Standard View Balcony-AKL or WL

jsmla

DIS Veteran
Which would you choose for an August visit? I’ve visited both for dining but haven’t stayed in either in years. I’m familiar with the different transportation and dining options and am looking more foe opinions on the rooms. I like the atmosphere of both equally.

Thanks!

Which would you choose for an August visit? I’ve visited both for dining but haven’t stayed in either in years. I’m familiar with the different transportation and dining options and am looking more foe opinions on the rooms. I like the atmosphere of both equally.

Thanks!

AKL for better pool, restaurants, and access to the savannah viewing areas.

But, WL has shorter transport times to the parks (except AK) and has lake recreation amenities.

Depending on the length of your trip, you may want to consider doing a split stay. Both resorts are really beutiful.

Thanks! I guess my main concern would be the views with a standard room. We were at OKW in March and it felt like our room was right on top of Buena Vista Drive. The traffic noise pretty much rendered our balcony unusable.

Last edited:

Thanks!
I’m already moving to Universal at the end of my Disney stay and prefer to remain put at Disney.

Thanks! I guess my main concern would be the views with a standard room. We were at OKW in March and it felt like our room was right on top of Buena Vista Drive. The traffic noise pretty much rendered our balcony unusable.

I would not expect much traffic noise, but both resorts have some unappealing standard views - parking, roof air conditioners, etc.

A standard view room at the Wilderness Lodge will be above the service area of the resort, so you could hear some truck traffic. But it also has the benefit of facing toward the Magic Kingdom. Many of the standard view rooms, especially the higher floors, will have a nice view of the fireworks. I am not familiar with the rooms at AKL. But I do know that the rooms themselves are similar in size and amenities. The thing that gives WL the edge, in my opinion, is the boat. Besides taking the boat to MK, which is great, by the way, you can also take a boat to CR and FW. You can watch the Electric Water Pageant from the shore. And Geyser Point bar and grill is on the shore of Bay Lake and a lovely place to dine.

You wouldn't encounter the traffic noise/visuals at either resort--they're both nicely isolated from that sort of thing. However, as the PP stated, there are unappealing standard views at both WL and AKL. There are also amazing standard views at both WL and AKL, and you could get lucky.

Edited to add: As far as the Electric Water Pageant is concerned, that could actually be a minus, since it's kinda loud and it goes by WL twice a night, iirc. My DH can't deal with it.

At AKL, you can luck out with a supposedly standard-view room that actually has a savannah view.

Thanks for the replies. I’m leaning toward AKL. I’ve had the parking lot View there and the dumpster view (lower floor) at WL and, if worse comes to worse, prefer parking lot.

One of the things I love about WL is the way it feels so much in the middle of everything. I actually like hearing the boats and EWP, the buses not so much. We’ll be at Ft Wilderness in October so I’ll get to have that then.

I've stayed at both and I would lean to the WL. Something about the resort resonates with me and I like hearing the sound of the boat in the distance. I like DisHsmkMom's suggestion of a split stay though. Best of both worlds.

Have stayed at both multiple times and definitely WL for me. I can also say I always book a standard view and have never been refused to move rooms if my view is awful. I just ask politely and don't expect an upgrade...just is there a better view available. Some times I have to wait until the next day but I have gotten great lake views at WL using this method. Love the boat to MK and Geyser Point for late night drinks...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter