• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Split-stay trip from UK - LA / SF / Orlando - madness or not?

andrewilley

GNU Terry Pratchett
OK, so here's my current thoughts for August 2014 - in our school holidays, so was expecting steep prices. Currently I can book all the flights for these dates for £1,144/person with United. But does it sound doable/sensible?
  • Fly from Birmingham UK (via Newark) to Los Angeles on 13 Aug, landing at 6pm in LA.
  • Staying at Disneyland, so early entry for the parks for the first few days while we're still on UK-time.
  • Stop in LA area for four full days, and then drive up to SF on the fifth day (18th Aug - all day drive, plus maybe an overnight stopover?).
  • Spend another two full days (or a bit less if we stopover during the drive) in SF and then fly to Orlando at 10am on 21 Aug.
  • Spend nine full days at WDW (wish it could be more, but need to be reasonable for work) and fly home on 31 Aug.
So, what thoughts? Should we maybe skip the SF part and just do LA/WDW?

Need to book in next few days anyway, before the international prices start creeping up.

Andre

My personal thoughts.

1. Sounds like a wonderful trip!

2. Orlando will be miserably hot in August. Are you sure you can't do it at another time of year? If not, I'd spend a little less time in Orlando and a little more time on the west coast. Of course, that may be my west coast bias showing.

3. The drive up the coast through Big Sur on Highway 1 is one of the most beautiful in the world. Don't cut it short. That said, it's perfectly doable in one day. But there's also an argument to be made to stop for the night in San Simeon to do Hearst Castle; and another night in Monterey, because it has so many beautiful sights. Personally, I'd spend those two nights along the way, plus another two in San Francisco; taking the difference out of your Orlando stay.

Have fun!

-Bob

Yeah, Orlando is very hot in August but as regular visitors we're used to it by now. To be honest, if anything we'd push more towards more WDW time and trim down the drive time in CA (as pretty as I know it is, we've got a 13-year old with us. LOL). We're also meeting friends there.

We'd ideally want to spend about 3 days at Disneyland, plus another day for LA generally (Hollywood, shopping, etc), which we might split into part-days as we never do full "dawn-to-fireworks" days at the parks.

SF was added more "because it's there" (and prettier and more interesting than LA in itself) and the drive up the coast is meant to be great too.

Andre

Perfectly doable! I would actually prefer the heat in WDW to the cold summer of San Francisco!

Your 13 year old may enjoy Santa Cruz beach boardwalk (I find it crowded and a bit of a tourist trap and the water is waaaay too cold, but my kids like it and my dd says the waits were only 5 minutes, unlike Disneyland lol!), Monterey Bay Aquarium and, of course, the wharf at San Francisco. Also, China Town is neat. If your 13 yr old is into science, the Exploratorium is fantastic.

We love road trips, so I vote the trip stays as you have it.

Your trip sounds wonderful! I do believe that your 13-year-old would enjoy the California 'gems'. A stop at Monterey Bay Aquarium is a definite must-see (it's fantastic!), as is a visit to San Francisco. The drive up the coast will be well worth the time, and quite memorable. Hopefully you can fit these in to your itinerary! :wave2:

Sounds like a standard trip to me. :thumbsup2

Yes, it is perfectly doable. I would add extra nights driving up the coast so that you can enjoy it there. If you've spent the money heading that way, you might as well enjoy the best of what there is. San Simeon and Hearst Castle; and around Monterey Bay. There is a lot to natural beauty to see at Santa Cruz; rather than just the Boardwalk.

My DS is 13 and we take him to SF very regularly. He loves it....there is so much to do and see.

I know it's not what you plan on but I would also recommend cutting time out of Orlando and spending the extra time in California. Afterall, it is probably easier and cheaper for you to head to Orlando from the UK than it is to head towards the West Coast.

Spend more time on the drive from LA to SF and less time in LA and Orlando.
This summer, we did LA to SF and LA was our least favorite part of the trip, and this included my 11 year old son and 7 year old daughter.

We stayed over in Pismo Beach for 2 nights, which we LOVED. Really, really beautiful area. We then drove to Monterey which was the most amazing scenery.... and stayed overnight 1 night after going to Aquarium (a must see imo). Along the drive we stopped at the Elephant Seal Rookery and McWay Falls. The drive requires you to take your time. Your 13 year old WILL appreciate it. :)

We wished we had more time in SF because it's such an amazing city!!!!!!! There's Alcatraz, Fisherman's Wharf, Golden Gate Bridge, Muir Woods, basic site seeing in the city, etc. Really awesome city!!!! I left there wishing we could move there!

Have you been to LA before? It's just not that great... I think it's pretty dirty and crowded and dog crap everywhere!:sad2: We did hiking at Runyon Canyon, The Grove, Hollywood boulevard, Venice Beach, Santa Monica Pier.

I'd skip LA and spent some time in Carmel, Monterey and Santa Cruz on the way to SF. We did the big route 1 road trip a few years ago and it was great but we hated LA

I'd skip LA and spent some time in Carmel, Monterey and Santa Cruz on the way to SF. We did the big route 1 road trip a few years ago and it was great but we hated LA

The LA time is mostly for Disneyland (we'll be staying onsite) which I've done once before but the family haven't. We won't do much else there apart from maybe a day for Hollywood and some shopping (DD has a few shops she's found online that she wants to hunt out).

I've already worked out that we need to make an overnight stop during the drive up, so I'm currently thinking of leaving Disneyland in the morning, driving up past the Hollywood sign (just so we can say we've seen it) and then take the 101 and up the coastal road. Want to stop somewhere half-way (any suggestions? Sea view if possible, but we only need beds for the night) then set off the next morning to complete the drive and get to SF mid/late afternoon to check into a hotel (again, suggestions?) and do some evening sight-seeing and shopping (depending on time). Then have one full day in SF before flying to Orlando the following morning.

The flights are booked (arrive LA at 6pm on Weds 13 Aug, depart SF at 10am on Thurs 21 Aug) but in between is more flexible. I had thought of driving up on the Monday and Tuesday. We would like to see the wonderful scenery on the drive up, but keeping break stops mostly to the 30mins/1 hour sightseeing variety rather than half-day visits to anywhere specific.

Personally I might have trimmed a couple more days off Orlando, but the others won't hear of it (and we're meeting my DW's sister there too, she and her BF are flying direct to Orlando and not doing the west coast at all).

Andre

The LA time is mostly for Disneyland (we'll be staying onsite) which I've done once before but the family haven't. We won't do much else there apart from maybe a day for Hollywood and some shopping (DD has a few shops she's found online that she wants to hunt out).

I've already worked out that we need to make an overnight stop during the drive up, so I'm currently thinking of leaving Disneyland in the morning, driving up past the Hollywood sign (just so we can say we've seen it) and then take the 101 and up the coastal road. Want to stop somewhere half-way (any suggestions? Sea view if possible, but we only need beds for the night) then set off the next morning to complete the drive and get to SF mid/late afternoon to check into a hotel (again, suggestions?) and do some evening sight-seeing and shopping (depending on time). Then have one full day in SF before flying to Orlando the following morning.

The flights are booked (arrive LA at 6pm on Weds 13 Aug, depart SF at 10am on Thurs 21 Aug) but in between is more flexible. I had thought of driving up on the Monday and Tuesday. We would like to see the wonderful scenery on the drive up, but keeping break stops mostly to the 30mins/1 hour sightseeing variety rather than half-day visits to anywhere specific.

Personally I might have trimmed a couple more days off Orlando, but the others won't hear of it (and we're meeting my DW's sister there too, she and her BF are flying direct to Orlando and not doing the west coast at all).

Andre

What's your budget for accommodation?

If you are stopping "half-way", San Simeon comes to mind. There isn't much to choose from there; but it is further along than Pismo Beach, which is the other location that people tend to stop at. I haven't stayed at San Simeon in a number of years as we tend to stop at Solvang and then hit Monterey for the second night; so I don't have any recommendations for accommodation.

Pismo Beach is quite nice. It has one of those quintessential California long wooden piers on the beach (no shops!); so if you haven't visited one down near Anaheim, it might be worth a little detour; if that's what your family wants to see.

One of the Elephant Seal rookery can be found at Piedras Blancas; which is just a little way up the coast from San Simeon. I'm not sure if they will be there in abundance August; November onwards is usually a better time of year to catch them. But the beach is right by PH1; so you can make a quick stop or take a look if there is a large number there.
The other that I'm aware of is near Santa Cruz at Ano Nuevo. It is a longer walk to get to the rookery from Ano Nuevo so I would recommend trying to see if they are out and about at Piedras Blancas instead.

I also second the stop at McWay Fall. It's a short walk from Julia Pfeiffer State park; closer towards Big Sur. The waterfalls drops straight on to the beach.

Depending on your budget, there are any number of reasonable hotels (some of the big chains) in the downtown SF area or over in Fisherman's Wharf.

One other thing - if you are leaving Anaheim early in the morning, you could head to Hollywood Boulevard around where Grauman's Chinese Theatre is. Head to the Hollywood and Highland Centre and you'll see the Hollywood sign from there; get to see Grauman's and a bit of the Walk of Fame. Maybe you can do this on your Hollywood day and work out whether you still want to drive past the Hollywood sign.
If you are in the area; and you may already know this....one of the two Walt Disney stars are located a couple of blocks down towards El Cerrito Place.

Sounds like a lot of fun!

I'm live in the Bay Area, just outside of San Francisco, so I'm slightly biased. But it sounds like you have been to WDW before? I would personally spend a few more days in SF. Have you been here before? Our city is really unique and amazing. It IS cold in August, usually, but that's kind of part of our charm and a nice break leading into the sticky furnace that will be Orlando.

I do not like Fisherman's Wharf area, personally. With a teen who likes shopping, I'd stay in Union Square. Much better restaurants, better atmosphere, and still central to seeing sights. There's tons of great hotels there. I'd actually suggest using Priceline or hotels dot com and trying to get into one of the five star ones for cheaper.

Sites to see with a teen: Chinatown gate, Union Square, North Beach for pizza and Coit Tower, Ferry Building Marketplace to eat, Golden Gate Bridge, Marin headlands, Disney family museum, a Broadway show, Alcatraz, cable cars. There is just so much fun stuff to only spend a single day. But as much as we all love Disney, we like other stuff, too. If you want a strictly Disney trip, then maybe not so SF.

I've visited SF once, on a one-day flying trip from LA to visit the Walt Disney Family Museum. I flew early into SFO, took the BART into the city and from there a cab to the museum (was there 10 til 4, and I and saw the Golden Gate Bridge while there). Then, as I wanted to at least see SOMETHING else of SF, I took a cab to Fisherman's Wharf and spent a hour there before taking the cable car up to the Union Square area and then the BART back to the airport!

So technically I've been to San Francisco, but my feet didn't stay on the ground very long. And yes, it was a bit chilly having come from LA, that caught me by surprise a bit as the SF forecast was fairly warm for that day.

Andre

On our trips to San Francisco we have stayed in the Fishermans Wharf area. Yes it is very touristy but we found a couple of good restaurants. Plus it the harbor cruises & the ferry to Sausalito are nearby and the 2 main cable car lines have their turnarounds here..The F-line trolley line runs from here to the Ferry Market building (love lunch at Gott's) and downtown .
We like the Hyatt but there are other hotels in the area.
I recommend getting a hop on/off bus tour so you can see the city. The one we got last trip went over the Golden Gate bridge and out to Golden Gate park where there are some museums. It of course did Union Sq, a stop near Chinatown and the Painted Ladies houses.and other stops.
Depending on your plans if you can swing an extra night on the way north a stop in Monterry to see the aquarium and drive thru Peeble Beach is another option.

I would say take the time to see the Walt Disney Family Museum. It's a very nice Art Museum. If I had more time before my ABD trip, I would consider seeing San Francisco.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter