Split stay with toddler. Am I crazy?

Wosmama6

Mouseketeer
Hi there, I know I can count on you guys to tell me if this will work.
Us: Me, planner and lover of both the mouse and the dark side, works PT and does 99.9% of household and parenting; DH, hates disney because of the intense crowds and planning, loves universal, would rather go somewhere else entirely, works 80-100 hours a week putting stents in people's hearts; DS, 6, doesn't remember his first trip to disney, went to universal 2 years ago for a day and loved it, chooses jurassic park over toy story but still loves toy story; DD, will be 18m at time of trip. loves to go but only within her specified routine, needs a separate space to sleep at night or we will all be doomed. We all get up too dang early (DH is usually at work by 6/630) and go to bed fairly early as a result.

Dates: 2/29-3/7. We COULD go 2/28-3/8, but I'm hesitant to not give us a day on either side to get ready/recoup

Currently booked:
Poly studio with plans to make second bathroom into baby cave with pack n play (DS will not sleep in separate room from us anyway, so no need to pay for 1BR), 6 day non hopper with plans for DH and DS to do a day at legoland somewhere in the middle. No crucial ADRs but would like a prepark breakfast or two, maybe a special fireworks experience getting a sitter for little miss.
DH says "Okay, whatever you think is best for the kids, but what about universal?"
DS says JURASSIC WORLD MINIONS SPIDERMAN HARRY POTTER OMG
Then I looked at ditching the mouse entirely and doing express passes at UO and doing whatever we want whenever we want and then just booking a poly or GF late dinner to see fireworks. But then we will miss Toy Story, rides that my 18m old can actually experience, Pandora, etc. And the next time we come would prob be in 3 years, and by then, will DS even like the mouse anymore?

So, I was thinking of doing a split stay. 4 nights at poly, 3 at royal pacific. We hadn't really planned to do anything on our travel days because we did that last time and it ruined our magic kingdom experience entirely. Meltdowns from DS and subsequently DH. So we would have 6 actual days. Legoland is a must (sadly).

Is that crazy with a toddler? Better ideas? We live in VA, so the flight isn't terrible, but we don't go a ton because of school schedules, living near busch gardens and the beach, etc. Would love any suggestions.

Last edited:
I think your split stay sounds like a good idea. You have two big US/IOA fans it sounds like (sadly - hahaha!) so doing a split stay seems like everyone would be happy and get a good amount of time doing something they love. I think the day where you move to the other resort could be a low key day for doing something like the character breakfast at the Poly, etc. It would give you 3 days at each park. If DH and DS prefer US/IOA over Disney perhaps they can just do two days at Disney and do the Lego day on the 3rd day - you and the toddler can have a Disney day to yourselves. I guess me personally - I'd have to spend some time at WDW if I was in Orlando - and not all the time over at US/IOA because I enjoy Disney so much more. And I agree that there should be more there for the toddler and your son is also fairly young so it's really excellent for him also. You won't see it all but you can do some highlights.

When my kids were little in this situation I'd sometimes back one bag for the first half of the trip and one for the 2nd (clothes wise) and I'd use a ziploc to put their outfit together (top/bottom, underwear, socks) so I just had to grab it or hand it to DH or to them if they were old enough. YMMV!

I can see doing the move on the day the boys go to Legoland, actually. Have them pack their stuff, send them off, and then have them dropped off at new hotel... but that requires figuring out how to get them to Legoland from Disney and then back from there to Universal! Ah!

Not sure how far Legoland is from wdw/UO, but either Uber or rent a car at wdw then drop off at UO. Just double check if they are the same rental agencies at each.

I think a split stay makes sense in this case and can work ok as long as you're organized. I wouldn't abandon disney entirely unless it were a short trip. Yes universal has some things for young kids, but really the options are limited especially if you're talking a week long trip. I think a split stay will be a good way to balance both your son and your daughter's interests. And if your son doesn't remember his first trip to disney he really doesn't have anything to base his opinions on. My friend took her 10 year old son for the first time and he loved it. Maybe your son thinks its just all about princesses and little kid stuff.

Sounds like a pretty good plan to do both. I would recommend Cabana Bay over Royal Pacific though of a baby cave is a must; RP rooms are just rooms. You’d probably want to buy Express Pass. Just rent a car so the boys can drop you girls off at your Uni hotel and go to Legoland—it’s a solid 30 minute drive. And you’d have a cool place to bowl, do the lazy river, etc when your DH is tired of the parks. I love RP but we’re doing CB next trip for these same reasons (except Legoland LOL).

Having been with my 18month grandson at the time, I found he was not interested in many rides. He loved characters and to simply play. We had a much slower pace and found we chucked most of our fast passes as he didn't care for rides other than dumbo. It was wonderful but now he is 5 years old I can see a major difference. If I were you I would cater to the interests of the 5 year old and your husband. The little one will enjoy just being with you but he will probably not care where he is.

these are all great tips, thanks so much.

RE: RPR, we had looked at the Jurassic Park rooms for a baby cave. Cabana Bay didn't seem worth it to me since you still have to bus to UOR and IOA?

update: now i have cancelled the booked disney trip and booked a southwest package (fully refundable) for 7 nights in a jurassic park suite (2 BR) at royal pacific. But I'm having major disney FOMO. The main problem is that my husband and I like opposite vacations, I think. I like to go go go and he would be happy to rent movies and have room service the entire time.
Every time I go to book a split stay I'm shocked by how dang expensive that gets. I mean, dang.

another update: decided 7n was too long for the 18 mo old (we haven't tested it, just short weekend trips so far which always stink because just as she gets used to the new place we leave), did 5n at JP ste instead. will do a disney villains party and disney springs for dis flavor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter