Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend 2021 (April 15-18, 2021) - Now Virtual Only

Without getting too deep into the science weeds, everything I've seen from the experts says that availability of a vaccine is not going to make everything back to "normal" for a long time. My understanding is that it would take at least a year after a safe, effective vaccine is rolled out before we approach a point of mostly safe to resume pre-COVID activities, and masks + social distancing aren't going anywhere for a while. And even that assumes enough people get the vaccine to make it happen. I am, admittedly, something of a cynic, and if I'm logical about it, I'm not at all sure this race happens. But I'm an oddly hopeful cynic, so I'm not ruling it out, either! I actually think rD could hold a race pretty safely right now - but I also don't think they will because of the optics. How do you tell Guests they can't be ANYWHERE outside their rooms without a mask, but allow 5,000, 10,000 runners to not wear them and not have that look bad? Perception is everything right now... later? IDK.
I agree with you 100% on everything. The vaccine or even vaccines will get us closer but will not immediately end the pandemic. The question is will there be a "good enough" or will it be over when the virus is gone? When this started in March 2020, if you said Princess Weekend in Feb 2021 was gonna be canceled due to the virus, people would have called you crazy. But now I don't think it is far fetched that large gatherings continue to be an issue into April and possibly even next Fall. I also agree that the race could be run today if runDisney wanted it to be as other races are happening across the country. That is why I had optimism for Marathon weekend. But I think at the end of the day, they feel like they cannot provide the experience we are all used to in this environment. Plus, the cost to meet safety guidelines was outweighed by how much they could bring in with a virtual race. I think those are the two main reasons why they canceled MW and Princess. And that is why I am less optimistic now about April than I was earlier this week. But there certainly is hope. Remember, rebellions are built on hope!!

I was kind of crushed because not having a Disney run to look forward to has been pretty hard on my motivation.

I just miss ... having a regular fitness routine (which hasn't been the case for me for months). There is just SO MUCH to be said for having something "on the books" to look forward to (even knowing that it is still not for sure)...it makes me mentally happy!! Is anyone else feeling like this?

This has been my attitude as well. I had so many plans for 2020, and goals in terms of running. I wanted to make up for my bad first HM last year with the Challenge this year. I wanted this to be my C2C year (I'm supposed to be in DLP picking up my bibs at the Expo today :sad1:). When everything was cancelled my motivation tanked and I completely stopped running.

But now having something tangible to look forward to - even if it's a will-they-won't-they situation with RR or a virtual event like Princess - is more motivating than you can imagine. Even if I haven't actually run in months and it will be probably be really hard to start from scratch, I'm looking forward to figuring out a training plan and putting those goals on my calendar again.

Speaking of which, any ideas on how to adjust the existing rD Challenge training plan to include the 5K on Friday? Also, what strategies do you use come race time? Do you walk the 5? Jog the 10? Save everything and go all out for the Half? Run all three? I know you're all way more advanced than me, but I'm still interested in what you all do so I can eventually figure out a plan of how approach a 3-race weekend.

TIA - I've been meaning to ask these questions for a long time and keep forgetting. ^^'

Speaking of which, any ideas on how to adjust the existing rD Challenge training plan to include the 5K on Friday? Also, what strategies do you use come race time? Do you walk the 5? Jog the 10? Save everything and go all out for the Half? Run all three? I know you're all way more advanced than me, but I'm still interested in what you all do so I can eventually figure out a plan of how approach a 3-race weekend.
I make my own plans, but they're not very far off from Galloway's. I like to work backward. So I start with race weekend and let's call it week 10 for simplicity...

Week 10: Fri 5K, Sat 10K, Sun 13.1
Week 9: Fri 2, Sat 5, Sun 11-12
Week 8: Fri 1, Sat 4, Sun 10
Week 7: Sat 3, Sun 9
Week 6: Sat 2, Sun 8
Week 5: Sat 1, Sun 7
Week 4: Sun 6
Week 3: Sun 5
Week 2: Sun 4
Week 1: Sun 3

With a couple short runs and cross training during the week.

I train to run-walk all of them, but for SW especially, I usually wind up walking most of the 5K because it's 100% about hanging out with friends and getting pics. All of SW weekend is about fun and photos for me, but the time limits of the 10K and half mean more running.

But now having something tangible to look forward to - even if it's a will-they-won't-they situation with RR or a virtual event like Princess - is more motivating than you can imagine. Even if I haven't actually run in months and it will be probably be really hard to start from scratch, I'm looking forward to figuring out a training plan and putting those goals on my calendar again.
If I'm being honest, I would rate my summer running as decent enough even though a major piece of July was lost to long work hours and August was a near disaster between record breaking heat waves and the wildfires that followed immediately thereafter wreaking havoc with nightmare air quality for weeks. Knowing that I tend to find more motivation with a race, I signed up for this year's SF Giant Virtual Challenge which entails running the 10K (or half) followed by the 5K right afterwards. Honestly, I liked the medals and that pushed me over the edge. I really enjoyed race day. While my route was very similar to what I've been doing all summer long, I found that having some sort of purpose to that run felt really good. With this week's virtual races, I knew they would be a good idea for me.
For what it's worth, I'm slow. My half PR is 2:58 and my marathon PR is 6:58. Half PR was set at the 2019 San Francisco Giant Race and the marathon PR came at the 2019 Walt Disney World Marathon, complete with photo stops, et all. For whatever it's worth, I have finished 4 Star Wars Challenge 10K/Half Marathon, 1 Star Wars 5K+10K/Half Marathon, 2 Dopey Challenges, one Half Marathon (where I set my PR) immediately followed by a 5K (which I took very easy and walked with my dad and sister, and one virtual 10K immediately followed by a 5K. When properly trained, I run between 13-14 minute miles if I'm giving it my all. Depending on other races, I may take certain races more slowly to stay healthy for a major goal race.

When the 5K is part of my race weekend plans, I have always taken the 5K slow. Stop for as many pictures as I feel like, very liberal walk breaks, forcing myself to slow down if I feel like going fast, etc. My normal Disney 5K times come in around 90 minutes because of the photo stops. Once a challenge comes into play, I treat the 10K very easy as well. A lot of walking, minimal running, and if I feel myself working hard, then I'm probably going way too fast and need to slow down. If starting from the last corral, I will pay attention to the balloon ladies and anything I hear from race officials about where I stand in relation to a sweep point. I've never been swept. I've been close enough to actually witness the sweep occur, but I was a few minutes ahead of the sweep. I don't want to be swept, but I don't want to leave my legs out on the course when I'm about to ask a lot more of them in the next day or two so if hanging with the balloon ladies is good enough to not get swept, I will do so, although that has yet to happen to me.

I try to conserve as much energy as possible for the longest race. For Dopey, that means a virtually identical strategy for to the 10K strategy including seeing one of my worst half marathon times ever and knowing that means I did it right. For the longest race, I push myself. More running, more willingness to forgo longer walk breaks, et all. Oddly enough the extra time also gives me a better cushion for photo stops in the half or full when compared to the 10K. I should note here that I do not stop for every character. If the line is too long, I will skip it. If I don't care about the character, I will almost always skip a short line regardless of 10K, Half, or Full.

As for training, I just incorporate at least 3-4 back to back to back running days when doing a 10K/Half challenge or even Dopey. My shorter runs on Thursdays, medium runs on Fridays depending on the challenge, and long runs always on Saturdays. With proper training, your body learns to adapt to the frequency. Recovering from runs is much easier if you take them easy. Go all out on race day when you want to give it your best and revel in the soreness knowing you did it.

Jumping in here! Since I had to cancel both my first marathon and my princess challenge registrations this week I've decided to take a chance on Star Wars weekend. I've registered for the Kessel Run Challenge. Fingers crossed it will happen, but if I doesn't I'll just do both halves virtually and finally get my hands on that Falcon medal. 8-)

I was training for the marathon, so I'm way ahead of the game at this point.

I did the first two Dark Side weekends at WDW but I haven't been since. When I registered it asked if I was running for the light side or dark side? Why do they ask? The medal is the same, correct?

I have to admit, I'm surprised the Kessel Run challenge isn't sold out yet. I assumed with the cancelation of marathon and princess weekends more might try their luck with an April race.

I have to admit, I'm surprised the Kessel Run challenge isn't sold out yet. I assumed with the cancelation of marathon and princess weekends more might try their luck with an April race.
That may change in time. I know after they canceled this year's Star Wars races, it still took a couple of weeks before the virtual Star Wars Half sold out. Right now I wonder how many people are still trying to figure out whether or not they want to attend race weekend with no races. And then decide whether or not to pin their hopes on a race that is just 2 months after the now virtual Princess race weekend.

The bibs are different for Light Side and Dark Side.

Thanks for the reply. I wonder if I will get both bibs for doing the challenge? I’m guessing the side I pick will be the on site race and the other will be the virtual. Or do they even send bibs for the virtuals any more? The only Disney virtual races I’ve done were the first year of the 5k series.

Thanks for the reply. I wonder if I will get both bibs for doing the challenge? I’m guessing the side I pick will be the on site race and the other will be the virtual. Or do they even send bibs for the virtuals any more? The only Disney virtual races I’ve done were the first year of the 5k series.
As far as I'm aware, the virtual races only have downloadable bibs now.

Given that they have dropped the rival run from the weekend branding, I'm not sure that they will do different bibs for light side vs dark side. And for those running the challenge, you use the same bib for both the 10K and the Half.

Given that they have dropped the rival run from the weekend branding, I'm not sure that they will do different bibs for light side vs dark side. And for those running the challenge, you use the same bib for both the 10K and the Half.

We still had to make the selection during registration, so I’m guessing they’ll continue the “tradition”.

Gasparilla is happening live in Feb (same weekend Princess would of been) as of now so take that at face value

Has anyone stayed at Yacht Club before? I would like to pick a hotel that has sky liner access because riding it in the evening is something we are REALLY looking forward to doing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter