally forgot about it until later. After that long walk, I wish I had remembered, he gets tired so easily. But he's a trooper and stubborn so it worked out!
IMG_0518.JPG
We arrived at our resort for the night- the Polynesian! I wanted to stay here so badly but when family decided to come too, we opted to stay at the Port Orleans Riverside instead. More affordable and probably also, more our pace. We were greeted with a welcoming "Aloha," which may seem simple but I loved it!!

Pete at the check in was amazing. I think we had our first Magic moment, I think that's what I've seen it referred to! He asked my boys what their favorite characters were, and brought them out adorable Stitch (actually, Experiment 626) plushies! He walked us to the Hawaii building and gave us helpful information about the property as we walked along.
IMG_0531.JPG
You guys. Walking out into the terrace and seeing Cinderella's castle in the distance... I can't even begin to explain. All of this has seemed very surreal, like it was happening to and for someone else. But right then it all came swirling in, and seemed VERY real! "We are really here, in Disney, and that is the real castle!!" I thought to myself. Wow!

We changed into swimsuits in the lounge bathroom, after checking in. Our concierge CM was very nice and gave us all the basic info, as well as some sand pails and shovels for the kids to play with on the beach. The water slides at Poly are down for maintenance this week, so they invited us to go to the Grand Floridian to use their slides. We figured, what the heck? Let's go! (Forgot to add we had lunch at Captain Cooks while the kids played with hula hoops on the lawn!)

Hop, skip, and a boat ride away (heh) we were there! I loved the boat ride!! I kind of want to go sit on the ferry boats for hours, just enjoying the scenery.

Summarizing the rest for now bc I need sleep, but I'll come back to this later and fill in the 2nd half of our day when I have a chance.

Loved the GF pool! Lifeguard was super sweet and my 5-year old got a little junior lifeguard lesson and souvenir from her.
IMG_0579.JPG

Monorail back to Poly

Snacks at Poly lounge

Back to our room for a siesta (for me) and to the volcano pool (for hubby and boys)

Kona cafe for dinner- lots of sushi! Hidden Mickey hunting and matching Stitch sweatshirts for the boys
IMG_0604.JPG
Snuck over to see the fireworks- oops, dinner overlapped so we didn't watch from the beach

Picked up some little desserts from the lounge and finished up our day by sitting together on a beach swing, talking about the day and our favorite memories from it.IMG_0614.JPG

Phew! And that was day 1!!!

Last edited:
Tuesday February 14
Plans:
Open Valentines!
Breakfast snacks at lounge
Pack up belongings and deliver to bellhop/transfer services
Beach or swimming
Ohana brunch @ 11
Check out of poly
(But probably still swim)
OR go to magic kingdom

2ish- my family and his sister land at mco
Check into PoR
Swim, explore, play!
6ish- in laws land at mco
7:50- adr for all 11 of us @ Boatwrights

Okay day 2: it's 12:13am and I'm exhausted. Today wasn't so magical but I'm trying to make the most of it and the kids had fun.

Summarizing because I really need to get some sleep (icing my knee now, had a recent knee surgery and did a lot of walking today.)

Ohana was fantastic- food was great and my kids went absolutely bananas over meeting Pluto, Mickey, Lilo, and Stitch. My 5yo drew a little picture for Stitch and gave it to him, it was really sweet.

We made our way over to Port Orleans to check in. Here's where things started to slide downhill a bit. The check in process was great, the staff was nice and helpful. We spent some time chatting with a concierge CM who was super funny and welcoming. We checked in pretty early, probably about 12:30-1. So I was a little frustrated when it wasn't until 3:30 that we got our room number. They put us on the 2nd floor- we requested a 1st floor room since we both have scooters. Him because he is easily fatigued and me because I had an ACL reconstruction 4 months ago. And there are no elevators. So back to the front desk I went.

At that point I found out that we had booked a preferred room but they actually booked a regular garden room. I need to read through my emails and bills bc I know I paid the preferred rate (I have the email.) Apparently they're booked solid for 1st floor rooms. They had to separate us from the rest of family traveling in our group- which is not great since they're here to help with the kids. Eventually we got a room in building 24, which was close enough to building 28 where the family was staying. By the time we get into the room it's about 5. Once we got there (and all our luggage, etc) my sister in law stepped on a wet spot in her socks. Then we noticed two others. And then we noticed they were wet with something yellow (dabbed with a tissue.) So gross. There were pee puddles all over the floor.

I sent the kids with my SIL to the pool and called the front desk. My travel agent also called, as well as another person who tried to help. So we are all trying to figure this out. They tried putting us totally on opposite sides of the resort from our family. (Uh, no.) Eventually they were able to move my inlaws and us to one building (80) and keep my parents in building 28. (We just walked it... it's a 10-minute walk between their room and ours. No way the kids can go by themselves :( ) additionally the other room had a capacity of 5, whereas the new one has a capacity of 4, and apparently they don't have rollaway beds.

It is what it is, I guess. I'm frustrated and still don't feel like it's an adequate solution. I'm finding myself wishing we stayed at the Polynesian. Everything seemed so seamless and easy there! I didn't feel like there was any of that "Disney magic" here. It was just too stressful and nobody seemed really willing to do anything about it. As we left the pee room, a housekeeping lady came by (I assumed for our room bc she approached us) and when I showed her to pee on the floor, she just shrugged and walked away. We got to our new room at about 7:15. So now we did absolutely nothing at our resort for over 6 hours, except wait, wait, move, wait, wait.... and a looooot of walking. This is why I booked a preferred room- less walking and travel for my husband (and my knee!) I really don't know what happened there. Disney changed my reservation. The confirmation I have says preferred room on the "pre-payment" confirmation, and garden or standar room on the actual final confirmation that was made within 12 hours of the first. The price quoted is the same as what I paid. So I don't get it.

I don't know. I'm telling myself we are just lucky to even be here. But my kids aren't even all in the same room as us. Since we don't have enough beds, my youngest is bunking tonight with my in laws at the end of the hallway. Tomorrow we may have to figure out something else and build a bed out of towels & blankets on the floor. I'm not happy with it but they made it seem like there was nothing else they could do. If it weren't a hassle I'd seriously ask if they could move us to another resort entirely, but I already wasted a half a day on this. I didn't even put on sunscreen.

I'm sorry y'all. I'll try to find the magic tomorrow I promise! If any seasoned vets have advice please let me know. My kid is going to be sleeping on the floor at Disney world. That shouldn't even be a thing. Like, why are we paying to stay in a moderate when it doesn't even feel as good as like, Holiday Inn Express?

We did get to swim for about an hour until it was time for dinner. My parents showed up with my 2, no make that THREE brothers! My "oldest younger" brother surprised us and came along for the trip! He is bunking in my dads room. Can't believe he pulled that off!!

We had a nice dinner at Boatwrights. I didn't get any photos of dinner because we were rushed and had so much going on, but the crawfish mac & cheese served with the steak was wonderful! Dessert and apps were so so, nothing amazing, but it was fine. It was nice to share a meal with so much of our family! Being an Army family, that's a novelty we just NEVER have the opportunity for!

After walking forever to get everyone back to their rooms, we briefly skimmed over our plans for tomorrow and then headed to our room to chat a bit before having a late bedtime. I didn't factor the extra walking time into anything. My kids are going to be absolute bears tomorrow if they don't rest well, so I don't think we are going to be able to rope drop like I had hoped for our first day.

Tomorrow's plans:
Wednesday feb 15:
Magic kingdom!
10am brunch at Crystal Palace
Fast passes for Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, and Buzz Lightyear. Plus we have 3 extra fast passes, though I'm not sure how those exactly work. And my brother that surprised us doesn't have them. I don't know. I guess I'll deal with that tomorrow, or he can just wait in lines.

That's all we have planned tomorrow. I didn't want to overplan, which is good because after today, hubs and I will need to slow our pace tomorrow and find the happy again. We picked up some pin sets for the kids (cha Ching!!! Holy cow they are expensive for little pins!) so I think they'll enjoy trading the pins if we see any CM doing it.

Are these Disney blues? I feel like I'm supposed to be happy, but I'm so frustrated at the experience we had today. We didn't really get what I'd consider an adequate solution and it didn't really seem like they cared one way or another. Also their hands were tied but this resort can't possibly be at capacity? It seems so empty! Any suggestions? What should I do? If everyone could have afforded deluxe, I wish we could have done that, but that wasn't fair to our family (who paid for themselves) so that's why we chose this one. Gah. Okay I need sleep. Maybe the magic will come back tomorrow!!!

It's also not letting me add photos right now. I'll try again tomorrow.

Are these Disney blues? I feel like I'm supposed to be happy, but I'm so frustrated at the experience we had today. We didn't really get what I'd consider an adequate solution and it didn't really seem like they cared one way or another. Also their hands were tied but this resort can't possibly be at capacity? It seems so empty! Any suggestions? What should I do? If everyone could have afforded deluxe, I wish we could have done that, but that wasn't fair to our family (who paid for themselves) so that's why we chose this one. Gah. Okay I need sleep. Maybe the magic will come back tomorrow!!!

It's also not letting me add photos right now. I'll try again tomorrow.

First off, I am sorry are having such a bad time POR. Secondly, I highly suggest you go down to the Front Desk sometime today and speak to someone about your situation. See when you and your TA called the "Front Desk" neither one of you were speaking to someone actually at POR. You both were speaking to someone at a centralized call center. Granted, that is no excuse for the poor customer service you have endured so far. But the call center CMs are not the same as the resort CMs. I know from personal experience that the CMs at POR are wonderful. I can almost guarantee that if you speak to someone at POR, you will get this resolved to your satisfaction. I bet they will even be surprised you are/were having such a hard time getting this resolved.

Good luck and here's hoping tomorrow is a much better day!

Last edited:
First off, I am sorry are having such a bad time POR. Secondly, I highly suggest you go down to the Front Desk sometime today and speak to someone about your situation. See when you and your TA called the "Front Desk" neither one of you were speaking to someone actually at POR. You both were speaking to someone at a centralized call center. Granted, that is no excuse for the poor customer service you have endured so far. But the call center CMs are the same as the resort CMs. I know from personal experience that the CMs at POR are wonderful. I can almost guarantee that if you speak to someone at POR, you will get this resolved to your satisfaction. I bet they will even be surprised you are/were having such a hard time getting this resolved.

Totally agree, please go & speak with cast members at the front desk when you wake up. They need to make this situation right for you!

Holy Cow! Don't make the "best of this". Go to the front desk, ask to speak directly to a manager and insist that they make this right. Shoot, if I was closer I would do it for you.

I have to say that this is not a matter of the Poly vs. POR service and quality. No matter which resort you choose on WDW property, the room should be clean and if there are concerns they should be addressed properly. If a resort is overbooked, and they dropped the ball, as they did here big time, they need to rectify it. You do not make the best of this.

I am so sorry that yesterday is less magical than it should have been! We have stayed at both resorts several times and love them both! Of course the Poly does have the deluxe perks that you won't get at a moderate, but the condition of the PoR room is completely unacceptable. Accidents in selection, planning and location of rooms can happen, but room cleanliness shouldn't. I would go to the lobby and ask to speak to the manager and very calmly, unemotionally & briefly explain the significance of this trip and the struggles you are encountering and ask them if there is ANYTHING they can do to help make this "family memories" trip a less frustrating trip. We have always had great results with both of these resorts. Praying that things turn around quickly!!

First off, I am sorry are having such a bad time POR. Secondly, I highly suggest you go down to the Front Desk sometime today and speak to someone about your situation. See when you and your TA called the "Front Desk" neither one of you were speaking to someone actually at POR. You both were speaking to someone at a centralized call center. Granted, that is no excuse for the poor customer service you have endured so far. But the call center CMs are not the same as the resort CMs. I know from personal experience that the CMs at POR are wonderful. I can almost guarantee that if you speak to someone at POR, you will get this resolved to your satisfaction. I bet they will even be surprised you are/were having such a hard time getting this resolved.

I second this, you may have a TON better luck. I'm so sorry, but hopefully MK will be great for you.

Go to the front desk, explain the situation. They should provide you with a room that gives everyone in your party a bed...that's what you booked for crying out loud.
Hope you enjoy the MK today!!!

Definitely go to the front desk! They should come up with a solution that is adequate for your families needs! I really hope the rest of your trip is magical.

Best of luck. I agree talk to the manager, explain the health needs and why you need a first floor room and proximity to your parents.
This is supposed to be magical . Be polite and firm
So glad your brother surprised you. I would also stop st guest relations and see if they could link your brothers fast passes to yours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter