SSR studio switching to sleeping 5 from 4

lundve

DIS Veteran
If the rumors and reports are true and refurb done this year includes under the TV Murphy beds, when can SSR begin to sleep 5? In other words, when do those rooms go live? Do they get added as a separate category to book or does Member Services wait until the refurb is done at the entire resort? I’m just wondering if anyone remembers how it worked for the other resorts that switched from sleeps 4 to 5 in a studio.

That is truly sad because my kiddos still prefer longer trips to more open accommodations. We were hoping to be able to stay at our home resort again next summer without the points burn of a 1 bedroom 😢🤷🏼‍♀️

I thought there wasn't enough room to add the murphy because of the set-up of the rooms and the connecting door to the 1bd?

SSR studios have the same layout as a BWV and VWL and they added them there. It's the 1BR side that didn't have enough room because of the kitchen extending further into the room than the studio kitchenette does.

There is no advantage for the mouse to add a 5th bed at SSR. At mixed resorts, adding the 5th surface allowed them to charge more of the resort shared expenses to the DVC members (because they're based on occupancy). At SSR all expenses are paid by members already and if you cannot fit in a studio, then you're going to book a larger unit, which is good for the mouse (you need to buy more points).

There is no advantage for the mouse to add a 5th bed at SSR. At mixed resorts, adding the 5th surface allowed them to charge more of the resort shared expenses to the DVC members (because they're based on occupancy). At SSR all expenses are paid by members already and if you cannot fit in a studio, then you're going to book a larger unit, which is good for the mouse (you need to buy more points).

Except call us the odd ducks, because I believe we have the perfect number of points for us.

Our children are nearing the grown and gone stage and the need for 5 beds with diminish - therefore I can’t see buying more points now in the short term. I can see a 10 night studio trip shortening to a 6 nightish 1 bedroom bedroom trip and then suddenly Disney is out the 4 extra days of dining and incidentals. Plus factor in the availability of a full kitchen I could be tempted to use (though unlikely 😂) and it could be more then 4 days.

So long story short, studio stays for us always result in more money spent within the confines of the Mouse not less.

Plus, since it seems likely that OKW and SSR hover around a lower occupancy overall - perhaps if more people like my family of 5 could stay in a studio, we could finally enjoy that resort and push the occupancy closer towards full.

God, I hope this means the pull-out beds at SSR are being replaced? The current sofabeds are absolutel torture.
They're getting the new sofa murphy bed, which is a double or queen. (Not sure which.) I think the fact that it is a murphy is why people keep saying there's a rumor about sleeping 5, because the current experience is that mruphy = the little beds at BRV, Poly, VGF etc.

Except call us the odd ducks, because I believe we have the perfect number of points for us.

Our children are nearing the grown and gone stage and the need for 5 beds with diminish - therefore I can’t see buying more points now in the short term. I can see a 10 night studio trip shortening to a 6 nightish 1 bedroom bedroom trip and then suddenly Disney is out the 4 extra days of dining and incidentals. Plus factor in the availability of a full kitchen I could be tempted to use (though unlikely 😂) and it could be more then 4 days.

So long story short, studio stays for us always result in more money spent within the confines of the Mouse not less.

Plus, since it seems likely that OKW and SSR hover around a lower occupancy overall - perhaps if more people like my family of 5 could stay in a studio, we could finally enjoy that resort and push the occupancy closer towards full.

Studios are always sold out no matter what, they have no reason to incentivize their usage at a sold out resort, unless they can get something in return (i.e. charge members more expenses).

Hey - they added the murphy beds to the other resorts "due to member requests". ;)

Studios were never meant to sleep five. That was just something DVC had to add when they raised the price so high, new members couldn't afford the number of points they needed for a one bedroom villa.

no room for studios to sleep 5...but I don't see why they can't have a pull out chair or sleeper table or something in the 1br and up to sleep another guest. does anyone know if this is coming with the refurb for 1br and up?

no room for studios to sleep 5...but I don't see why they can't have a pull out chair or sleeper table or something in the 1br and up to sleep another guest. does anyone know if this is coming with the refurb for 1br and up?
BWV, BCV, SSR, BRV don't have room in the living room for the sleeper chair because of the layout of the room and the size of the furniture. Especially where the studio connects in the living room to make a lockoff two bedroom.

The sofa bed in the 1 beds will have a chaise, not clear yet if someone could sleep on this such as a child. They really do need to find a way to put that 5th sleep surface in a 1 bed. If they'd been motivated to do so, they could have made that retained seat on that sofa bed another single bed for kids.
Not sure why the studios cannot have a single Murphy as they do at BWV and BCV? Not to do so will be a mistake simply because it will not encourage families of 5, or 4 where the kids don't like to share, to book SSR and thus not increase SSRs popularity like they need to do following the refurb.
Also looks like they are going to significantly upgrade the main building and Turf Club.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!