Sport coat for men?

WLmom

Earning My Ears
Do men need to wear a sport coat for formal night or would slacks and button up shirt be ok?

You can wear whatever you want. Formal is only a suggestion, so no combination is wrong. With that said, probably 50-75% of men have at least a sport coat. A lot of people do go with shirt and tie, though. A lot is dictated by packing, especially if you are flying.

I wore slacks and an Oxford shirt (no tie) on our Southern Caribbean in January and was fine. There were some much more dressed up (full mess dress uniforms and tuxedos) and some MUCH less dressed up (shorts and t-shirts) so it's really up to you. I personally hate wearing a coat, so I dialed it back this year.

However, if I'm on a cruise long enough for an Officer's Ball, I'll wear a suit to that.

DH and DS wear polo shirts and khaki trousers to all dinners, regardless of whether it's labelled "formal" or not..
they never feel out of place..

As people have said, do what feels comfortable. Or, if you’re travelling with a larger group, coordinate so that everyone wears roughly the same level of dress, be it formal, business casual, or shirts and shorts.

The "rules" for formal night are, as stated in "Prates of the Caribbean," merely guidelines. Only the more formal/expensive dining rooms make you walk the plank if you don't meet their standards...Captain Hook will be called!!

My husband always bring at least a sports jacket to wear on formal night. We have no problem packing our formal wear in LLBean Large size Adventure duffels (with wheels).

Formal wear really does not take up much room (even dress shoes). We only bring one duffel each and never had any space issues in the bag or wrinkles. I just hang the formal wear up as soon as we get the bags in the cabin and they are fine for formal/semi formal nights.

MJ

DW & I enjoy 'dressing for dinner' so I bring a tux & she a gown for Remy & formal night. On Semi-formal night, I wear a suit & she a dress. The rest of the nights I still wear a sport coat and tie, but that's our preference. We like to make every night a date night.

DW & I enjoy 'dressing for dinner' so I bring a tux & she a gown for Remy & formal night. On Semi-formal night, I wear a suit & she a dress. The rest of the nights I still wear a sport coat and tie, but that's our preference. We like to make every night a date night.

My wife likes for me to dress for formal night, so I wear a tux. Something happened to the tuxedo that I own, over the years it seems to have shrunk :-) so I rent one from cruiseline formalwear. A little less for us to pack. If they offer it on the cruise, I have recently rented their combo package and have the white dinner jacket for semi formal night.

My rule of thumb: If there's white tablecloth then my family must dress up. That means dresses for the girls, pants and a button down with a little jacket or nice sweater for the baby boy, and a dress/slacks and heels for me and a jacket with a long-sleeved button down for my husband. My husband packed one jacket and wore it each night.

I dressed my family for dinner every night, and I have to say, we looked good, felt good, and the kids acted good!

If you don't regularly dress up at home, then do so on this very, very special vacation. You can wear slacks to dinner any time at home, but how often do you dress your family up in honor of a meal together? Make the moment special!

My wife likes for me to dress for formal night, so I wear a tux. Something happened to the tuxedo that I own, over the years it seems to have shrunk :-) so I rent one from cruiseline formalwear. A little less for us to pack. If they offer it on the cruise, I have recently rented their combo package and have the white dinner jacket for semi formal night.

A friend of mine complained that her vacation clothes shrunk in her luggage, so another friend recommended buying new luggage.

I will wear a sports coat for semi-formal nights and a suit during formal meals in the MDR but hey I say wear whatever makes you comfortable. When I was on one of my WBTA Cruises (14-nights) there was a family sitting next to my table and the husband wore shorts, t-shirt and crocs for every single meal. None of the cast members or dining team said anything and in a way I was a little jealous of him.

When I was on one of my WBTA Cruises (14-nights) there was a family sitting next to my table and the husband wore shorts, t-shirt and crocs for every single meal.
I would pay good money to see someone try and pull off a suit and clogs. Just saying.

I would pay good money to see someone try and pull off a suit and clogs. Just saying.

You should meet my dad. One cruise, he had his tux and dress shoes - except when he went to put his shoes on, they didn't fit. He ended up wearing his bright orange crocs with it because they were the only shoes he had that would fit (other than his water shoes).

My rule of thumb: If there's white tablecloth then my family must dress up. That means dresses for the girls, pants and a button down with a little jacket or nice sweater for the baby boy, and a dress/slacks and heels for me and a jacket with a long-sleeved button down for my husband. My husband packed one jacket and wore it each night.

I dressed my family for dinner every night, and I have to say, we looked good, felt good, and the kids acted good!

If you don't regularly dress up at home, then do so on this very, very special vacation. You can wear slacks to dinner any time at home, but how often do you dress your family up in honor of a meal together? Make the moment special!
this is our philosophy as well. We dress up to some degree every night, and do the same if we go to a "white tablecloth" restaurant at home.

Shoes are the real luggage space killer, especially if you are carry on only folks like us. I can get DH to wear a sport jacket but not a tie, he hardly even owns any, and he's not going to want to pack his formal shoes so a jacket and sneakers it will be. I can't justify bringing heels to Alaska they're just stupidly impractical and no one will see my feet once I'm seated anyway.

You should meet my dad. One cruise, he had his tux and dress shoes - except when he went to put his shoes on, they didn't fit. He ended up wearing his bright orange crocs with it because they were the only shoes he had that would fit (other than his water shoes).
Probably the better call. The water shoes would look a bit more stylish, but Crocs... Crocs are as comfortable as they (the original clog style) are ugly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!