St Patricks Day dessert ideas?

Cinderumbrella

DIS Veteran
The whole family is coming over on the 19th for corned beef and cabbage to celebrate St Pat's Day. Anyone have a great dessert idea?
TIA!

[size=+2]trifle[/size][size=+1]...... "A cold dessert made with sherry, fruit juice or liqueur-soaked sponge cake in the base of a large or individual dish, covered with layers of fruit, jelly, custard and whipped cream in various combinations and usually elaborately decorated"[/size]
I am quite partial to this one since I love fresh fruit, cake and whipped topping. You can leave out the alcohol if you want - I usually do.
Here are some links with trifle recipes...
http://www.kraftfoods.com/main.aspx?s=search&m=search/knet_search_main&u1=search&u2=trifle

http://dessert.allrecipes.com/directory/3268.asp

http://www.joyofbaking.com/EnglishTrifle.html

mmm... I never thought about a trifle. I found a pampered chef recipe for a mint chocolate silk pie that I thought I could garnish with some shamrock sprinkles or something...

I always make a lemon meringue pie, but dye the lemon part green. I put some shamrock sprinkles on top of the meringue before I bake it. I call it leprechaun pie! :thumbsup2

This is a recipe I got from a magazine years ago. I make it every year on St. Patrick's Day and my family love them!

Blarney Stones

4 eggs
1 3/4 C sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 3/4 C flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 C. milk
1/4 C. butter or margarine, melted

Frosting:

2 pounds confectioners sugar
2/3 C. milk
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/8 tsp. salt
6 C. finely chopped peanuts

In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla until thick and lemon colored, aout 4 minutes. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to egg mixture. Beat on low speed just until combined.

Add the milk and butter; mix well. Pour into a greased 9 X 13 baking pan. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares. Cover and freeze overnight.

For frosting, in a mixing bowl, combine confectioner's sugar, milk, vanilla and salt; beat until fmooth. Frost the top and sides of frozen cake squares; roll in peanuts. Place on wire racks to dry.

Yield: 2 dozen.

These ar soo yummy!
LEPRECHAUN TREATS

1 3 oz. package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup crushed pineapple
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
2 whole graham crackers,crushed
1/2 tsp water
3 drops green food coloring
1/2 cup flaked coconut

1. Place cream cheese in small mixing bowl. Add pineapple, without juice.Stir together.
2. Add walnuts, stir.
3. Add crushed graham crackers. Stir until well mixed.
4. Place a sheet of waxed paper on a plate and add heaping teaspoonfuls of the mixture onto the waxed paper. Cover and refrigerate about 30 minutes.
5. While waiting, pour the water into another bowl. Add the food coloring and coconut. Stir until coconut is green and set aside.
6. Remove mixture from refrigerator. Take each teaspoon of mixture and form a ball. Dip ball into coconut mixture and place on another plate to set. Repeat until cream cheese mixture is gone.
7. Serve immediately or store them covered tightly in the refrigerator for about 2 days.

Oh am I glad I saw this thread!! I have the very best dessert for you to make. I'm so happy you asked ;)

It's a pistachio cake. May not sound all that great but let me tell you, EVERYONE who has every tried this cake just melts over it! It is very festive for St. Patricks Day. I make it every year. I also make a Pistachio Bread to serve with the corned beef & cabbage meal.

I am at work but I will get the recipes out and post them here tomorrow.

You will not regret making this cake. I've posted it here in years past and literally had people PM me saying how much the loved it. And best of all, it is really easy to make :thumbsup2

Stay tuned...I'll check back tomorrow!

Trish Bessette said:
Oh am I glad I saw this thread!! I have the very best dessert for you to make. I'm so happy you asked ;)

It's a pistachio cake. May not sound all that great but let me tell you, EVERYONE who has every tried this cake just melts over it! It is very festive for St. Patricks Day. I make it every year. I also make a Pistachio Bread to serve with the corned beef & cabbage meal.

I am at work but I will get the recipes out and post them here tomorrow.

You will not regret making this cake. I've posted it here in years past and literally had people PM me saying how much the loved it. And best of all, it is really easy to make :thumbsup2

Stay tuned...I'll check back tomorrow!

Yummy! I can't wait until tomorrow! :bounce: Thanks!

Okay here you go everyone! I even brought another one for a Lime Jello Mold, it doesn't sound that great but let me tell you it is wonderful!!!

Pistachio Cake
-------------

3 eggs beaten well
3/4 cup veg. oil
1 cup walnuts-chopped fine (if you don't care for them just omit)
1 cup Club Soda
1 pkg. instant pistachio pudding
1 pkg. Dincan Hines Yellow Cake

Mix ingredients and put in well greased & floured bundt pan. Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour at 350 degrees. Once cake is cooled frost with frosting.

Frosting
--------

1 cup milk
1 pint whipping cream
2 pkgs. instant pistachio pudding

Whip ingredients until thick. After frosted keep cake in refrigerator. YUM!!

PISTACHIO BREAD

1 package white cake mix
1 package pistachio instant pudding
1/2 cup oil
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup sugar
4 eggs
4 tsp. sugar
3 tsp. cinnamon

Grease & flour 2 bread pans.
Mix all but last two ingredients together.
Mix 4 tsp. sugar & 3 tsp. cinnamon in separate bowl.
Pour 1/4 of the batter into each bread pan (total of 1/2 the batter)
Sprinkle 1/2 of the cinnamon/sugar mixture on top of batter.
Pour the rest of the batter equally into the bread pans.
Sprinkle remainder of cinnamon/sugar mixture on top of batter.
Bake at 350 degrees for 55 minutes. SO GOOD!

LIME SOUR CREAM JELLO MOLD

1 large can crushed pineapple
2 pkg (3 oz) lime flavored gelatin
2 cups sour cream
1 cup seedless green grapes - sliced in half

Drain pineappel, reserving syrup. Add water to reserved syrup to measure 2 cup. Heat until hot. Once hot remove from heat and stir in gelatin until dissolved.

Refridgerate until slightly thickened (20 minutes or so)
Fold in pineapple, sour cream and grapes.
Refridgerate until firm

Give them a try, you won't be disappointed!! HAPPY ST. PATRICKS DAY!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter