Split Stay Issues?

Golden Rose

Princess by Choice
We are DVC members who have a night waitlisted that probably won't come in at this point for our July trip to Disneyland, which means we are probably going to have to split our stay between the Grand Californian and the Disneyland Hotel. At WDW, they will move your bags for you and generally make it pretty easy. Will they do that in California as well, or do we need to transport our own luggage between the resorts?

Is it enough of a pain that we ought to just release the Grand Californian reservation and stay the whole time at the Disneyland Hotel?

We are DVC members who have a night waitlisted that probably won't come in at this point for our July trip to Disneyland, which means we are probably going to have to split our stay between the Grand Californian and the Disneyland Hotel. At WDW, they will move your bags for you and generally make it pretty easy. Will they do that in California as well, or do we need to transport our own luggage between the resorts?

Is it enough of a pain that we ought to just release the Grand Californian reservation and stay the whole time at the Disneyland Hotel?

My Niece and her family had a similar situation last month. The hotel moved their luggage but someone had to be in the room when the bags were picked up and in the new room when they were delivered. Only you know if this would be a pain for you. :)

We did a split stay for our November 2016 trip and it was great. We had driven down, so we had our car. On the day we moved hotels DH drove the car from GCH to DLH with all of our luggage while I took the kids and walked over to check in at DLH. The CM at check-in said we could talk to the bell desk about having are bags sent over, but they are not guaranteed until after 3. We always get our room early at DLH (we were checking in at 7 am) so we just took our own bags since we were hoping to be in the room and swimming by 1 (which we were).

My Niece and her family had a similar situation last month. The hotel moved their luggage but someone had to be in the room when the bags were picked up and in the new room when they were delivered. Only you know if this would be a pain for you. :)

We're used to that at WDW... I just hoped it was equally easy at Disneyland. I'm glad to know it is!

Yes, it's a bit of a pain, but probably worth it...

The hotel moved their luggage but someone had to be in the room when the bags were picked up and in the new room when they were delivered. Only you know if this would be a pain for you. :)

That’s the same as at WDW. Only time they’ll pick up from a room without you there is if you’ve paid for transfers to a DCL cruise, and the only time they’ll deliver to an empty room is if it’s coming from the airport with DME. (Some have been pixie dusted but not many)

So that’s no different from dl to Wdw.

It's also not far between the two. If you walked out the main GCH entrance you just have to cross the street to get to the DLH (that way you also avoid security checkpoints at Downtown Disney). So if you don't have many bags and you don't want to wait for bags to be delivered, that is also a good option.

It's also not far between the two. If you walked out the main GCH entrance you just have to cross the street to get to the DLH (that way you also avoid security checkpoints at Downtown Disney). So if you don't have many bags and you don't want to wait for bags to be delivered, that is also a good option.

Ooh, I hadn't thought about that. We have never stayed at the Disneyland Hotel before, only the Grand Californian, and I was initially really disappointed I couldn't book the whole stay at the Grand Californian. Now I'm looking forward to this!

Ooh, I hadn't thought about that. We have never stayed at the Disneyland Hotel before, only the Grand Californian, and I was initially really disappointed I couldn't book the whole stay at the Grand Californian. Now I'm looking forward to this!
The Disneyland hotel pool is also pretty awesome-monorail themed. And don’t forget about Trader Sams! Oh and the Disneyland Hotel headboards. I think you will love both!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!