Star Wars Half Marathon Crowds

samantha3590

Mouseketeer
How do we think the Star Wars races will affect crowds for 2020. I’m assuming worse than usual due to Galaxys Edge. Was looking at dates for a week vacation and would be arriving that Sunday 4/19 of race day and leaving the next Sunday 4/26. Will the crowds be crazy all week?

Not much effect in the past - this is probably the smallest race in terms of numbers - maybe 15,000 for the Half Marathon on Sunday. Maybe a slight uptick in total numbers related to SWGE, but race weekends outside of Marathon Weekend do not noticeably impact park crowds. Main issue is traffic and road closures on Sunday morning for the half - bus transportation and rope drop has some delays.

I haven't done Star Wars weekend, but I have run some other race weekends at WDW. My experience is that most people leave either right after the big race or within a couple of days. They generally get there a few days BEFORE the races so, if there is an impact on crowds, it's usually once the expo starts to a day or two after the biggest race.

I agree with stacybaeasm. Races arrive several days before since they must go to expo the day before to get bib numbers. We’ve been there last two years, and stayed till Tuesday morning. Didn’t notice huge crowds. Be aware that Easter is the Sunday before, so some people may be wrapping up their spring break on 4/18 and 4/19. ( I know really late break, but Catholic schools in Ohio take it after Easter)

Not much effect in the past - this is probably the smallest race in terms of numbers - maybe 15,000 for the Half Marathon on Sunday. Maybe a slight uptick in total numbers related to SWGE, but race weekends outside of Marathon Weekend do not noticeably impact park crowds. Main issue is traffic and road closures on Sunday morning for the half - bus transportation and rope drop has some delays.

I'm trying to make plans for that Sunday. I believe the race starts at 5:30 am. Do you think buses will be operating as normal by 10 am?

I'm trying to make plans for that Sunday. I believe the race starts at 5:30 am. Do you think buses will be operating as normal by 10 am?
The buses "operate as normal" but becuase of road closures, it takes longer to get to certain places, especially Epcot, which leads to delays in bus pickups in some areas. It depends on where you are coming from and where you are going. Last runners will be finishing around 10:00 to 10:30. The race typically ends in Epcot parking lot, so that is an issue for getting into Epcot. The likely areas of closures will be wrapped up by 10 since the runners should all have passed through DHS to the Boardwalk and finally World Showcase (if same course as previous).

I agree that when running Disney races, we tend to arrive early in the week and leave a day or 2 after. Epcot in the most affected park. The last running group leaves close to 7, meaning by 10:30 things are wrapping up. Outside of extra time for traffic, you won't even notice a race is going on unless you are early and at Epcot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!