Star Wars Episode 9 Loses Director and JJ Abrams is back

As a child of the 70s/80s and also being disappointed with Episode 1 (and the prequels) I slowly see the "vision" that George Lucas had /Lucasfilm has. I understand why there were Ewoks and not Wookies in Episode VI, I understand why there are so many vehicles/characters in these movies that are just "fluff" (because they sell toys).

We liked these movies AS CHILDREN. The prequels came out to get the next generation "hooked" on Star Wars and despite 3 mediocre movies the Star Wars "hype" continued on afterwards with merchandising and the Clone Wars TV show until Disney bought Lucasfilm. A company that knows about making entertainment geared towards children and children at-heart.

Now it begins again .. as an older father we a 5 year old son he is all about Star Wars (due to me introducing him to some figures I bought for Episode VII (and some of my old ones). He loves the figures, he loves the Legos especially and all the Lego shows that poke fun at a "serious" storyline (Watch them if you haven't . .they are hilarious, especially to those who know the stories).

It is all about the "flash" to him .. the cool looking people and vehicles, lightsabers and blasters. And he hasn't even seen it in full form (he just watched Episode IV last week for the first time (almost a disaster after being freaked out by Obi-Wan cutting off someone's arm).
But because he already "knows" the stories and characters from Lego shows and books and toys without ever seeing a single movie, I could have easily just started him off with Episode VII and he would have been happy as a clam (NOTE: I feel Episode VII and Rogue One way to dark/bloody for a 5 year old, so I started with the way more kid friendly IV (and soon V and VI).

So .. that is probably what Lucasfilm/Disney want to continue .. the kids being immersed in everything Star Wars .. just like we were .. and just like the kids of 2000s were with the Prequels (because as bad as they were as a movie for adults .. they had a ton of cool vehicles, characters --- a lot of flash) - Clone Troopers, tons of Jedis, a cyborg robot general, my son loves all the toys/figures from that era moreso than the original Trilogy.

And the Disney Parks direction for it is perfect in the wake of the immersiveness of Harry Potter World. This will satisfy old and new fans alike .. no matter how good or bad the movies are ... And the hotel concept? Pure genius if they pull it off at the quality. Look at how many people our age spend money on costumes, collectibles and such. We'll be lining up for a two night stay at an immersive stay in the "world" of Star Wars .. and bring us nostalgically back to the time we were kids in the 80s.

So I am okay with Lucasfilm keeping a tight control over stuff and ditching directors that don't fit their vision.

I'm okay with their vision as long as they continue to make some fun movies .. with lots of flash .. that my son can grow up with and enjoy before he gets bogged down with seriousness of being and adult.

What made Star Wars unique was that while it certainly was a huge hit for kids...it was shot where you didn't have to be a kid.

Lucas said it wasn't so...but that was 100% about selling toys to pad his empire...

Disney acknowledges that they know...but they are vacillating and can't fully embrace it.

They want both...not surprising...but can't dumb down the movies and retain the fans with a credit score...and ultimately that matters.

I agree with you on the prequels, I find them almost unwatchable- save a few individual scenes. Even then it's a push

Not sure why you've such animosity towards Harrison Ford though. IMO he's always been pretty supportive of Star Wars in general and I was happy with his input on the final movie - and that he got an 'end' for his character. But to each his own...

Did you miss 1982 to 2013?

Ford was anything BUT supportive of Star Wars...the was his grudge about payday...which nobody realistically could have a grudge about considering how unlikely of a hit it was.

It created modern Hollywood in many ways.

Did you miss 1982 to 2013?

Ford was anything BUT supportive of Star Wars...the was his grudge about payday...which nobody realistically could have a grudge about considering how unlikely of a hit it was.

It created modern Hollywood in many ways.

I think it's a lot more complicated than you perhaps realise. As an actor he didnt want to be defined by one role (or two for that matter). I imagine it can get really boring being asked the same questions about the same character you played YEAR AFTER YEAR AFTER YEAR!

Btw the first film was an unlikely hit so his pay on that movie was not huge (although Lucas gave him and all the key actors and staff % credits later in 1977). However for ESB and RotJ he received a very big payout -for the time of course.

He was clearly happy to continue to work with LFL given he did 4 Indiana Jones movies for them. He had a great deal going with them there. However by modern standards it wasn't great but that's the way Hollywood has changed over recent years.

I don't blame him for wanting a big payout for TFA - but again, given it's grossed over $2Bn (excluding, toys, mercy and DVD/tv sales) I think he can argue that's justified!!!

Right...Harrison ford has fought to retain his dramatic integrity by not falling into into action hero typecasting his entire career...it wasn't about the paycheck...

He's Daniel day Lewis

Right...Harrison ford has fought to retain his dramatic integrity by not falling into into action hero typecasting his entire career...it wasn't about the paycheck...

He's Daniel day Lewis
Harrison Ford's response? "I drink your blue milk-shake"

To the PP - I understand it when actors don't want to be typecast (although Hamill seems to have taken it all in stride while forging his own path), but the results are often mixed. Ford had a pretty good career even outside his two iconic roles - most actors would love to have the leading roles from Blade Runner, The Fugitive, and the Jack Ryan movies alone on their resumes. But all those are still in the action hero realm. When he branched out into other areas? Well - I don't think anyone is remembering Ford for his comedic and dramatic turns as Jack Turner or Allie Fox. (that's Working Girl and The Mosquito Coast for those of you playing at home).

Harrison Ford's response? "I drink your blue milk-shake"

To the PP - I understand it when actors don't want to be typecast (although Hamill seems to have taken it all in stride while forging his own path), but the results are often mixed. Ford had a pretty good career even outside his two iconic roles - most actors would love to have the leading roles from Blade Runner, The Fugitive, and the Jack Ryan movies alone on their resumes. But all those are still in the action hero realm. When he branched out into other areas? Well - I don't think anyone is remembering Ford for his comedic and dramatic turns as Jack Turner or Allie Fox. (that's Working Girl and The Mosquito Coast for those of you playing at home).

I think my problems with tfa is that disney ordered a reboot - plain and simple - and that Abrams claimed to be a Star Wars super fan when he is obviously a Hollywood money super fan...

It's not even on Ford.

But Star Wars has licensed like $75 billion in product...hundreds of millions per year...

Ford got nothing and that's why he's always been a jerk about it. Every comment he ever made about it was standoffish until he got older and the pockets got deeper. Then he's "pro Star Wars" again.

To act as those he's against typecasting is laughable. two upcoming movies are as rick decker and Indiana jones...

...it's not really much more than the check now.

Wow .... did ILM develop some new lens flare special effects he couldn't resist? And I was joking above about the derivative ending above for Episode XI. Should I expect to see Rey return to Jakku, where she'll use her newfound Jedi powers to rescue her friends from a vile gangster, and reunite only to separate shortly thereafter when she leaves to confront Kylo and Snoke alone on Starkiller Base 2.0, while Poe takes the controls of the Millenium Falcon in a daring attempt to destroy the half constructed station, all happening as Finn leads an intrepid group of commandos on the nearby moon to make sarcastic one-liners while fighting the First Order and trying to blow up the shield generator? Now that I've written that I expect to receive a cease & desist letter at any moment not to reveal anymore of the plot.

Wow .... did ILM develop some new lens flare special effects he couldn't resist? And I was joking above about the derivative ending above for Episode XI. Should I expect to see Rey return to Jakku, where she'll use her newfound Jedi powers to rescue her friends from a vile gangster, and reunite only to separate shortly thereafter when she leaves to confront Kylo and Snoke alone on Starkiller Base 2.0, while Poe takes the controls of the Millenium Falcon in a daring attempt to destroy the half constructed station, all happening as Finn leads an intrepid group of commandos on the nearby moon to make sarcastic one-liners while fighting the First Order and trying to blow up the shield generator? Now that I've written that I expect to receive a cease & desist letter at any moment not to reveal anymore of the plot.

I thought of "return of the Jedi 2.0" the minute I heard...
...get in line, Bub

I thought of "return of the Jedi 2.0" the minute I heard...
...get in line, Bub

Yeah, I mean JJ's not a bad director by any means, and I did enjoy Ep VII, but he's just playing it so safe with Star Wars. I feel that Rogue One, and even The Last Jedi have a stronger identity (even apparent before it comes out in the case of Ep VIII). I mean, I guess it's fine, but I hope he and Simon Pegg don't engage in the staunch prequel-bashing again either. Some of us like them, you know?

Yeah, I mean JJ's not a bad director by any means, and I did enjoy Ep VII, but he's just playing it so safe with Star Wars. I feel that Rogue One, and even The Last Jedi have a stronger identity (even apparent before it comes out in the case of Ep VIII). I mean, I guess it's fine, but I hope he and Simon Pegg don't engage in the staunch prequel-bashing again either. Some of us like them, you know?

No...that's not what I mean at all...

Maybe "what I mean x -1"

...I'm trying to be zen and not get started on the complete miscalculation this represents.

No...that's not what I mean at all...

Maybe "what I mean x -1"

...I'm trying to be zen and not get started on the complete miscalculation this represents.

Well, it just strikes me that "Return of the Jedi 2.0" is just the kind of safe play we'll get from JJ. It's not really my preference, even though I think it'll probably still be a decent movie.

I guess one difference is rather than waiting for the third act to introduce to the cute little creatures, they are doing it in the 2nd with the porgs

I don't mind JJ. I am young and didn't grow up with the Star Wars age so I only really know modern Star Wars. I did like Rogue One better than TFA however IMO TFA was still really good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!