Split stays

dachsie

DIS Veteran
For those of you who do split stays I have a few questions:

1. Why do people do split stays? I know why I am considering it, just wondered what the consensus was.
2. When you do a split stay at two different levels of resorts, do you stay at the better one first or last?
3. How do you get your things transferred to the new resort?

I am sure there are more questions I will think of but this is a start

1. Because I can. Reasons are really too varied to list but main reason, because they are there, so why not stay in them.
2. Sometimes better one first, sometimes not, just depends. We don't stay Value, unless it's 1 night following a very late flight so we don't mind going Mod/Deluxe or Deluxe/Mod. I like both.
3. Always let Disney move my bags. Drop them with bell services, head to the park, leave park, head to new resort, call for bags. This will take till at least 3PM, usually 5PM, so plan accordingly. Do not let the resort tell you any different. It will take at least till 3PM, probably longer.

1. Because I like to try different resorts, or a specific resort may work best for one part of our trip and a different resort work best for another part of our trip.
2. We have always stayed in the better one last, but not necessarily by design, I would have no issue doing it the other way around. Like the pp I only book a value resort if for a single night if I am getting to WDW very late.
3. I have done Uber/Lyft before and I have had Disney move my bags, no real preference either way they both work fine. I usually do Uber/Lyft if I am moving to an Epcot resort and then going straight to Epcot, or an MK resort and then straight to MK.

It costs less for me to do a split and I like trying out new places.
I do the lesser one at the first of the trip.
I drive down so there is no need to transfer luggage for us. We just get up early on move day, drive to resort #2 and check in, leave our bags and head off to a park.

With the advent of uber/lyft/Minnie Vans on property, we don't do them much anymore, but, when we did, it was mostly for convenience and to experience different resorts. We would stay at a MK resort when focusing on MK, then stay at an EP resort to visit DHS and EP. For those trips, the only time we stepped foot on a bus was when we went to AK and on some trips, we simply skipped AK. I hate Disney buses!

We're doing our first split stay this trip. We're doing it to mostly to take advantage of the fall discounts, as I wasn't able to get our full time at one resort discounted. But it's a good way for us to try two resorts that we have never stayed at before.

Sometimes to try a different resort for a few days and then move to a favorite, or sometimes to save money.
We do the "better" resort last if we're moving between categories.
We drive so we move our own luggage.

1. Why do people do split stays? I know why I am considering it, just wondered what the consensus was.
2. When you do a split stay at two different levels of resorts, do you stay at the better one first or last?

1. I have stays 10-14 days so sometime I find it fun to split, sometimes it’s to save $ splitting a deluxe with moderate.
2. I have stayed at different levels. Always go to Best Resort last. Doing the best first is putting a damper on moving to a lower resort next.
3. I prefer to take an early taxi or Uber/Lyft to transfer us and our luggage to new resort. Do early check in, drop luggage with Bell Service if room isn’t ready and head to a park for rope drop.

A number of years ago we did a split stay 5 days each at Poly, Beach Club and GF. The GF portion of the stay was primarily a resort stay as we had pretty much finished the parks. Since they were all Deluxe resorts we didn't feel that we were missing or giving up anything.

However, I don't agree that saving the "best" for last is always the way to go. For our next visit we are doing a split stay. Staying at the Swan for arrival night, moving to the GF and then BW but really not doing a lot of park stuff until we move to BW, leaving the GF to kind of ease into the vacation - relax, have dinner at V&A, enjoy the grounds, visit other resorts and get ready for the go go go of the parks. This way we aren't so exhausted that by the time we get to our "best" resort.

Now, if I was going from a Value to Deluxe I might think differently, but for primarily park days I would have no problem doing a Deluxe first and then moving to a Value. When you are doing heavy park days the resort amenities don't mean a lot as long as you have a place to sleep.

We also enjoy split stays. This will be our second trip, 4th total, that we have not done a split stay because our trip is only 5 nights. Our first trip we did not do a split stay.

1. Its fun to try different resorts.
2. Always end on a high note!
3. Bell services.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter