SPRING TIME AT WDW

Angelrose

But I LIKE boring!
SPRING TIME AT WDW

Hello there. My name is Mary and I will be traveling to WDW for the first time for the Flower and Garden Festival. I will be traveling with my son Chuck, daughter in law Karen and my two grandchildren, Jesse and Zoey. Grandmom to them but otherwise known as Graham Cracker. Don’t ask.

I am super excited for this trip. This past year hasn’t been the best for me. Two hip replacements in April and June of last year and now other health problems. I wasn’t sure I would be up for it, but I am feeling perfectly fine and raring to go.

I am set to fly out on April 14th and fly back on the 20th. The rest of the family will leave on the 13th and be back on the 28th. We have rented a condo this time instead of a house. Plenty of room for all of us.

Karen and I are doing a low carb/keto diet for health reasons. Karen has found plenty of wonderful places to eat that are just perfect for our diets. Karen has planned everything on this trip except the fast passes. Chuck takes care of that. All I have to do is get on the plane.

My cousin Joan will take me to the airport which is close to my home and pick me up when I get back. I will have to use a scooter but I can walk a bit too. All I have to remember is not to leave my cane whenever I stop to shop!

A car will pick me up at the airport at Orlando and take me to the condo. When we get unpacked and rested a bit, we will head over to Disney Springs. Only 19 days to go!

April 14, 2018 – Joan picked me up right at 4:30. When we got to the airport, we were about the 4th car in line. The first car lets out a little old lady. The second car lets out two little old ladies, the third car, yep another little old lady. So I turned to Joan and said this must be the entrance for little old ladies and I got out of the car. We both had a good laugh and I went through security with no problem. It’s now 5:20. I look at my boarding pass and it says gate 8. Of course that is alllllllll the way down to the right. So I schlep to gate 8 with my heavy laptop bag and sit down. Nobody else is there. I also notice that the gate says Atlanta and the time is in the evening. Well, maybe they haven’t updated it yet. I dozed off for a few minutes and there is still nobody here. I doze off again, and still nobody. I went to the rest room, came back and finally asked someone if this was the right gate. UMMMMMMMMM no. They had changed it to gate 4! Gate 4 is, you guessed it, ALLLLLLLLLLLLLL the way to the left. So I pick up my laptop and schlep all the way to gate 4. There was still plenty of time. Another couple came to the attendant and told him he’d better make an announcement because there were a lot of people waiting at gate 8. Around a half hour before we boarded, they did make the announcement. We boarded right at 7:20 and we took off a few minutes before 8. I had a window seat but I think I dozed off on the plane. I did wake up to hear the pilot say we were starting to descend. We went through a cloud bank and all of a sudden the clouds turned PINK! Now it wasn’t sunrise or anything but it sure was beautiful.
I had Meers limo service and he was there and even spelled my last name right. NOBODY spells my last name right. Even when they are looking at it. He was very nice and helped me. We got to the resort only to have to wait 20 minutes in a line of cars to get through security. The man who delivered my scooter had to wait an hour in line. Totally not acceptable.

As soon as I got out of the car, my grandson Jesse ran out to give me a hug yelling “Grandmom” Zoey was right behind him with her hug. I live for these moments.

We drove to Disney Springs. It was really hot and humid. The first thing we did was get lunch. Chuck took the kids somewhere and Karen and I went to the Polite Pig. She had the brisket and I had the bbq sausage hoagie. A friend of Karen’s told her to order the fried Brussels sprouts and not to share. So we each got a serving of them. I tried one first and Karen asked how it was. I bravely told her that she wouldn’t like them and to save her I would graciously eat hers too. Somehow she didn’t believe me and she enjoyed them as much as I did. If you go to the Polite Pig ORDER these. If you think you don’t like Brussels sprouts, you are WRONG! I didn’t eat the hoagie roll, but boy was that sausage delicious. Karen loved her lunch as well. We looked in a few stores and then Karen got our Magic bands activated. Chuck and I took the kids and looked in more stores. The only thing I found was at the Basin store. I got some body butter for me and Joan and some lotion. I think we were all dragging by this time. The heat and humidity plus being awake for so long took its toll. We had dinner reservations at Edison, but nobody felt hungry and we were all too tired. We stopped at Publix and Chuck and Karen got some groceries while I stayed in the car with the kids. I took a quick shower and got into my jammies, wrote up todays happenings and now it’s time for bed.

Last edited:
Sorry about that, I will have to ask my son what I am doing wrong. It's been a while since I have posted pictures here. Don't give up hope.

Glad to see you are starting your report :cheer2:. Looking forward to reading more. The sausage sandwich looks great, will keep it in mind for our next trip.

Thank you ncc1701. I dream about that sandwich. LOL

I have a lot of work to do still on this report. So many pictures I want to post but I will have to cut down if I want to get it done before our next trip!

April 15, 2018 – This was Magic Kingdom day. Barnstormer was the first on the list. Two years ago Zoey cried through the whole ride. What a difference this year. She laughed and wanted to do it again. So we all went on Barnstormer again. We did Buzz Lightyear and my score was my all time high of 12,700. The next ride was Space Mountain. We were wondering how Zoey would like it. I couldn’t go on it because it hurts my head. So sad, I really loved this ride. I waited outside and looked in Merchant of Venus and Mickey’s Star Traders. I didn’t find anything I wanted. Then they came out and Zoey had a big smile on her face. She loved it!

Next we went on Carousel of Progress. This is a must every time we go. I love it and this time everyone sang the song for each century. It was a lot of fun. After that we took a rest of the People Mover. That is so relaxing. Time for lunch. We stopped at Pecos Bills. I had a bacon cheese burger and Jesse had the same. Zoey had her favorite Uncrustable. Chuck had some nachos and Karen had some beef something or other. They have this new thing at some of the food places. You can order your food with your smart phone and they will text you when it is done. That’s a lot better than standing in line.

After lunch we went on Thunder Mountain. Again Zoey laughed and even put her hands up. Jesse was in the back and he said that was the best place.

Next came Jungle Cruise. We had a very funny captain this time and it was very enjoyable. This was the first time we had seen the Pirates of the Caribbean since they redid it. We were sad to see “we wants the red head” gone. But everything changes.

We stopped for a snack and Karen got some pork rinds and I had a couple with queso dip. Of course I got it all over my face. You just can’t take me anywhere.

We had Fast passes for Haunted Mansion. I think this is one of my favorite rides besides Peter Pan. Chuck’s Magic Band is the Haunted Mansion and it glows in the dark. It makes it easy to find him on dark rides.

Next we went to see Mickey’s Philharmagic. As old as I am I still reach for those jewels. It’s a lot of fun.

Now the kids wanted to ride the carousel. Did I mention that it had started to rain? It had started to rain. We decided to have dinner at Cosmic Rays before it really rained. Karen again ordered our food from her phone and got a text when it was ready. Jesse got his usual cheeseburger, I got a hot dog and Karen got the roast chicken with green beans. Chuck got a bacon cheeseburger and Zoey had, you guess it, an Uncrustable. She also ate two pouches of applesauce and all of my French Fries. Now it was RAINING! And windy to boot. I was so glad we were inside.

We decided to call it a night and Karen and Jesse stomped through all the puddles and were dancing in the rain. Zoey got too cold and huddled next to daddy. There was a photopass guy taking pictures of them dancing and jumping in puddles. I can’t wait to see them.

Driving home there was bumper to bumper traffic. Everyone was leaving the park. But we made it home and I got a hot shower and will probably make it an early night again.

April 16, 2018 – Today was Animal Kingdom day. I was excited to see Pandora so it was our first stop. I loved the theming and since it was very windy and chilly today, I got a Pandora sweatshirt. It has spots that glow under black light. We walked around enjoying the theming. We will come back later this afternoon for our fast pass to the Navi River Journey. We rode dinosaur and Zoey loved it. Then it was time for lunch. We all ate somewhere. LOL I can’t remember where, but it was good.

The kids wanted to play in Dinoland and the rest of us rested and let them blow off some steam.

Now it was time for Everest. Jesse went on with Karen and Zoey, of course rode with Chuck. I rode with a complete stranger. Zoey was scared to death on this and daddy had to hold her in the gift shop. A stuffed leopard made her feel much better.

Now it was time for our safari. We did see a lot of animals and a couple of giraffes came right up to the jeep. I think the ride gets bumpier every time we come.

We walked around enjoying the sights and stopped into see It’s Tough to be a Bug. I was very surprised at the end and so was the rest of the family. Did I mention that I hate bugs? This hasn’t changed.

Our fast passes for the Navi River Journey were coming up so we went over and got in line. We got in our boats and, oh how beautiful it was. I only wish it was a lot longer.

Our tummies told us it was time for dinner. We ate at Sal’ule Café. The food there is a bit odd but Karen and I enjoyed a beef bowl with kale and Romain lettuce with purple broccoli, a bit of cole slaw and something that I think was riced cauliflower that was dyed pink. The kids didn’t like their hotdog in a twisted roll and Chuck wasn’t impressed with his cheeseburger in a steamed pocket. The kids had to be cajoled into trying the purple chips. Just potato chips dyed purple. I did eat one chip. Karen ordered this blueberry cheesecake dessert. It was tiny and blueberry on the bottom, yellow on top of that and white on the top. We each had a spoonful and gave the rest to Chuck. That was only two more spoonsful.

We went to see the Festival of the Lion King. We love that show. It never disappoints and it’s just a feast for the soul.

The kids wanted to do the Triceratops Spin. Karen and I weren’t interested so Chuck took them and Karen and I did some shopping. I got two Pandora pins, and a Pandora coffee cup. I really wanted this little light with one of those floaty things from the movie, but my wallet refused to open. Cheeky thing!

We were all so tired and we walked out and came home. Another fun day and beautiful weather.

April 17, 2018 - A bit warmer today but still cool enough for me to wear my new sweatshirt. Today is Disney Studios. Our first stop was Tower of Terror. Chuck and I are the only ones that love this ride. It was a good sequence and everyone applauded at the end.

We looked in a few stores and headed over to the Star Wars area. We watched an interesting documentary on how they made different things in the Star Wars series. I had no idea they even made animated series. It was enjoyable. Then we watched the Storm Troopers. They came around inside and someone tried to get a picture with them. They turned their guns on them and chased them. It was very funny. Then one of them looked at little Zoey. Did she run away? Was she scared? Nope she just looked right back at him giving him the evil eye. OMG it was so funny, he eventually gave up.

We walked around a bit and then watched The Voyage of the Little Mermaid. Zoey loved that. I hate getting wet!

We were hungry but just had enough time to have a quick lunch and the Dockside café. I wanted a chili cheese dog and so did Karen. The kids just wanted plain hotdogs. And then they came. They were humongous! I ate the whole thing except for the roll and it was so good. Karen did the same. Jesse and Zoey only ate a bit of theirs. Chuck took a few bites of their hotdogs. He was saving himself for the dinner in Mexico tonight.

It was time for our fastpasses for Indiana Jones. No matter how many times we see this show, we still love it. This time they were having problems with the plane, so they cut the show short. It was still good.

Chuck had gotten fastpasses for Rock N Roller Coaster. Now a few years ago I decided to conquer my fear of going upside down and tried it. Well, I loved it and went on it a few more times. Now that I have conquered my fear, I can justify NOT going on it. Zoey tried it. She was scared and probably won’t do it again for quite a while. But I give her credit, she tried it. Jesse sat it out with me this time. He had gone on it a few times and he just didn’t feel like it this time around.

Now we split up. Karen, Zoey and I went to see the Frozen sing along. It was very funny this time. And we got snowed on.

Chuck and Jesse went on Star Tours and watched some street players. We all met up and headed home.

The kids and I changed into our suits and went to the pool while Chuck and Karen headed out for date night. The pool was wonderful. Just warm enough to conquer the cool breeze, but not bath water. We spent a little over an hour there and then came home. Kids got their showers first and then dinner. I got my shower and they did a bit of homework. They are both so quiet now up in their rooms. Maybe I can get a short nap in. NAHHHHHH That won’t happen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter