Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker discussion thread (*** now contains spoilers ***)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy sh........, The Mandalorian. Can’t wait until Friday.
I was caught offguard. I was fully expecting it to be Bleh. Boy, was I wrong! No spoilers here. But, I will say that Disney missed the boat by not theming Galaxy's Edge -- even just one of them -- after this show. Loved seeing all of the old OT stuff. Friday can't come soon enough!

I was caught offguard. I was fully expecting it to be Bleh. Boy, was I wrong! No spoilers here. But, I will say that Disney missed the boat by not theming Galaxy's Edge -- even just one of them -- after this show. Loved seeing all of the old OT stuff. Friday can't come soon enough!

Maybe the Mandalorian will visit Batuu? It seems like it could fit. Does the next episode come out Friday?

That was one thing that stood out to me. It was like "remember that one creature or droid or whatever that was in the OT for like 2 secs? Well here is something super similar!"

Darth Maul wasn't the redemption arc for our main character "chosen one", who had been manipulating him since childhood, so no.

I can see that - though I am holding out hope that Episode IX only adds to that not takes it away. Rumors of Anakin being in Ep IX as well and role he can play - either directly or my influencing Ben Solo or something ... I think there is a way to not undo what was done in Ep VI. But guess we shall have to see. If it totally retcons what happened in Ep VI then I think it is a mistake

I'm very interested to see if they incorporate Anakin into Ep 9. In my opinion, there is almost no way to fully redeem his character. Taking care of Palpatine doesn't balance out the crazy amount of atrocities committed as Vader. One of his first acts under the Emperor was wiping out a bunch of young padawans in cold blood! He continued on the books, comics, and other media to do plenty of other horrible acts. Chucking Palpatine doesn't come close to evening the karma score.

I kinda look at the Skywalker films as the redemption of the Skywalker name, not necessarily a specific character. If Anakin can't really be redeemed, could Ben Solo be the final redemption of the Skywalker name?

I'm very interested to see if they incorporate Anakin into Ep 9. In my opinion, there is almost no way to fully redeem his character. Taking care of Palpatine doesn't balance out the crazy amount of atrocities committed as Vader. One of his first acts under the Emperor was wiping out a bunch of young padawans in cold blood! He continued on the books, comics, and other media to do plenty of other horrible acts. Chucking Palpatine doesn't come close to evening the karma score.

I kinda look at the Skywalker films as the redemption of the Skywalker name, not necessarily a specific character. If Anakin can't really be redeemed, could Ben Solo be the final redemption of the Skywalker name?

Definitely not absolved of his war crimes, but Return of the Jedi did give him a clarity of mind before he passed,

Luke: Because there is good in him, I've felt it. He won't turn me over to the Emperor. I can save him; I can turn him back to the good side. I have to try.
Luke: No, you're coming with me. I won't leave you here. I've got to save you.
Anakin: You already have, Luke. You were right. You were right about me. Tell your sister... you were right.

If they choose to have Anakin as a Force ghost appearing to Ben, I'd expect some kind of "It's not too late for you" type dialogue. Honestly the only thing that bugs me if they do it is Ben has hero-worshiped Vader, not Anakin, for how long? If all he needs to hear is Anakin in death being on the Light side and not the Dark, why wouldn't Anakin have appeared to him sooner?

If Palpatine just shows Anakin as a Sith illusion or something to rattle Ben on being unable to live up to his familial talent though, that'd probably be fine.

Definitely not absolved of his war crimes, but Return of the Jedi did give him a clarity of mind before he passed,

Luke: Because there is good in him, I've felt it. He won't turn me over to the Emperor. I can save him; I can turn him back to the good side. I have to try.
Luke: No, you're coming with me. I won't leave you here. I've got to save you.
Anakin: You already have, Luke. You were right. You were right about me. Tell your sister... you were right.

If they choose to have Anakin as a Force ghost appearing to Ben, I'd expect some kind of "It's not too late for you" type dialogue. Honestly the only thing that bugs me if they do it is Ben has hero-worshiped Vader, not Anakin, for how long? If all he needs to hear is Anakin in death being on the Light side and not the Dark, why wouldn't Anakin have appeared to him sooner?

If Palpatine just shows Anakin as a Sith illusion or something to rattle Ben on being unable to live up to his familial talent though, that'd probably be fine.

well, it could be argued Ben wasn't ready to hear from Anakin yet ... but I could se ehim appear while Ben is staring at the Vaden helmet and saying something along the lines of "the dark side doesn't provide to you what you think it will - and I know you feel that. I thought it would grant me the power over life but it cost me everything I wanted to save instead. You can never fully atone for what you have done in the past but you can move forward and try to be better"

Something like that - I hope they don't fully "turn" Kylo good, but have him try to "do better" (also ties into a bit of the messaging in the "Resistance Reborn" book that just came out where the idea of acknowledging your past deeds, not being able to undo them, but trying to do better going forward

but I could se ehim appear while Ben is staring at the Vaden helmet and saying something along the lines of "the dark side doesn't provide to you what you think it will - and I know you feel that. I thought it would grant me the power over life but it cost me everything I wanted to save instead. You can never fully atone for what you have done in the past but you can move forward and try to be better"

Yea I had said on here after TFA that Ben "finishing what you started" was actually him "infiltrating" the Sith to end it.

He had to kill someone he loved (Han) as part of the requirement. No idea where its headed though.

The Mandalorian... WOW!! This might already be the best Star Wars thing Disney has done yet. That OT feel, the fun and surprising casting, and oh boy the music! The end-credits theme, with that spaghetti western tinge, is so perfect.

Just a note that from a certain point of view, Anakin Skywalker did none of those things - Darth Vader did. Anakin died at the moment he embraced the Dark Side. Now, you may not buy that, but the ways of The Force seem to recognize that is true.

The Mandalorian... WOW!! This might already be the best Star Wars thing Disney has done yet. That OT feel, the fun and surprising casting, and oh boy the music! The end-credits theme, with that spaghetti western tinge, is so perfect.
On a cameo sidenote... Did y'all see Brian Posehn (Bert, Big Bang Theory) as the transport driver? Hoping they bring him back for other scenes.

On a cameo sidenote... Did y'all see Brian Posehn (Bert, Big Bang Theory) as the transport driver? Hoping they bring him back for other scenes.

I did see him! Was saddened there weren't any geology references. I thought he, um, didn't fare well by the end of that scene though (as far as bringing him back)

I did see him! Was saddened there weren't any geology references. I thought he, um, didn't fare well by the end of that scene though (as far as bringing him back)
Yeah, that was awesome, he's known to be one of the biggest Star Wars geeks in Hollywood... but I don't expect we'll be seeing his character again. :yoda:

It is such a great time to be a Star Wars fan!

The Mandalorian is GREAT.

I have spoken.

Just caught Ep 2 and avoiding spoilers but ... if Disney is on the ball, Galaxy's Edge 'Creature Stall' shop needs to add a take home version of the 'Child/Bounty' ASAP. In just 1 episode, the creature in question is right up there with Porgs and Tookas

AND

Ladies and Gents, after years and years we finally have a great Star Wars video game ... JEDI: Fallen Order has released and it's getting great reviews. I didn't purchase yet, but did play it for a few hours today. I can say that it is indeed the best Star Wars game in years. From a single player action game, it's better that the Force unleashed games, and they were pretty solid.

There's nothing groundbreaking in Fallen Order, but from what I played it does everything right. The 3rd person action and set-pieces feel a lot like Uncharted mixed with God of War. The level design is more similar to Dark Souls. God of War, and Metroidvania. Great Story right off the bat and just feels like Star Wars

Thank You Respawn!

Mandilorian really lives up to the hype. Looking forward to Star Wars 9, am I the only one who wants nothing to do with Kylo Ren having a redemption moment. Killing his father the way he did, just finish him off is some grand way. Probably in the minority, but is not the first time.

just finish him off is some grand way.

Honestly, just finish them all off IMO. There's nobody alive, and no current new characters I care about anyway.

But that's the beauty of another movie, there is time-and have heard a couple theories that might help.

Liking Mandalorian though. :thumbsup2

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter