SSR Lovers and Owners Part 3

I don’t think it is worth the cost, unless you have mobility issues. We have stayed in the last building of Paddock and it is almost as close to Disney Springs, and close to the Congress Park bus stop. I don’t think anything is a mile, unless you stay at the furthest treehouse villas and don’t take the internal bus.
Thank you. I went with standard with a request for Paddock. Fingers crossed!

How hard is it to drive our car from the carousel or paddock areas to the Carriage house? Is there parking available by the Carriage house?

How hard is it to drive our car from the carousel or paddock areas to the Carriage house? Is there parking available by the Carriage house?

The only parking at Carriage House is 30 min for check in/out. You can park across the street at the Springs and walk over to Carriage House.

I'm considering a SSR studio for the Princess Half Marathon weekend in February (anywhere from 2-3 people besides me). My one hesitation is that I've read some horror stories about the comfort (or lack thereof) of the sofabeds. Is it something where a mattress pad would make the sofabed comfortable or would I be better off bringing an air mattress for the third & fourth person?

Thanks!!!

This is prob a really dumb question but I just wanted to double check. We want to stay as close to the Paddock pool as possible. We have a standard studio booked.
Would the best room request just be “The Paddock?”

Seems like it would be but just wanted to see if you experts have any other tips to get us close to the pool.

Thanks in advance!

1) Paddock
2) Near pool

If you call to put the request in, they may let you combine the two requests as near Paddock pool. There are some buildings in Paddock that are a bit of a walk from the pool, so just being in Paddock will not necessarily mean you're close to the pool.

For what it's worth, I really wanted to be near the Paddock pool as well, but didn't really want to be in some of the further Paddock buildings. I decided that being near any pool was most important and would put me in a good location so "near pool" was my only request. We ended up being placed in Grandstand in the building that's both right next to the pool and closest to the Springs/main hub section. Although the pool didn't have a slide and the cool kiddie section that Paddock has, it was also less crowded and the kids still had a blast in the fountain play area they have. There's also a drink station and it was a short walk to the main pool, restaurant, quick service, etc. Also being at Grandstand meant we always had a seat on the bus when we went to the parks and were the first ones dropped off at the resort.

I'm not trying to change your mind or anything, just explaining why we put our request the way we did and how it worked out for us, even though Grandstand wouldn't have been my first choice.

We spent 12 days at SSR last month, in a 1 bed in Paddock (Building 10: 5501 - 5836, closest to the pool and bus stop). We made our request through Touring Plans with 1st choice Grandstand near pool, and 2nd this bldg in Paddock which we got. Pool was great (not huge but usually not too crowded), quick serve food with burgers etc., and only 5 mins walk to the Carriage House. This was our first visit to SSR and we were pleasantly surprised by how nice it was. I was worried given the mixed reviews in Disboards, especially all the comments about the size of the resort but it was great. I am fairly lazy about walking in Florida heat but I found the trip to carriage house / DS/ and boat all fine. We went to DS a number of times for lunch or dinner, it was great to have it so close and we enjoyed the short boat trip.

Sofa bed seemed to be OK too - my teenage sons (both tall) slept there for 12 nights and thought it was fine, no complaints!

I'm considering a SSR studio for the Princess Half Marathon weekend in February (anywhere from 2-3 people besides me). My one hesitation is that I've read some horror stories about the comfort (or lack thereof) of the sofabeds. Is it something where a mattress pad would make the sofabed comfortable or would I be better off bringing an air mattress for the third & fourth person?

Thanks!!!

Somewhere buried back in this thread is a post I wrote about the sofa beds. My DD32 slept on one a couple years ago, and the first night she was extremely uncomfortable. The mattress is quite thin and she could feel the supports underneath it. She asked at the front desk if there was anything that could be done, and they promptly offered to have some egg crate foam delivered to our room, which tells me that this is not the first time they have heard about this issue. She used one layer of it and found it to be an improvement, but she asked for a second layer, and that did the trick. I will say she is fussier about her sleeping accommodations than most, but I can see where the mattress alone would probably not be comfortable. Again, that was a couple years ago, and perhaps they have changed out the sofa beds or mattresses. But the egg crate foam seems to be readily available, if you don't want to haul your own mattress pads around.

we are staying here for my first time in September. Doing some research it appears we may be better off if we rent a car. I used to be a CP so I am very familiar with the area. I am wondering how the bus transportation is at this resort. I am from the west and we drive everywhere so I am not sure if I will enjoy the buses.

Bus transportation at SSR is no better or worse than at any other resort. Buses are dispatched from a central location, so the individual resorts have no control over bus service. I second the suggestion to consider the Grandstand section if you're using the buses. It's next to the central area where food and activities are, and it's the first bus stop of the resort, so you're guaranteed a seat when you leave for the parks, and you're the first ones dropped off at the end of a long day. On several occasions, we've had the experience of getting on the bus at the Grandstand, and the bus has had to bypass the last couple stops because it filled up on the third stop. Of course, if you rent a car, that isn't an issue.

Gotta noise question here. I usually always prefer either the ground floor or the very top floor of resorts, (as long as the aren't over like four stories). Ground floor for not having the need to use the elevators and the top floor for no noise above your room. Are the rooms at SSR noisy? If you are on a lower floor, how well are the rooms above you sound proofed? I am going to put in the Paddock area for my first request, but not sure if I want a ground floor or fourth floor request for my second, so I thought I would ask.

I have not noticed noise from above during any SSR stay. I suppose it could be just luck. I have never felt elevators were a problem at SSR. You may get a nicer view from a higher floor because of trees.

I have never made a room location request, just a section request. I hope you are happy with whatever you get!pixiedust:

Are the entrances to the rooms outside like the moderates & value resorts? Like more motel style? I can’t tell tell in pics & have never been there. But on pics, it looks like you don’t enter a bldg first like the other villas. It looks like the entry doors are off of outside corridors. Is this correct?

Are the entrances to the rooms outside like the moderates & value resorts? Like more motel style? I can’t tell tell in pics & have never been there. But on pics, it looks like you don’t enter a bldg first like the other villas. It looks like the entry doors are off of outside corridors. Is this correct?

That is correct.

Looks like it would be $24 a night to park our car at SSR. Do they still give you the paper parking pass? When do you pay the parking fees?

Are you a DVC member? The following can be found on the WDW website under Parking:

Disney Vacation Club Members
Members will not be charged for standard overnight self-parking when staying at a DVC Deluxe Villa, regardless of whether they use vacation points or another form of payment. Members also will not be charged to park when using vacation points to stay at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!