SSR studio switching to sleeping 5 from 4

Did I miss something? I don't remember SSR sleeping five in a one bedroom ever. Maybe on points and the member providing bedding but it doesn't have the single sleeper like OKW does after the refurb. Maybe they adding it to SSR with this refurbishment?

Did I miss something? I don't remember SSR sleeping five in a one bedroom ever. Maybe on points and the member providing bedding but it doesn't have the single sleeper like OKW does after the refurb. Maybe they adding it to SSR with this refurbishment?

Correct. It's allowed you to book 5 on points but you needed to bring the bed and bedding for the 5th person. With the addition of the single murphy bed to the 1BR's that joins the queen murphy bed and queen bed it will now actually have a bed for the 5th person.

Building one almost finished, a friend of mine there now, interiors being finished, TVs and all furniture in etc. Super quick. My friend v impressed. Only 1 beds appear to have small under TV murphy, not studios. So appears to be an attempt to make 1 beds more desirable over studios and worth 2x the points maybe?

I'm afraid I find that very annoying that they aren't. They forced it into VWL, BCV and BWV and now aren't following thru with SSR? I did not agree with it being done in the first place but since they did they need to match them up IMO. And it wouldn't hurt for SSR to have more to distinguish the studios. Having it in the 1BR's is going to be big for SSR but it's the only resort. Hard to justify point chart changes on a single 1BR that gets changed to 5 beds.

Building one almost finished, a friend of mine there now, interiors being finished, TVs and all furniture in etc. Super quick. My friend v impressed. Only 1 beds appear to have small under TV murphy, not studios. So appears to be an attempt to make 1 beds more desirable over studios and worth 2x the points maybe?

Great to hear - We are traveling in six weeks. Maybe there is hope to get into one of these new rooms.

Adding the extra bed only in the 1BR makes a lot of sense, studios sleeping more people than 1BR is a cardinal sin of DVC management.

I'm afraid I find that very annoying that they aren't. They forced it into VWL, BCV and BWV and now aren't following thru with SSR? I did not agree with it being done in the first place but since they did they need to match them up IMO. And it wouldn't hurt for SSR to have more to distinguish the studios. Having it in the 1BR's is going to be big for SSR but it's the only resort. Hard to justify point chart changes on a single 1BR that gets changed to 5 beds.

I don't think Wakey hopes that 1BR would cost more points, just saying that having the extra bed may cause more people to use double the points (which is the current cost) to book them over a studio.

I don't think Wakey hopes that 1BR would cost more points, just saying that having the extra bed may cause more people to use double the points (which is the current cost) to book them over a studio.

Yes this is what I meant. I suspect DVC management wanting to drive people to 1 beds and show they have some extra value (after all, currently we have a perverse situation at BCV etc where the studios have more sleep surfaces, in a smaller space and resultant overcrowding, more room damage etc). So the extra sleep surface will for some give some justification for the current 2 x points. God no, I don’t want or expect them to put more points on 1 beds, I spent 4 months already protesting against that perverse decision on the lock off premium debacle!
I am with Zavandor that the extra bed in the studio was a big mistake (done some have suggested so Disney could attribute more shared cost to DVC in properties with a cash hotel, I have no idea if true) as it drove up studio demand over the twice the price 1 beds even more. So this makes sense but I also have some concerns about it because it means studios at SSR will not be as popular as they would be with the little Murphy, and more people need to start picking SSR as their resort of choice which I think is your point Kat.
I am hoping the main building will get a major revamp and Turf Club to increase the desirability. I would also love them to build an outdoor quickserve and bar like Boulder Ridge. With the lovely new rooms if they do the common areas and eating areas much better it will increase the desirability no end.

and more people need to start picking SSR as their resort of choice which I think is your point Kat.

Exactly. They opened the can of worms of 5 in a studio and I think that means they needed to continue forward with it especially at SSR. The 1BR's should get a bump there with the sleeping beds for 5 but the studios also need it. I recall someone posting a comment that I think came from their call to DVC about Chartpocolypse that SSR caused some issues because of it's size and lower preference. If they don't address it with the studios then that was as much smoke as everything else that came with that event. Give members a trade off for having bus transportation everywhere.

Looks like a Queen and a double to me.

Screen%20Shot%202019-08-23%20at%203.14.23%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202019-08-23%20at%203.14.23%20PM.png

Yes this is what I meant. I suspect DVC management wanting to drive people to 1 beds and show they have some extra value (after all, currently we have a perverse situation at BCV etc where the studios have more sleep surfaces, in a smaller space and resultant overcrowding, more room damage etc). So the extra sleep surface will for some give some justification for the current 2 x points. God no, I don’t want or expect them to put more points on 1 beds, I spent 4 months already protesting against that perverse decision on the lock off premium debacle!
I am with Zavandor that the extra bed in the studio was a big mistake (done some have suggested so Disney could attribute more shared cost to DVC in properties with a cash hotel, I have no idea if true) as it drove up studio demand over the twice the price 1 beds even more. So this makes sense but I also have some concerns about it because it means studios at SSR will not be as popular as they would be with the little Murphy, and more people need to start picking SSR as their resort of choice which I think is your point Kat.
I am hoping the main building will get a major revamp and Turf Club to increase the desirability. I would also love them to build an outdoor quickserve and bar like Boulder Ridge. With the lovely new rooms if they do the common areas and eating areas much better it will increase the desirability no end.
If they really want to increase desirability, they could connect SSR and OKW to Skyliner on the next phase. That would satisfy the “easy access to a park gate” gripe many people have with those resorts.

If they really want to increase desirability, they could connect SSR and OKW to Skyliner on the next phase. That would satisfy the “easy access to a park gate” gripe many people have with those resorts.
OKW is about seven minutes from Epcot and about 12 minutes from MK. I have no gripe about the buses at OKW and SSR. They have always been fine for our use.

I suspect they’ll connect Disney Springs eventually or with something else. I heard when buying SSR more recently, people have been getting warnings that there is an easement for a transportation system over it. That was not pointed out to me when I bought my 25 point add on a few years back, so is there some reason this started to be pointed out specifically?

OKW is about seven minutes from Epcot and about 12 minutes from MK. I have no gripe about the buses at OKW and SSR. They have always been fine for our use.

I never found it a problem either, but it is a common complaint whether we agree with it or not.

I've never heard that complaint.
I don’t view it as a complaint, so much as it is an observation. All of the other DVC resorts have multiple modes of transportation to and from the parks. Disney saw fit to add a second mode of transportation to a moderate hotel (CSR) and a value hotel (POP) but two of the largest DVC resorts only have bus transportation. If Disney is truly committed to reducing traffic congestion on their roadways, you would think it would include a plan to reduce the amount of bus traffic leaving those two resorts.

I don’t view it as a complaint, so much as it is an observation. All of the other DVC resorts have multiple modes of transportation to and from the parks. Disney saw fit to add a second mode of transportation to a moderate hotel (CSR) and a value hotel (POP) but two of the largest DVC resorts only have bus transportation. If Disney is truly committed to reducing traffic congestion on their roadways, you would think it would include a plan to reduce the amount of bus traffic leaving those two resorts.
And OKW and SSR can take a boat to Disney Springs. All the other resorts (less the Port Orleans two) have to take buses that everyone complains about.

And OKW and SSR can take a boat to Disney Springs. All the other resorts (less the Port Orleans two) have to take buses that everyone complains about.
But let’s be honest, most people are traveling to a Disney World for the theme parks, not Disney Springs. They may visit DS once, or twice if they are on a long vacation, but the draw to the area is the theme parks. DS is a side trip. I would much rather take an Uber from BWV to DS once, than ride buses to all of the parks for the duration of my stay.

I suspect they’ll connect Disney Springs eventually or with something else. I heard when buying SSR more recently, people have been getting warnings that there is an easement for a transportation system over it. That was not pointed out to me when I bought my 25 point add on a few years back, so is there some reason this started to be pointed out specifically?
Yes I believe it was for the monorail but that costs too much.

AKL/V is busses only too. I don’t think RIV will have buses to Epcot and HS when the Skyliner is active. To get to Epcot from the Grand Floridian your supposed to get to the TTC by boat to Poly, walk or Monorail around the Lagoon, get off and wait for an Epcot line monorail. I hear it takes about an hour. I’ll find out for sure in a month. I’ll take a short bus ride from SSR and OKW any day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter