Star Wars Land--Disneyland vs. Disney World

2,772 days.....I loved that random number.. made my day..and your right there is no way to know.....but if we don't chat about the weather, then site revenues here go down.....heard it was hot At
Disneyland..........

Yep! It was hot in Anaheim yesterday. Hotter than here in AZ!! Granted, by one degree, but, still, it was hotter! LOL. I told dh that I can just imagine all the grouchy people trying to move around there to get to a ride.

I've never been to Disneyland so obviously I've never used MaxPass. When we go we are planning on going for 5 days. I figure each day we check into the Park, pull up the app and grab a Star Wars FP, sure it might be at 8 that night, but are people actually thinking the whole day will book up in the first 5 minutes? Do people think they will be available during early entry and onsite hotel guests will grab the whole day before regular rope drop? I guess it's really easy for me to imagine not being able to get any FPs for Star Wars on a 5 day trip to WDW (although our WDW trips are longer, but still...). I'm not quite sure what the scenario looks like where we couldn't get at least a few in 5 days at DLR. Short of the land simply not being open to the public how do people think it would go down that a rope-dropper with MaxPass couldn't get a FP some time in the day?

With MaxPass, you can book your first FP when your ticket is first scanned into the park, even if that is before Park opening, so really MaxPass give those that rope drop an even bigger advantage.

I would imagine for the first 3 mi the or so, FP will run out by about 30 minutes to an hour after the park opens. But also remember that if you have MaxPass and someone cancels their FP, you can grab it, so even if the FPs are all gone, check throughout the day just in case if you have MaxPass.

My recommendation is if you have access to early entry, use it and book the FP the second you are scanned into the parks. It is even better if you are at the front of the line and the CM scans your ticket before allowing guests into the park. The bottom line though is if you have MaxPass and do rope drop, you should be able to get a FP fairly easily. If you don't have access to early entry, then don't go to Disneyland on the days with early entry and use the same technique.

Yep! It was hot in Anaheim yesterday. Hotter than here in AZ!! Granted, by one degree, but, still, it was hotter! LOL. I told dh that I can just imagine all the grouchy people trying to move around there to get to a ride.
Apparently no one was there, which was probably a good thing since all Disney sites went down, including the app, which meant no MaxPass during that time.

Overall, if I was not a Disneyland local, I would probably think the WDW experience could be better. With the appropriate planning you will be able to get advance fastpasses and don’t need to worry about dealing with the rope drop chaos. And if you aren’t visiting SWGE that day, you may be able to get away from more of those crowds. At Disneyland, you will still need to get in the park to book FPs via Maxpass, and the available time slots will get taken quickly. The interactivity feature also would influence me.
If it goes anything like Pandora Flight of Passage in May 2017 (I was there opening morning, and got FP+ for both rides 60 days in advance), and I believe it will be worse than FOP, then FP+ will only work for WDW resort guests. And those will be long gone for non-resort guests 30 days in advance. And no one will cancel them and let folks get them day of. Plus WDW will likely split the two SWGE rides into tiers so no advance guests can get FPs for both in advance.

In this regard DLR MP will be better. Yes EMH/MM guests will garb all the morning FPs before regular guests can get in. But there are not enough EMH/MM folks to grab all the SWL FPs. So anyone arriving near rope drop and in the first 1-2 hours of the day should be able to get FPs for at least one of the rides. The EMH/MM folks should be able to get an FP for both. Assuming both have FP.

:wizard:

I would not at all be surprised if there was a maxpass price increase ahead of galaxys edge opening.
Exactly. When it first rolled out, $10/day was specifically described as an "introductory price". If they plan to increase it, then doing so before SWL seems like a given.

If it goes anything like Pandora Flight of Passage in May 2017 (I was there opening morning, and got FP+ for both rides 60 days in advance), and I believe it will be worse than FOP, then FP+ will only work for WDW resort guests. And those will be long gone for non-resort guests 30 days in advance. And no one will cancel them and let folks get them day of. Plus WDW will likely split the two SWGE rides into tiers so no advance guests can get FPs for both in advance.

In this regard DLR MP will be better. Yes EMH/MM guests will garb all the morning FPs before regular guests can get in. But there are not enough EMH/MM folks to grab all the SWL FPs. So anyone arriving near rope drop and in the first 1-2 hours of the day should be able to get FPs for at least one of the rides. The EMH/MM folks should be able to get an FP for both. Assuming both have FP.

How did you manage FP for both Pandora rides? Weren't both Pandora rides tier 1?

A couple things to note about FP/MP at DL no ride has ever run out of FP in 30 min. About 90 min to 2 hours or so for RSR and new opening rides. Anyone have any data on Incredicoaster opening day FP running out?

More importantly, at DL you can only get one FP at a time. Then you have to wait until you've used your pass (or time comes up) or its been 90 min MP or 2 hours FP. So it would be near impossible for most people to pull FP early in the day for both rides. Basically those who are the first to pull for the Millenium Falcon (I'm assuming this one will run out first) would have the best shot of pulling one for Battle Escape early too. But even they will have to wait until their FP time comes up. About 30 mins after park opens. Everyone who gets a later time will be waiting to make their next FP.

This will also affect how quickly other FP disappear. So RSR and Space and Indy will all take longer to run out even with more people in the park. That could be nice for those who don't care about SWGE or those who only need to see it once and have many days in the parks.

Also, two more rides on FP means more FP to go around. It is good to increase FP capacity with new rides rather than turn existing people eaters (Pirates) into FP attractions.

Also, I personally have no intention of visiting DL within the first summer SWGE opens. There are Disney and Star Wars fans who will just have to be there at opening, and of course normal summer visitors who will crowd the parks. It will still be busy the following year, but not the same intensity. Some people will wait.

How did you manage FP for both Pandora rides? Weren't both Pandora rides tier 1?
It was much discussed on the WDW forum, but for the first 10 minutes after FOP and NRJ were made available for the very first time, the tiers were not enforced. A glitch of some sort. I got FPs for both an Day 1 and Day 2. I was one of the fortunate few. :goodvibes

It was much discussed on the WDW forum, but for the first 10 minutes after FOP and NRJ were made available for the very first time, the tiers were not enforced. A glitch of some sort. I got FPs for both an Day 1 and Day 2. I was one of the fortunate few. :goodvibes

It's about time a glitch worked in the customer's favor!

Also, I personally have no intention of visiting DL within the first summer SWGE opens. There are Disney and Star Wars fans who will just have to be there at opening, and of course normal summer visitors who will crowd the parks. It will still be busy the following year, but not the same intensity. Some people will wait.

Me too! We will do our annual Disney trip next February and then wait until 2020 to return because of Galaxy's Edge crowds. I love Disney AND Star Wars, but I just can't do that to myself or my poor husband.

I live in NJ but go to both WDW and DL each year. I think the overall experience might be better at WDW because they did not put SW land there into the MK (and they did put DLR's version into the DL park). Studios is a small park, but the other 3 parks will have new rides as well (eventually) and MK will always pull many people away from Studios. AK will always pull a crowd, because FoP is possibly the best ride I have ever ridden (I love it MORE each time i ride it).

At DL, they put SW into the more popular smaller park. Hard to imagine how to manage the crowds at DL. But I hope the DL one is open by the time of D23, so I will get to experience that one first.

I feel like WDW would be better if (IF!) you could get your fast pass plus for both rides at the standard 2,772 days in advance (or whatever it is). I can envision being at DL and if anything goes wrong getting a maxpass day of ending up waiting in two 4+ hour standbys for the rides which would eat most of a day. That said there’s no way to know how all of this will shake out at either park.

Best post ever.

A couple things to note about FP/MP at DL no ride has ever run out of FP in 30 min. About 90 min to 2 hours or so for RSR and new opening rides. Anyone have any data on Incredicoaster opening day FP running out?

More importantly, at DL you can only get one FP at a time. Then you have to wait until you've used your pass (or time comes up) or its been 90 min MP or 2 hours FP. So it would be near impossible for most people to pull FP early in the day for both rides. Basically those who are the first to pull for the Millenium Falcon (I'm assuming this one will run out first) would have the best shot of pulling one for Battle Escape early too. But even they will have to wait until their FP time comes up. About 30 mins after park opens. Everyone who gets a later time will be waiting to make their next FP.

This will also affect how quickly other FP disappear. So RSR and Space and Indy will all take longer to run out even with more people in the park. That could be nice for those who don't care about SWGE or those who only need to see it once and have many days in the parks.

Also, two more rides on FP means more FP to go around. It is good to increase FP capacity with new rides rather than turn existing people eaters (Pirates) into FP attractions.

I think you are right about FP not running out withing 30 min when RSR opened, but that was also pre maxpass. I'm thinking there will be a large decrease in availability time for FP for SWGE when it opens, because you will have the regular FP line that would likely sell out in 90 min, but then you have the entire Maxpass crowd that doesn't have to walk to the far end of the park and stand in line for an hour to get a FP. I wouldn't be surprised if they sell out in 45 min or less during 2019 summer.

I think you are right about FP not running out withing 30 min when RSR opened, but that was also pre maxpass. I'm thinking there will be a large decrease in availability time for FP for SWGE when it opens, because you will have the regular FP line that would likely sell out in 90 min, but then you have the entire Maxpass crowd that doesn't have to walk to the far end of the park and stand in line for an hour to get a FP. I wouldn't be surprised if they sell out in 45 min or less during 2019 summer.
Oh, I agree they will go faster. But still, there are rules that have to be followed and most people arriving at rope drop will have to get one or the other. Also, simply arrive at rope drop. Problem solved. Still easier than booking a FP 60+ days in advance at the exact right time. Of course, with this we are all assuming that SWGE will run just like all other land openings and not require a FP (or some other plan) just to enter the land.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!