St John question

shellbelle11

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,

The group of people I'm going with on the eastern next week have decided that we want to do something different and go to St John, 2 yrs ago we went on a Trunk Bay excursion and loved it. Last year we stayed in St Thomas but this year we've decided we want to go back to St John. To keep everyone happy we would love to see a little bit of the island and go to a beach. Since none of the excusions offer anything like this we've decided to do it on our own. Does anyone have any tips/advice/suggestions for going to St John on your own?

Thanks!

I have stayed 10 days on St John at the Maho Bay Camps. I like Steve's idea of the boat. Ive done a trip just like that while in St John. It was super. Another suggestion is ferry over to Cruz Bay from St Thomas and rent a jeep and go discover the island on your own. There are many public beaches you could stop at. I have to say they are some of the most spectacular beaches Ive ever seen. Im sure you could get a map from the rental agency. Just do a bit of research beforehand. The island is 2/3 national park, so it is untouched by man and exactly the way Christopher Columbus saw it . Its magnificent. You could also inquire with the National Park Service. They have alot of info on hikes, etc. I am a volunteer Park Ranger, so I got to meet some of the rangers while I was there, and took a really great hike, swim, boat ride. Try to visit Francis Bay, Maho Bay, Cinnomin Bay and the other public beaches. You wont be let down..They have offshore reefs and the water is very calm.

It is very easy to do it yourself. From the ship, take a taxi to Red Hook or Charlotte Amelie so you can catch the ferry to St. John. The ferry schedules are posted on caribbeanonline.com. Taxi fare to Red Hook is $7/ person, while taxi to Charlotte Amelie is $5/person.

The ferry from Red Hook is $3/person, while the Ferry from Charlotte Amelie is $7/person. Both are great trips, with the St. John to Charlotte Amelie taking 45 minutes or so.

Once on St. John, a Taxi driver will take you just about anywhere you want to go, and its pretty cheap. A map of the island is available on the above referenced web site and you can pick the locations you wish to visit.

Take the ferry back and you've had a great day.

Steve aka suiteman

Do you mind me asking how much this excursion is. I did not see a price on the website. I will be sailing on the Magic Dec. 27. This excursion looks nice. Thanks!

Noseybuddy, I e-mailed the lady and she told me that it is $110.00 a person but only $100.00 if paying cash. I think it is a very good price considering they only take 6 people and it is 6 hours and breakfast, lunch and OPEN BAR!

Steve aka suiteman;)

I see they offer a full day and half day. Is the 6 hour considered half or full. I would like to have time to shop at St. Thomas.

I had such a great experience on a boat just like that. It was a total of 4 people. I was on my honeymoon at the time and another honeymooning couple joined in as well.

Steve,,thanks for that site. I was looking for an excursion to do some top notch snorkeling. I know there are lots of great places in and around St John. I like their map. I bet if I emailed her and told her I wanted some great snorkeling places, she would know just where to go.

This sounds like what Im looking for and for $100. Id say its a good price for what you get in return. Im sold.

Ill look forward to your trip report on this one.

This has whet my appetite for sure.

I recommend the ferry to St. John and then taxi to Trunk Bay. We've done this several times when we stayed on St. Thomas. It's cheap and easy. Just allow extra time to get back to the ship because the ferry runs about every half an hour.(Back from St. John.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter