Star Wars watch order?

Bushando64

Twitch Streamer & Professional Goof
Howdy folks, as someone who isn't a huge Star Wars fan--I've only seen the original trilogy about a decade ago and don't remember much about them--what would you personally recommend as far as watching the titles available on Disney+?

Chronologically, as they were originally released?
Episodically, which makes a lot of sense to me in my brain?

Basically, I'm trying to give them all a fair shot and am looking for the most fun/intriguing/etc experience, lol

For the uninitiated I feel that release order is best, so:

IV A New Hope
V The Empire Strikes Back
VI Return of the Jedi

I The Phantom Menace
II Attack of the Clones
III Revenge of the Sith

VII The Force Awakens
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
VIII The Last Jedi
Solo: A Star Wars Story

Now, I am well-versed in Star Wars, so I prefer chronologically: I, II, III, Solo, Rogue One, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII. Both Solo and Rogue One take place between the Prequels and the Original Trilogy, with Rogue One leading directly into A New Hope. Still, I feel like the later movies expect you to know a little from the previous releases so I recommend release order for you.

Like BrianL I've seen them all many times and I've just restarted watching them. I'm going chronologically too but I really had a hard time starting with Phantom Menace. I made it through the movie but I had to force myself to watch it.

Many people like the Machete Order. You watch 4 A New Hope, 5 The Empire Strikes Back, then jump to 2 Attack of the Clones and 3 Revenge of the Sith to get the Darth Vader backstory. Then 6 Return of the Jedi to finish off the Darth Vader story. Afterward I'd go with 7 The Force Awakens and 8 The Last Jedi. Once those are done I'd do Rogue One and Solo for some more back story. Notice the Machete Order skips The Phantom Menace entirely.

Like BrianL I've seen them all many times and I've just restarted watching them. I'm going chronologically too but I really had a hard time starting with Phantom Menace. I made it through the movie but I had to force myself to watch it.

Well, personally, I love The Phantom Menace - It's my favorite one - a delightful, beautiful, and fun movie. OP, don't skip it - at least give it a chance. Despite what the Internet would have you believe it is actually quite worthwhile.

I am also watching them all right now - getting hyped for Episode IX - and with new 4K Disney+ transfers too!

NP BrianL. We all have different opinions.

Well sure - I just want the OP to give it a fair chance and not skip it due to "bad press." It really does get a bum rap in my opinion.

Have you watched the 4K transfers? TPM was looking nice last night!

This thread is timely as I am wanting to revisit these movies with Disney+ in 4k. I'm not a huge Star Wars guy but I enjoy the movies (own the first 7 of them.) I have an issue watching them in chapter order due to the less sophisticated production of IV-V-VI (though those might be the best films.)

Another question: Are the "Star Wars Story" films vital? Are they critical to the story arc of the main films?:":)

I don't have a 4K TV yet so no TPM in 4K. I admit it looks great even on the regular HD. I just can't handle the story and acting. But there are people who also hate episodes 7 and 8 and I think they're fine.

We watched the new trilogy to make sure we are ready for the ride. Then I booked tix for the final episode at Disney Springs the day before we go to SWGE :)

Now DH is backtracking and we started from Episode 1. Can't seem to get Episode 4 though...ugh. Really want to rewatch that.

This thread is timely as I am wanting to revisit these movies with Disney+ in 4k. I'm not a huge Star Wars guy but I enjoy the movies (own the first 7 of them.) I have an issue watching them in chapter order due to the less sophisticated production of IV-V-VI (though those might be the best films.)

Another question: Are the "Star Wars Story" films vital? Are they critical to the story arc of the main films?:":)

The side sotries aren't crucial, but they are good - very good. Rogue One is more intwined with A New hope, but Solo is pretty much superfluous (but, again, very enjoyable).

I appreciate all of this input, lol

As someone who wasn't incredibly moved by the original trilogy and only hearing murmurs of mixed reception for the second trilogy, I was wary about spending money at the movies 'cause I think it's a bit too expensive. Now that I'm older I may be able to appreciate them more? Still gotta flip a coin to see how I'm gonna end up watching them though, haha :surfweb:

Proper order?

IV A New Hope
V The Empire Strikes Back

After that? Why bother. Just varying degrees of awfulness.

I just recently went back to watch them all. And for the prequels and sequels this was the first time seeing them since I saw them in the theater.

I went in Episode order* (since I have seen them all before. If this is the first time someone was to see them, then I'd go in release date order).
* Threw in Rogue One between Episodes 3 and 4

@BrianL gave my exact answer.

First time viewers should see it in release order, to not spoil surprises. As a "well versed" fan, if I am sitting down to watch all of them, it's in chronological order.

They aren't crucial, although Rogue One ties directly in to A New Hope. Like, it ends days before the next one starts. Maybe hours. Solo, on the other hind, is kinda like a "side quest".

I tweeted this to Mark Hamill once and he actually replied....he said basically release order and said he didn't know what machete order is.

My recommendation:

Rogue One
Ep 4- A New Hope
Ep 5- Empire Strikes Back
Ep 2 - Attack of the Clones
Ep 3 - Phantom Menace
Ep 6 - Return of the Jedi
Ep 7 - The Force Awakens
Skip Ep 8 entirely

Watch Solo whenever...it's definitely not required viewing.

Rogue One
Ep 4- A New Hope
Ep 5- Empire Strikes Back
Ep 2 - Attack of the Clones
Ep 3 - Phantom Menace
Ep 6 - Return of the Jedi
Ep 7 - The Force Awakens
Skip Ep 8 entirely

If you are going to watch the dumpster fire that is Attack of the Clones, you might as well watch The Phantom Menace. And you should certainly watch The Last Jedi.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter