Sports or Riverside?

tinkerbellybutton

DIS Veteran
We are headed to Disney at the end of May. Currently I have All Star Sports booked for 3 nights Memorial Day weekend, then we move to Poly for 5 nights. I booked Sports because at the time it was the only value resort available with the military discount. As we get closer to the trip I am having second thoughts. I called Disney today and the only thing else available with military discount is Riverside for around $100 more per night. I know its such a personal decision, but just wondering what other's would do? I can swing the extra $300 for those 3 nights, but maybe I am making too much out of it. LOL. It's only for 3 nights, but we normally prefer to stay at a moderate or deluxe. Wanting to make a decision today because I want to avoid paying the resort parking fee, which will kick in if I book after the 21st.

I've stayed at Riverside and Music (not Sports), and for an extra $300, I'd pick Riverside every time. It really depends on what you want do with that money and if it was already budgeted elsewhere for your trip, but for us Riverside was so much nicer it would be worth it.

I've stayed at Riverside and Music (not Sports), and for an extra $300, I'd pick Riverside every time. It really depends on what you want do with that money and if it was already budgeted elsewhere for your trip, but for us Riverside was so much nicer it would be worth it.

I would just pay the extra $300, it wouldn't necessarily come out anything else budgeted for the trip. I imagine this will be our last trip for a while, so I am wanting it to go well. Not really a fan of value resorts, but Riverside is also our least favorite moderate, but only one available.

If the $300 is a non issue I would do POR. I don’t care for any of the all stars. POR is our favorite moderate hotel. It’s peaceful, beautifully themed, has lush landscaping, great pools and not super long walks to the bus stop. I won’t say never but if I was picking value I’d do POP only.

We are headed to Disney at the end of May. Currently I have All Star Sports booked for 3 nights Memorial Day weekend, then we move to Poly for 5 nights. I booked Sports because at the time it was the only value resort available with the military discount. As we get closer to the trip I am having second thoughts. I called Disney today and the only thing else available with military discount is Riverside for around $100 more per night. I know its such a personal decision, but just wondering what other's would do? I can swing the extra $300 for those 3 nights, but maybe I am making too much out of it. LOL. It's only for 3 nights, but we normally prefer to stay at a moderate or deluxe. Wanting to make a decision today because I want to avoid paying the resort parking fee, which will kick in if I book after the 21st.

Also was there nothing open at shades of green??

If the $300 is a non issue I would do POR. I don’t care for any of the all stars. POR is our favorite moderate hotel. It’s peaceful, beautifully themed, has lush landscaping, great pools and not super long walks to the bus stop. I won’t say never but if I was picking value I’d do POP only.

Actually I called today to see if Pop had become available. It is also our preferred resort if we are going to go value. But it's not available at all, military discount or rack rate.

We love POR. I think it’s a beautiful resort, love the mansion section along the river. Boat to Disney Springs, carriage rides, fun evening entertainer. Nice pool(s). My fav food court. Love the make your own pasta bar. Queen beds.

I would move if you’re planing on resort time. If you’re going to be in the parks opening to closing it may not matter.

There was availability at one point, but my crazy kids want a "real" Disney resort. We've stayed at SOG before and aren't fans, but for three nights I was game, kids not so much. LOL.

Those kids always cramping our style LOL!! I just watched a video tour of SOG and it looks so pretty but I would agree it doesn’t have the Disney flair!

Those kids always cramping our style LOL!! I just watched a video tour of SOG and it looks so pretty but I would agree it doesn’t have the Disney flair!

We have stayed there 3 or 4 times, mostly when we needed an extra night or two, and we didn't enjoy it like we do the Disney resorts. So I understand their desire for a Disney resort! Lol Our go to resort when we don't stay deluxe is usually Caribbean Beach, but not in its current condition! Lol

Ah, I didn't realize you had already stayed at POR and disliked it. That might change my answer. My thoughts come from a person who didn't like Music and really like POR quite a bit. If you didn't like it then I can't imagine you'll like it now, but then again I can't see someone who disliked POR enjoying an All-Star.

Ah, I didn't realize you had already stayed at POR and disliked it. That might change my answer. My thoughts come from a person who didn't like Music and really like POR quite a bit. If you didn't like it then I can't imagine you'll like it now, but then again I can't see someone who disliked POR enjoying an All-Star.

Lol. You are correct! We really don't love the value resorts or Riverside. But its all that is available for my dates without me having to spend a fortune!

We rented points from a friend for the Poly for the other 5 nights, but my friend only had enough points for 5 nights. I tacked an extra 3 nights onto the beginning. In the end either will do, I was just having second thoughts about the value resort. We won't spend a ton of time at the resort on those first few days of vacation, but may spend an hour or two at the pool each day for a midday break. Its been so long since we stayed at a value, I am not sure how loud it gets (I remember the values being very loud).

A friend did put it into perspective. We are going on a short (non Disney) trip for 4th of July and that extra $300 will pay for 2 nights of that trip. Definitely something to consider when spending that extra money on this trip.

I'm in the minority--I would stay at Sports and use the money for something else. I LIKE POR and I think their food court is the best on WDW property, but $100/day is pretty steep for a short trip when you are mainly going to visit the parks. YMMV

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter