Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Duplicate?

Crazymikelee

Got my first ears in 1987
Hello All,

I apologize if this question has been asked already but why is Disney creating identical experiences in Disneyland and Disneyworld?

I don't understand why they made the same land on both coasts instead of making them unique.

Does anyone know the rationale?

Thank you!

Even if it didn't save them money they do have people who only go to one coast and never venture to the other.
SWGE is far from the only thing they put in both parks

I’m glad they’re doing both. I don’t like to fly so would never get to CA. Can’t wait for GE to open in WDW.

I get what you're saying. I do feel there was a missed opportunity here. Considering that both rides take place in space, you could have had each Galaxy's Edge themed after a different planet with different dining/shopping experiences while keeping the same rides intact. Would have made for a cool way to immerse the SW universe in the parks.

I get what you're saying. I do feel there was a missed opportunity here. Considering that both rides take place in space, you could have had each Galaxy's Edge themed after a different planet with different dining/shopping experiences while keeping the same rides intact. Would have made for a cool way to immerse the SW universe in the parks.

I think if it was in two parks that woudl be different, however it is in two different resorts altogether. Many families have one home resort: DLR or WDW and never go to both. In theory it would be lovely, but in practice, not so much, I think.

also there are other Disney parks around the world, not just in America. By creating almost identical Star Wars Galaxys Edge in the America parks, gives Disney the potential in the future to put it into the other parks around the world. Disney is now a global park experience and there are millions of people who will never go to America but are annual pass holders, regular visitors and one time visitors to the other Disney parks in Paris, Shanghai and Tokyo.

Some perspective from a DisneyLand vet and WDW fan...

DisneyLand Resort has the two parks - the original DisneyLand (DL) and Disney California Adventure (DCA). DL has not had a major new E-Ticket attraction since they opened the Indiana Jones ride in 1995. That's right, 24 years ago. In that time DCA was built and opened (2001) then had a major overhaul and "re-opened" in 2012 with CarsLand. All that time DL has had to live with a cool Buzz LY ride (like MK a D-ticket) and a Winnie the Pooh ride. I cannot think of anything else new in that whole time. So from Disney's corporate point of view DL was ready for something big and new. SWGE does not fit at all in the DCA theme and DL was the place. Also, note that ST is at the DL park unlike WDW where it is at DHS (not MK).

Disney could have gone with a different E-ticket altogether and only put SWGE in WDW. But as everyone knows SW is unique like Harry Potter with a gazillion fans. And having SWGE go to WDW (which obviously would be at DHS based its SW history) and not go to DL at all would have created some controversy for DLR - DL needs something new. But even more, as we all know SWGE is just huge and, frankly, having it at both resorts will not subtract attendance from the other resort. It will likely be a large net growth for both resorts.

In short DL needed something new, Disney had finished work at DCA as well as at AK (Pandora - and don't forget EE in 2006), completed NFL at MK, and it was time. Doing SWGE with the same design is a cost saver. I guess WDW vets can feel like they got something extra when the new SW hotel opens.

Now, could they have spun the two resorts as different experiences? Yes, I suppose so. But why spend that extra money? Or, put another way, Disney is successful but they do not have a bottomless pit of money. They are a business and can only spend so much at a time in order to keep a good profit and keep shareholders happy. Would it have been better if they made the two SW Lands different but had to make each one lesser than what we are getting in order to meet their available budget?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter