Spots for downtime in resorts near parks?

eac578

Mouseketeer
Looking at our schedule, we are likely to want a midday break (summertime) between parks. I don't love the idea of all the travel time back to our resort (POP) every day though. Is it possible to take a break at a resort near the parks? For instance at a monorail resort on a MK day or at a boardwalk area resort on an epcot/HS day?

2 adults, 2 tween/teen. If we were to get some snacks and drinks at a quick serve is there a spot in these resorts to sit down for an hour or two and rest (read/let kids watch a video on their phones)? Is this allowed or are seating areas like that only for guests of that resort? In resort videos I have seen online there often looks to be ample seating in lobby/lounge areas but maybe this is not usually the case?

We would really like the break to sit in AC, get off our feet, have a break from crowds but not necessarily go to our own room (no napping little kids etc).

Any suggestions for spots that would work?

The 2nd floor of the contemporary resort is perfect for that. Lots of sofas and comfy chairs. You can kick back with a nice view of the lake and charge up your phones. It’s very quiet there (I don’t think many people know about it) and it’s a short 5-10 min walk from the MK (or monorail ride).

Just take the escalator in the back of the contemporary lobby and relax. You can get food and drinks on the 4th floor at the contempo cafe or by the pool.

The other MK resorts are beautiful but I don’t know if they have quiet spots away from everyone.

Looking at our schedule, we are likely to want a midday break (summertime) between parks. I don't love the idea of all the travel time back to our resort (POP) every day though. Is it possible to take a break at a resort near the parks? For instance at a monorail resort on a MK day or at a boardwalk area resort on an epcot/HS day?

2 adults, 2 tween/teen. If we were to get some snacks and drinks at a quick serve is there a spot in these resorts to sit down for an hour or two and rest (read/let kids watch a video on their phones)? Is this allowed or are seating areas like that only for guests of that resort? In resort videos I have seen online there often looks to be ample seating in lobby/lounge areas but maybe this is not usually the case?

We would really like the break to sit in AC, get off our feet, have a break from crowds but not necessarily go to our own room (no napping little kids etc).

Any suggestions for spots that would work?

CR is very convenient from MK as you can walk there, however, the atmosphere isn't the greatest, IMHO. Personally, I would get on the boat and go to WL. It is absolutely gorgeous, has a good QS location and ample seating in the lobby. If you find the main lobby to be crowded, you can also walk next door to BRV where they have a little sitting room (where some of Walt Disney's small backyard trains are displayed). If you feel like doing a little exploring, you can ask the front desk or concierge for a hand-out that describes the totem poles and artifacts displayed in the lobby.

For EP, your closest bet is BC which is basically right next door to EP IG. There is the Marketplace there for snacks and drinks. In the main building you'll find the lobby (which gets fairly crowded) and the Solarium. If you walk across the path to BCV, there is also a fairly large lobby there which doesn't seem to get as crowded as the main lobby.

From DHS, you could just take the Skyliner one stop and hang out in the CBR lobby or take the Friendship boat to Swan/Dolphin, YC/BC or BWI. Swan/Dolphin is the first stop on the boat and Dolphin has a huge lobby with a quick serve/snack place. Or you could go to the second stop and go to BC as noted above.

From AKL, your closest bet is AK by bus/lyft/uber/Minnie Van. The lobby is huge with animal viewing from an area in the back and their quick service restaurant is near the lobby as well.

Poly has some hustle & bustle, but it's still pretty relaxing. Adults could grab a drink at trader Sam's or a good cup of coffee, everyone else can get Dole Whip.

And I like Captain Cook's as a QS restaurant

These are great suggestions, thanks!

I was just a bit worried that we'd not be allowed to just hang out in the seating in the lobby for an hour in the afternoon. Will definitely try some of these out. Probably more comfortable than lounging on the beds in our room and definitely faster than bussing back there!

When we stayed at BC we relaxed in the Solarium. We got some food from HH (the pool bar) and took it to the Solarium. The kids watched tv and we lounged. I think one or two other families came in and everyone just chilled out.

I was just a bit worried that we'd not be allowed to just hang out in the seating in the lobby for an hour in the afternoon. Will definitely try some of these out. Probably more comfortable than lounging on the beds in our room and definitely faster than bussing back there!
I second the suggestion to hang out at WL. There are some separate seating areas to relax, one of them is on the fourth floor above the main entrance door. Another quiet place to hang out is in the Boulder Ridge building. It has a great community room that is almost always empty.

There are three great places to hang out at the Beach Club. One of them is the Solarium, located between the lobby and the quick service location. And there are two good places in the Beach Club villas building, the drawing room and the library, which is little busier. The drawing room is our favorite since it has the most privacy and is the quietest.

You can totally chill out in other resort lobby areas. No one has mentioned the GF lobby, but there is often music and the lobby is so light and airy. You can also grab a Dole Whip and check out the Poly lobby and/or beach, head to POR and take a boat ride to/from DS, grab a beignet at POFQ, do the monorail loop, wander the Boardwalk, etc. One of our favorite things to do on our Disney trips is explore other resorts. Only the pools are restricted to guests.

chilling in other lobbies? totally cool.

using resort amenities like pools? not cool.

I think there’s lots to see and do at resorts close to the parks. Definitely relax in the lobbies! A few other ideas that might appeal:
GF: check out the cute soaps at the little shop on the second floor (turn left when you get off the monorail)
Poly: grab some dole whips and relax in the lobby, or stroll down the beach
Boardwalk: grab a cone at ample hills creamery and stroll or find a bench along the boardwalk
Beach Club: get ice cream at beaches and cream.

...okay, I guess there are just a million places to have ice cream!!!

I was just a bit worried that we'd not be allowed to just hang out in the seating in the lobby for an hour in the afternoon.
I've stayed at those 6 resorts and have NEVER seen anyone being questioned. There are always people lounging in the lobby. If you truly want to be left alone, then don't go to Yacht Club. There's a "captain" in the lobby greeting guests and striking up random conversations with guests.

You are not allowed to use the pools at other resorts, but otherwise you are completely fine with visiting other resorts and enjoying their restaurants, sitting areas, activities, etc. Some have Hidden Mickey Hunts you can ask about in the lobby--I'm almost sure that WL does. :) You can try hitting up Youtube and searching for things like "Polynesian Resort tour" etc., to get ideas of what the different resorts have to offer, too.

MK = either boat over to Poly and relax in the lobby or Tambu Lounge or walk ( when the bridge is complete ) to the GF and relax in the lobby. They do have live music during the day, ( piano player or the orchestra ) so plan for that.
EP = the Bellevue Room at BWI. ( exit the International Gateway and head towards Boardwalk Inn - it's on the 2nd floor off the lobby ). Another fun thing may be to ride the Skyliner. Exit the same way as if you were going to Boardwalk.
HS = I'd recommend the same as above.
AK = take the bus to either AKL or Coronado Springs. AKL has a beautiful lobby and you can view the animals. At the Coronado, I'd walk over to the new Gran Destino Tower - the lobby looks amazing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter