Spur of the moment trip--the GAC still confuses me

mtnprotracy

Earning My Ears
We've traveled a couple of times with our 19 yo special needs/non-verbal son since Disney began the new GAC process. We traveled under the older system as well, and I've yet to figure out how to get the most for my son out of the newer process.

Question 1: Since it is a spur of the moment trip (10/30 thru 12/3) is it better to just have the cast members do his FastPass selections when we go by guest services? The rides/experiences I can do a FP for now are not those we don't necessarily need a FP for.

Question 2: Here is my understanding of the process. I can only have 3 FPs at one time and only in one park (just like FP for everyone else). If we used a fast pass, we can go to the kiosk at another attraction and get a return time--which turns out to be the current waiting time to ride the ride.

Question 3: Do you all have any other suggestions as to how best use our limited time in the park? This system has us doing a lot of running back and forth, as most of our son's favorites are not necessarily close to one another. If he had his way, we'd park hop all day long, doing his two favorites at each park...lol.

Question 4: This trip is to celebrate my husband's 50th birthday....and I've planned it in like 10 days...his entire family is joining us....so far, we've kept it a SURPRISE!! My husband has early onset Parkinson's Disease. His mobility is good, but he tires easily and standing is really hard on his joints. Would he qualify for a GAC as well? I'm thinking we could have 12 of us together if he had a pass as well. Also, are there things Disney does for bdays that I may not know about....I know about the button and we're all doing matching shirts that day. If there are secrets I'm not aware of, please share!

Thanks, y'all!!!!

Your husband’s needs sound to be mobility/stamina, which will not qualify for DAS at either location. A wheelchair or other mobility device is recommended. Some attractions may issue a “wheelchair return” time to access through an alternative entrance. There are more of these in the CA parks than the FL parks.

Your large party will likely need to split in order to use your son’s DAS.

1. FP+ yes, make whatever selections you can now. CMs do not make these for you at the park. You can try to modify between now and arrival, as well as in the parks. It will be hard to get FP for 12, but try splitting into groups of 3-4 and look for overlapping times.

2. After using the first 3 FP you can use the app to book a 4th (then a 5th, etc. one at a time). FP time may be immediate or later in the day - depends what is available. No need to go to the attraction until you plan to ride; avoid cross-crossing the park as much as possible.

3. Only you know what your son will tolerate and what will work for the group. I suggest doing a “land” at a time - all attractions of interest - before moving to the next “land.” With a large group, you may want or need to split due to different interests. Plan to meet for lunch or dinner.

4. DAS for your DH is answered above - not likely. Birthday button, but I wouldn't expect anything else. Consider it pixie dust if more.

Enjoy your vacation!

We've traveled a couple of times with our 19 yo special needs/non-verbal son since Disney began the new GAC process. We traveled under the older system as well, and I've yet to figure out how to get the most for my son out of the newer process.

Question 1: Since it is a spur of the moment trip (10/30 thru 12/3) is it better to just have the cast members do his FastPass selections when we go by guest services? The rides/experiences I can do a FP for now are not those we don't necessarily need a FP for.

Question 2: Here is my understanding of the process. I can only have 3 FPs at one time and only in one park (just like FP for everyone else). If we used a fast pass, we can go to the kiosk at another attraction and get a return time--which turns out to be the current waiting time to ride the ride.

Question 3: Do you all have any other suggestions as to how best use our limited time in the park? This system has us doing a lot of running back and forth, as most of our son's favorites are not necessarily close to one another. If he had his way, we'd park hop all day long, doing his two favorites at each park...lol.

Question 4: This trip is to celebrate my husband's 50th birthday....and I've planned it in like 10 days...his entire family is joining us....so far, we've kept it a SURPRISE!! My husband has early onset Parkinson's Disease. His mobility is good, but he tires easily and standing is really hard on his joints. Would he qualify for a GAC as well? I'm thinking we could have 12 of us together if he had a pass as well. Also, are there things Disney does for bdays that I may not know about....I know about the button and we're all doing matching shirts that day. If there are secrets I'm not aware of, please share!

Thanks, y'all!!!!

I'm confused - it you've been to WDW since the new DAS ( FYI it's called DAS now, not GAS, BTW) then you've used the new system, right?

Question 1 - are you really going for over a month? (10/30 - 12/3) Or is that just a typo? Cast members will not give you FP+ for attractions that do not have them available - it's first come, first served, so book what you can now and check every day, multiple times on the MDE app on your phone to see if something pops up.

Question 2 - you seem to think the DAS is more than it is - it is not the same as FP+, so you don't get three booked ahead of time. DAS works as an alternate queue for standby, for the most part. You get a return time, and then come back and access the FP+ queue, instead of waiting in line. But everyone gets 3 FP+ to start the day, so using DAS and FP+ wisely can make the trip much more enjoyable.

Question 3 - have you tried social stories with your son? Set up each morning's FP+ some way that he will understand, and then he will not be stressed or surprised when he gets to the parks.

Question 4 - A rollator may help out your husband if he needs a place to sit and support for walking.

Of your son is into ride get a DAS return time use it and then get another one. You can have a DAS and FP at the same time Book your 3 FP now. The person with the DAS dose not have to get the return time someone else in your group can. Get a wheelchair or ECV or roller for your husband there is a lot of walking and standing at Disney even with the DAS. Where the birthday button all the time your never know where or when your get some pixie dust.

So we used DAS for our son when we were there - definitely make FP+ selections now, and check back daily to see if anything has opened up that you want FP for. You can use DAS access before your FP+ are used up, they are not booked on the app. Only one DAS "return time" can be set up at a time, though, so it's best to use the FP and the DAS in conjunction with each other. You visit the FP line of the ride you want to book a DAS return time with, the CM there will scan the band of the person with DAS and ask how many from the party are riding. They set it up in their tablets, then you return at the time they gave you and go through the FP line.

We knew our son was OK on ride lines up to about 30-40 minutes, so we booked our FastPasses, and then used DAS when the ride lines were really long. It made the whole trip so much more enjoyable for him, and we really tried to be careful about only using it when necessary!

1. Make your fastpasses now. No need for a CM to assist.
2. You can only get 1 DAS return at a time. The CM at Guest Relations may or may not be able to issue your first one. You or a member of your DAS party can go to the attraction and get your return time. The say it's wait time less 10 minutes, but on our last trip we found that wasn't necessarily the case. The iPads that issue the return times may have a different wait time than the posted one outside. Get your time, return anytime after your time, then you can book another.
3. not knowing what your priorities are, cannot answer.
4. He likely will not qualify for a DAS, but no one here can say for sure.

Remember, your son will need to have his picture taken and you will need to have your party (or their magic bands/cards) with you at Guest Relations to add them to the DAS party.

Slightly off topic but will toss this out there; at DL they offered to make the first DAS return time each day. At WDW they will usually say no, but I ask politely anyway. It is ironic, at DL the whole process is much easier, with the kiosks, and they make that first one for you, at WDW where it is sometimes difficult (think Soarin', pushing a 160 pound adult in a manual WC) they usually will not do it.

(more of a issue for me, I am a non-local & non-park CM, who needs to get my son's DAS each day of our 6 day trips....)

I thought the DAS was good for the length of the trip?

I believe PP uses CM passes, which apparently requires getting the DAS each day (my guess - because the Guest Passes can be used by multiple people).

I believe PP uses CM passes, which apparently requires getting the DAS each day (my guess - because the Guest Passes can be used by multiple people).
That is correct.

Guests who are using multi-day tickets or annual passes that were purchased do not need to get DAS renewed every day. It will be authorized for at least as many days as the ticket is valid for up to 60 days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!