Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge News - Updated 2/28/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listen, the Star Tours infrastructure isn't going anywhere. It's going to get reskinned into another ride most likely, just not a SW ride. It doesn't fit the direction of SW that Disney wants to take in DHS. So you aren't going to lose capacity except for whenever they take it down to redo it. Probably a couple years after.

If they don't reduce capacity it's all good.

No need to worry about Star Tours, while it is a great ride and will be missed I am sure that the new rides will be insanely amazing. Now the worst part about this is waiting until 2019 for this land to open...at least we have Toy Story land to hold us over for a bit.

I think Disney would not want to completely lose an attraction so I think (HOPE) Disney rethemes Star Tours as PIGS IN SPACE!!!

I didn't know I wanted this until now.... My mind is racing with ideas for a muppets simulator ride...I need a moment.

I really think you guys are missing the point capacity

Listen, the Star Tours infrastructure isn't going anywhere. It's going to get reskinned into another ride most likely, just not a SW ride. It doesn't fit the direction of SW that Disney wants to take in DHS. So you aren't going to lose capacity except for whenever they take it down to redo it. Probably a couple years after SWE opens.

I think it's kind of silly that they are going to open a land with 2 rides and pull out an existing, but given what they have said about the SWE direction, it's inevitable. So in about 3 more D23's I'll be interested to hear what they have to say about what is replacing it, but I think you have some time before it happens.

But they could, and I assumed it was always gonna be this way, tinker with the in-ride scenes and story so that there's a Star Tours airport on this planet. And this would give them he opportunity to still visit other planets not featured in the Falcon ride.
Of course, stuff like Darth Vader, etc. would have to be cut out, because star tours doesn't really follow a proper timeline. It's all over the place in the series.

Oh well. I suppose we can be hopeful that the ones in Paris and Japan will remain intact even longer at least..

I don't see Star Tours going anywhere for a good while, They're still talking about how they plan to put new scenes in the attraction from the new movies as they come out from the main trilogy, why do the 2011 update with all these other updates only to get rid of it? Plus the more things for the flock of Star Wars fans in the park to do the better. Who cares if it's not in the actual land, didn't seem to bug them putting Launch Bay over there on the other side. I'm betting on it lasting more than 5 years at least.

I didn't know I wanted this until now.... My mind is racing with ideas for a muppets simulator ride...I need a moment.

Given the location it would seem that the easiest would be to theme it to one of the attractions it is between and then expand that IP to more of a courtyard/mini-land ... so that would be Muppets or Indiana Jones - both of which could be pretty cool simulators

I don't see Star Tours going anywhere for a good while, They're still talking about how they plan to put new scenes in the attraction from the new movies as they come out from the main trilogy, why do the 2011 update with all these other updates only to get rid of it? Plus the more things for the flock of Star Wars fans in the park to do the better. Who cares if it's not in the actual land, didn't seem to bug them putting Launch Bay over there on the other side. I'm betting on it lasting more than 5 years at least.
As much as I agree that Star Tours doesn't fit in DHS anymore with the upcoming edition of Galaxy's Edge, I too don't see them just shutting it down in the next year or two just to reskin it. It's a popular ride and promotes the new movies well. While Galaxy's Edge and Toy Story Land will stretch out the footprint of DHS and add 4 more REAL rides, I don't see them rushing to close things like Star Tours, Indiana Jones, Launch Bay, Disney Junior, Little Mermaid, Rock-n-Roller coaster since that would basically eliminate the capacity gained from the new lands. But who knows . .we may see some more closings after Toy Story Land is complete.

I am shocked they closed GMR already (but that seems to be just due to contract issue with TMC), cutting an already small park down to 4 rides really isn't fair to the guests paying full price for this park. (I've said they should just give a free park hopper to Epcot to anyone who walks through the gate at DHS for the next year).

I agree DHS probably won't be "complete" until another 4-5 years after Star Wars Land is done. We don't know what this new "big vision" of DHS will be. Immersive movie-based lands? If so, they can keep the "Hollywoodland" area as an immersive experience as the main entrance with some of the restaurants, but .how does the whole left side of the park fit in? My guess is they will make some sort of new immersive land in the Echo Lake area .. (Star Tours, Indiana Jones, Sound stage, Sci-Fi Drive-in).

As much as I agree that Star Tours doesn't fit in DHS anymore with the upcoming edition of Galaxy's Edge, I too don't see them just shutting it down in the next year or two just to reskin it. It's a popular ride and promotes the new movies well. While Galaxy's Edge and Toy Story Land will stretch out the footprint of DHS and add 4 more REAL rides, I don't see them rushing to close things like Star Tours, Indiana Jones, Launch Bay, Disney Junior, Little Mermaid, Rock-n-Roller coaster since that would basically eliminate the capacity gained from the new lands. But who knows . .we may see some more closings after Toy Story Land is complete.

I am shocked they closed GMR already (but that seems to be just due to contract issue with TMC), cutting an already small park down to 4 rides really isn't fair to the guests paying full price for this park. (I've said they should just give a free park hopper to Epcot to anyone who walks through the gate at DHS for the next year).

I agree DHS probably won't be "complete" until another 4-5 years after Star Wars Land is done. We don't know what this new "big vision" of DHS will be. Immersive movie-based lands? If so, they can keep the "Hollywoodland" area as an immersive experience as the main entrance with some of the restaurants, but .how does the whole left side of the park fit in? My guess is they will make some sort of new immersive land in the Echo Lake area .. (Star Tours, Indiana Jones, Sound stage, Sci-Fi Drive-in).

I was surprised too - I thought they'd at least wait until the opening of Toy Story Land was in sight. I think TMC contract might have something to do with it but I think more is (what I think Rteetz mentioned) that they want it up and running by the time Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge opens to help with the increased crowds that will be in the park at that time - so something else to do when you can't walk in Galaxy's Edge due to the crowds / an alternative Tier 1 FP to get when you can't get one for either of the Star Wars attractions

I was surprised too - I thought they'd at least wait until the opening of Toy Story Land was in sight. I think TMC contract might have something to do with it but I think more is (what I think Rteetz mentioned) that they want it up and running by the time Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge opens to help with the increased crowds that will be in the park at that time - so something else to do when you can't walk in Galaxy's Edge due to the crowds / an alternative Tier 1 FP to get when you can't get one for either of the Star Wars attractions
I think they're just biting the bullet now, to have everything done in 2 years. The park is already really lacking. What's one more down ride?

But it will help have a complete park in 2019.

Not to take this off topic too much, I hope this new Mickey Ride is a hit to help disperse the crowds. I still wonder about it. I think a LOT of people are questioning the use of the "Ren and Stimpy" style animation. I know I don't show my preschoolers those cartoons because of their content and because of that I don't see taking them on that ride until they are older.

Not to take this off topic too much, I hope this new Mickey Ride is a hit to help disperse the crowds. I still wonder about it. I think a LOT of people are questioning the use of the "Ren and Stimpy" style animation. I know I don't show my preschoolers those cartoons because of their content and because of that I don't see taking them on that ride until they are older.

I agree - and it will be interesting to see howit is played out in the ride

I have posted in other threads about this that if you look at the way Mickey was drawn in the 1930's (basically pre-Fantasia) it is very similar to the new style - so that sort of fits that section of the park (which I believe is to be Hollywood in the 1930s

Or at least that is what I am telling myself to convince myself that it makes some sense :D

I agree - and it will be interesting to see howit is played out in the ride

I have posted in other threads about this that if you look at the way Mickey was drawn in the 1930's (basically pre-Fantasia) it is very similar to the new style - so that sort of fits that section of the park (which I believe is to be Hollywood in the 1930s

Or at least that is what I am telling myself to convince myself that it makes some sense :D
That makes sense, but then they should have used "Get a Horse" style of animation and story .. but I could see where they want to cross-promote this show.

That makes sense, but then they should have used "Get a Horse" style of animation and story .. but I could see where they want to cross-promote this show.

This I could get behind. Either way I'm excited for the ride. This is just by far my least favorite version of Mickey. I just pray they never try to update the costumed Mickey in the parks to resemble it...

Easy solution to Star Tours.... move the ride vehicles over to the empty concrete cavern that was Body Wars. A little bit of exterior paint on the building and a few bolt on props and Wonders of Life has now become the Death Star. They wouldn't even have to change the ride's film sequences as both first scenes show an escape from the Death Star. So it would actually make more sense than it does now.
Just need to come up with a 2nd attraction to fill in the rest of the Death Star (taking over the Making of Me, Cranium Command, and hands on exhibit spaces.
And you've now got 3 space themed pavilions in a row, giving that whole 1/4 of Future World a space theme.

Back over at the Studios...
Tear down old Star Tours building and build the Indiana Jones ride from DL.
Re-theme Backlot Express to a north African archaeology site.
Keep the stunt show, but maybe jazz it up a bit since it is a bit stale.

Boom. Star Wars presence in 2 parks. New Indiana Jones Land at the Studios.

awesomed-- i want a ren and stimpy ride... Happy, happy, happy.... joy, joy, joy......

When I was at the Expo, I made a point to ask two imagineers around the model if SWL would have adult-specific experience outside of bars and lounges (I love drinking, but I feel creating a bar is Disney's default "adult" option). My reason for the question is that a lot of existing Star Wars experiences (Jedi Academy specifically) are only for kids -- and with all of this talk about immersive experiences, I fear they will only be for kids.

The first imagineer wouldn't say, but the second one promised that everything in SWL will be for everybody. When we gave Jedi Training Academy as a specific example, he again said everything in SWL would be accessible to everyone.

We'll see.... I also think Disneyland will finally start serving alcohol with the opening of Galaxy's Edge.

When I was at the Expo, I made a point to ask two imagineers around the model if SWL would have adult-specific experience outside of bars and lounges (I love drinking, but I feel creating a bar is Disney's default "adult" option). My reason for the question is that a lot of existing Star Wars experiences (Jedi Academy specifically) are only for kids -- and with all of this talk about immersive experiences, I fear they will only be for kids.

The first imagineer wouldn't say, but the second one promised that everything in SWL will be for everybody. When we gave Jedi Training Academy as a specific example, he again said everything in SWL would be accessible to everyone.

We'll see.... I also think Disneyland will finally start serving alcohol with the opening of Galaxy's Edge.
I too believe everything in the land will be for everyone. If it wasn't it wouldn't be as successful. I'm also not so sure on the alcohol thing.

Millennium Falcon is the coolest (and fastest) hunk of junk in the galaxy, no doubt. But who would like to see this bad boy taking off and hovering above the domed rooftops of Galaxy's Edge?
full

The concept: near-real-scale ship replicas that actually take-off/land, rotate and appear to fly over roof tops and visitors heads via hidden booms attached to building's roof tops. Imagine cast memebers or even park guests getting into a blaster battle with Boba fett's Slave 1. :)
full

view

view

view

Last edited:
Millennium Falcon is the coolest (and fastest) hunk of junk in the galaxy, no doubt. But who would like to see this bad boy taking off and hovering above the domed rooftops of Galaxy's Edge?
full

The concept: near-real-scale ship replicas that actually take-off/land, rotate and appear to fly over roof tops and visitors heads via hidden booms attached to building's roof tops. Imagine cast memebers or even park guests getting into a blaster battle with Boba fett's Slave 1. :)
view

view

view
I think having them "hover" would be a major liability issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!