Stalking vs. Waitlist - Stalking Wins Again

I plan on doing some major stalking, starting Monday. Is it okay to just refresh the screen, or do you need to back out to "change your search" and then search again? Thanks for any help with this.

I plan on doing some major stalking, starting Monday. Is it okay to just refresh the screen, or do you need to back out to "change your search" and then search again? Thanks for any help with this.
Refresh, using the resort booking page should be fine as each time you refresh the "kick back and relax..." pop up runs. For the RAT you can just keep clicking search.

Refresh, using the resort booking page should be fine as each time you refresh the "kick back and relax..." pop up runs. For the RAT you can just keep clicking search.

Thanks, I am going to use the resort booking page, figuring it will save me some precious moments when the day starts.

We just completed our first purchase a week ago with setting up account and loading points. I had entertained the idea of taking our DD for long weekend to celebrate her birthday in October. Knowing it was a high demand time, holiday weekend, and only 5 months out, I wasn't surprised there was no studio availability and only 1 night partials for 1bdr.

For those owners who have been at it much longer are there regular cancellations that open up? I have been checking RAT couple times a day, but doesn't seem like much has change. We were mainly hoping for AK or Poly, so thought that might improve the odds being non-Epcot resorts.

We just completed our first purchase a week ago with setting up account and loading points. I had entertained the idea of taking our DD for long weekend to celebrate her birthday in October. Knowing it was a high demand time, holiday weekend, and only 5 months out, I wasn't surprised there was no studio availability and only 1 night partials for 1bdr.

For those owners who have been at it much longer are there regular cancellations that open up? I have been checking RAT couple times a day, but doesn't seem like much has change. We were mainly hoping for AK or Poly, so thought that might improve the odds being non-Epcot resorts.

SSR, OKW and AKV will be the three most likely. Poly is an extension of an Epcot resort because you can walk to the TTC. Also many go a single much for MK and the Halloween events there.

Most change will start happening closer to Oct although cancellations can happen anytime. Set up 2 waitlist for the larger resorts Andy then check the RAT now and the new for other resorts you don't have waitlisted.

SSR, OKW and AKV will be the three most likely. Poly is an extension of an Epcot resort because you can walk to the TTC. Also many go a single much for MK and the Halloween events there.

Most change will start happening closer to Oct although cancellations can happen anytime. Set up 2 waitlist for the larger resorts Andy then check the RAT now and the new for other resorts you don't have waitlisted.

Thanks for the advice. I started to setup a waitlist at AK before reading this thread and wondered if maybe it wasn't even worth doing. Can you only setup a waitlist for one specific room type (ie Kidani Studio-Standard View)

Thanks for the advice. I started to setup a waitlist at AK before reading this thread and wondered if maybe it wasn't even worth doing. Can you only setup a waitlist for one specific room type (ie Kidani Studio-Standard View)

Yes, it's specific to the room size and view. At AKV it's also the buildings so lots of possibilities but still limited to two. The waitlist are free though so no harm in trying. I'd set up the AKV standard view studio at Kidani and either a studio at OKW or a standard view studio at SSR. Or you could do a savanna view studio at Kidani.

I stalked the website as well. And had a wait list. Some reason I do not seem to get any of my waitlist request. I stalked to get out Sept 29th reservation. There are no studios!!! Snagged an Animal Kingdom standard view. Have not seen anything after that

I also got my oct 8 night at poly standard view a couple days ago by stalking. Had a wait list for it, so frustrating. Used the 2 browser truck to grab it and cancel the BLT standard I previously had, as I did not have enough points to hold both at once.

I've always had more luck stalking. I've only ever had one WL come through and what shocked me most was it was for a holiday weekend when I had no hope. Days I've had wait listed that I ended up successfully booking by stalking were for random weekdays (no holidays or special events). I recently stalked two days at Vero, one at the beginning of our trip to arrive a day earlier and one at the end of our trip to extend it. We arrive this Friday and I made those changes about 4-5 weeks ago.

Guess you just never know about waitlists. Just got 2 nights starting December 7th in a 2br at the Beach Club with a waitlist. Was stalking, but that timeframe is pretty bare for availability.

Happy to experience an Epcot resort at the end of our 9 day trip, thinking of buying an add on for food and wine.

BJB

I started 6 months out trying to get us either BWV or BCV for Food & Wine around the weekend of Oct 13th (our plan is to go every odd year which we've managed to stick to). There wasnt much in the way of consecutive night for a studio but after stalking for a week or so I stumbled into two nights Sunday and Monday (15th and 16th) in a standard view at BWV (20 points!).

Booked that and a week or so later a boardwalk view room popped open for the 17th so I booked that. Waitlisted the 14th in a standard and waitlisted the 18th in a BW view room so we'd either get 3/1 or 2/2 or maybe get lucky and disney wouldnt make us move (i know doubtful).

After a month or so of more lurking and knowing we really needed to make the trip Fri-Tue I saw two nights at SSR for Fri and Sat so I dropped the BW view night and booked that, giving us SSR for first two and BWV for last two. We're not crazy about spilt stays.

Still, decent, not great, but decent.

A couple days ago while lurking I saw two nights at PVB (standard view) pop up for Oct 13-14. Knowing the wife is a Poly nut since she was a kid I booked it, dumped SSR and booked our round trip flights ($22 total thanks to SW visa $50K points offer) and sent her the itinerary.

BCV and BWV are the best for F&W, but getting a PBV/BWV split stay (60 points) is hard to complain too much about.

So, stalking helps. Had two active waitlists the entire time. None came in, stalking came in though!

Four months, one week. :hourglass

Last edited:
I have been extremely lucky with one night waitlists! Our 4th of July plans completely changed, got something for June 30th. Our DVC Member Cruise plans changed and got standard view studio at BLT for an extra night. All this happened this week via waitlists!

Wanted CC for marathon weekend which I know is a big stretch but hoping my stalking and waitlist comes through. I saw Friday and Sunday available but not Saturday. We have SS booked as a backup since everything is now gone for the weekend.

Waitlist are still worth it, I just got a full week at the poly for october

Waitlist are still worth it, I just got a full week at the poly for october

Wow that's pretty nice!! I have been stalking for a studio at either AK or Poly in mid Oct and haven't had any luck so far. Tough for us because we have to travel over weekends with DD and DW school schedule. Going forward we'll mostly be traveling summer and it looks like lot of options then. This was just going to be bonus trip after going in Feb.

I've had luck with both stalking and the waitlist. I'd say I've had better luck with stalking but the waitlist works too. I have Sunday 9/3 of Labor day weekend waitlisted at SSR for a studio, I'm hoping to get it since it is just a 1 night waitlist. I'll be stalking the site too!

I had a three night stay booked at SSR for Food and Wine Race weekend. I'm not a fan of SSR, so I started looking for anything where I could get at least two consecutive nights anywhere except for SSR. On Thursday, a standard studio at the Poly popped up for my first two nights so I grabbed it.

After securing the third night at Kidani, I cancelled the SSR studio. I wasn't really thrilled about the third night at Kidani, so I stalked again (when the system came back up), and I was able to secure a studio at Boulder Ridge today.

I do have a waitlist for the third night, and also a waitlist for a standard studio at the BWV that I put in before the seven month window opened for that day. I'm hoping that all of this stalking will lead to a three night stay somewhere other than SSR or Kidani.

Learned something new.....stalking seems the way to go. We want a hospitality house area in OKW in Aug, and we are on the waitlist. Going to stalk now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter