SPIRIT AIRLINES

SandyinMonterey

DIS Veteran
I usually fly United but found airfare on Spirit Airlines for half the cost. It's about a two hour flight, and it's just me and my daughter (she's 13). I looked into Southwest but they were way too expensive, so was Delta. If anyone has a good/bad experience or opinion they'd like to share, it would be helpful. Thanks everyone.

I was terrified to use Spirit airlines based on reviews and commentary.

Now, I've booked them again for an upcoming trip. I absolutely loved that flight! That is the fastest I have ever boarded or left a plane- the fact that they charge for carry-ons beyond the 1 "personal item" really keeps the boarding/ exiting process moving. Our flight attendants were hilarious and really attentive (because they aren't up and down the aisle with a beverage/ snack cart the whole time). The plane was very clean. I was able to fit plenty into my personal item, and they do check before you get on the plane- it must fit into the bin they use to demonstrate the limit, or you must check it. The checked bag/ additional carry-on fees are not so terrible if you pay them ahead of time, but I pack as little as I possibly can so that wasn't necessary for me.

Now, I'm short so the lack of leg room didn't bother me but there IS a lack of leg room (you get maaaaaybe an inch more leg room on other airlines so this wasn't a deal breaker) and the seats are a little smaller than traditional airline seats but I didn't find this to be an issue. I'm not skinny but not quite Pooh-sized and I had enough room to be comfortable. DH is 5'9" and he fit comfortably. You can upgrade your seat to another row for some additional leg room.

My advice- determine how much luggage you'll need so you can pay up front and keep costs down. If you're tall, maybe spring for the extra legroom rows. Plan on getting your own snack/ drink at the airport if you'll need one for the flight (they do sell these on the plane as well).

My advice- determine how much luggage you'll need so you can pay up front and keep costs down. If you're tall, maybe spring for the extra legroom rows. Plan on getting your own snack/ drink at the airport if you'll need one for the flight (they do sell these on the plane as well).

This has been a major thing keeping us away from Spirit (that, and knowing they do not have priority takeoff at the runways, which can mean delayed departure if you fly out of a busy hub). Make sure you know exactly what they consider a "personal item", we are spoiled by the generous baggage policy at Southwest and for us it'd be impossible to travel with just a backpack/moderately sized tote. By the time we priced out the cost including a couple of carry-ons, the cost was higher than WGA fares with SW.

I have flown 2 times in the last 2 years with spirit. Flight on time no issues there. Staff was a little unprofessional ( heard flight attendants complaining cursing with each other etc..) but id still take the direct cheap flight again.

This has been a major thing keeping us away from Spirit (that, and knowing they do not have priority takeoff at the runways, which can mean delayed departure if you fly out of a busy hub). Make sure you know exactly what they consider a "personal item", we are spoiled by the generous baggage policy at Southwest and for us it'd be impossible to travel with just a backpack/moderately sized tote. By the time we priced out the cost including a couple of carry-ons, the cost was higher than WGA fares with SW.
This isn't a WDW trip but a trip to see my mother. So, I can pack lightly (one suitcase for me and my daughter to check). But I am worried about one personal item and what exactly that is. A purse? I use a CPAP and on United, medical equipment is exempt.

Yes, once you add a few more bags if you need them it can be as much or more than flying other airlines. We have found that DH, myself, and 3 kiddos can travel with 1 personal item each (the allowance is about the size of a standard diaper bag), and 1 checked bag (cheaper than an additional carry-on because overall Spirit's goal is to minimize boarding time), total. It really depends on how much you pack (and I am a notorious under-packer so it's easy for me to say, but I know others travel differently).

I haven't run into delays flying out (because I'm not flying out of a busy hub) but that's a good point to factor in as well, check flight delay history.

I was terrified to use Spirit airlines based on reviews and commentary.

Now, I've booked them again for an upcoming trip. I absolutely loved that flight! That is the fastest I have ever boarded or left a plane- the fact that they charge for carry-ons beyond the 1 "personal item" really keeps the boarding/ exiting process moving. Our flight attendants were hilarious and really attentive (because they aren't up and down the aisle with a beverage/ snack cart the whole time). The plane was very clean. I was able to fit plenty into my personal item, and they do check before you get on the plane- it must fit into the bin they use to demonstrate the limit, or you must check it. The checked bag/ additional carry-on fees are not so terrible if you pay them ahead of time, but I pack as little as I possibly can so that wasn't necessary for me.

Now, I'm short so the lack of leg room didn't bother me but there IS a lack of leg room (you get maaaaaybe an inch more leg room on other airlines so this wasn't a deal breaker) and the seats are a little smaller than traditional airline seats but I didn't find this to be an issue. I'm not skinny but not quite Pooh-sized and I had enough room to be comfortable. DH is 5'9" and he fit comfortably. You can upgrade your seat to another row for some additional leg room.

Is a 1 personal item considered a purse? I use and travel with a CPAP.

This isn't a WDW trip but a trip to see my mother. So, I can pack lightly (one suitcase for me and my daughter to check). But I am worried about one personal item and what exactly that is. A purse? I use a CPAP and on United, medical equipment is exempt.

The personal item size is 18x14x8 inches including handles and wheels. I have a standard size diaper bag and it easily fits the requirement with room to spare. Medical devices can be carried on free of charge, as long as there is nothing else in that bag with it (other than the parts and supplies, it can't also be holding more personal items) and it fits in the overhead compartment (so no larger than 22 x 18 x10 inches).

We use Spirit the majority of the time due to the great prices I've managed to get. Depending on length of stay 3 of us can check 1 bag (keep it under 40 lbs!) and then each carry on a personal item. My DH has an small rolling bag, my DD carries a backpack, and I have a large tote - all will fit under the seat, so no extra cost. Be sure to measure that it will fit because they do check them! The size is listed on the website - I believe its 18"x14"x8". Husband is 5'10" and says that for the length of the flight - 2 1/2 hours - the seats do not bother him. I am short so no problem for me. We tend to grab water and DD will usually get a snack at the airport. They do sell snacks and drinks on the plane. DH has purchased alcohol on the flight for us but I don't know what he paid.
I hear horror stories all the time and people say they would never fly Spirit, but honestly we have never had any issues.

Umm no one has priority take off at the runway. You taxi out and take off. If you call before someone else you're in front, if not your behind them, there is no priority based on airline. Unless you have an EDCT then you may be moved to the front of the line to make your time

Umm no one has priority take off at the runway. You taxi out and take off. If you call before someone else you're in front, if not your behind them, there is no priority based on airline. Unless you have an EDCT then you may be moved to the front of the line to make your time

That’s good to know - one of the things I had been told about Spirit was that their takeoffs could be delayed if major airlines were taking off around the same time. It doesn’t change the fact that the charges for any bag other than your personal bag makes them less financially attractive for me, but good to know!

I’ve had 3 Spirit flights in the past month with no issues.

We had a slight delay on one flight (the plane was late coming in from it’s previous stop) but we ended up arriving a few minutes earlier than the original time.

I think if you do your research on the luggage pricing and weight limits and such you should be ok. It seems like a lot of negativite reviews stem from people not knowing much about Spirit and just being surprised.

It’s like the All Stars Resorts of airlines. It’s cheaper but still nice enough- just don’t go in having Grand Floridian expectations.

Last edited:
When making a decision about an airline, it's wise to check the schedule. Doing that will help you understand what might happen if your flight is canceled. When a flight is canceled, a ultra-low-cost airline like Spirit will offer you two options.

First, they'll refund your money and let you find other transportation. That refund won't be instantaneous and you're going to have to by expensive same-day tickets on a different carrier. The second option will be to put you on the next available flight. Due to their smaller size and large number of destinations served, that next available flight might not be for a day, several days, or in rare occasions a week away.

In contrast, a larger airline like Southwest or Delta are far more likely to have multiple flights every day to a destination. That larger network means there's a greater combination of nonstop and one-stop flights with which to reroute passengers to get them to their destination.

Here are some statistics to illustrate the differences between the ultra-low-cost carriers and their much larger competitors. Ask yourself which airline you'd want to be flying if your flight gets canceled:

Ultra-Low-Cost US Airlines:
  • Allegiant: 121 destinations with 84 planes
  • Frontier: 104 destinations with 84 planes
  • Spirit: 72 destinations with 132 planes
Legacy/Low-Cost US Airlines:
  • Alaska: 116 destinations with 330 planes
  • American: 350 destinations with 962 planes (updated to fix typo)
  • Delta: 325 destinations with 887 planes
  • JetBlue: 102 destinations with 253 planes
  • Southwest: 99 destinations with 750 planes
  • United: 342 destinations with 763 planes
Data taken from Wikipedia on 2/19/19.

Given the numbers, it's much easier for the larger airlines to recover if one of their planes is out of commission or one of their pilots or cabin crew calls in sick.

In a way, this is about risk tolerance (as well as whether you have great travel insurance). Despite the fact that I live in Spirit's headquarters of Fort Lauderdale, I won't fly them because the risk of getting stranded due to a flight cancelation is higher than my risk tolerance. I'd rather pay more to completely avoid the ultra-low-cost airlines. Other people will have a different opinion.

Last edited:
I just booked a flight this week with southwest but was tempted by Spirit because it was $100 cheaper but I didn't do it because I think Sprint is not one of the Airlines that Disney lets you do Resort Airline check-in and I'm all about avoiding the lines at MCO Someone can correct me if I'm wrong?

I've flown Spirit to Florida (Orlando, Tampa and Fort Lauderdale) probably 8+ times in the last 3 years. I haven't been delayed more than 15 minutes ever. My ticket prices usually run $80-$120 round trip from Houston. Even if I check a bag at $40 round trip, no one else can come close usually. For my family of 4, for a trip lasting more than 3 days, we will share a checked bag. Otherwise I can pack in our personal items which is 18x14x8.

I have several bags that work well for that size. My daughter uses her old Pottery Barn Fairfax backpack - the large size is a perfect fit and can hold so much!! I also have 2 boarding blue bags that fit the Spirit dimensions. One is a rolling suitcase and the other is a over the shoulder soft bag. My fourth bag is an Ever Moda X-Large Tote bag from Amazon. Its the one with the zipper top and attached coin bag. It is also a perfect size, and holds a ton. I use that one for my daily work bag for my lunch, workout clothes, etc.

Yes, the planes are small, but its a short flight for us as well. My hubby is a big guy - 6'2", 350. Our 4 tickets are always on the same reservation and we never "buy" seats. When you check in on the same reservation, they will assign those seats consecutively...for example row 34, seats ABCD. He always sits with the kids so as to not "spill" over into anyone else's seat, and I take the single seat elsewhere. There was only one time where this is was not the case...that time we got for example, seats BC and then DE. So same row, but aisle and middle seat on each side. He took the aisle with one of our kids next to him in the middle. I'm small and only 5'1" so it works well for us.

Other times that he has flown Spirit solo (to Vegas and then also to a family wedding) he buys the big front seat so he has more room.

some pics of my packing - daughter with her backpack and our rolling personal suitcase.
I also use travel compression bags to reduce the space.

eCYUd4Y.jpg

O3Z8lop.jpg

n4b00kU.jpg

Last edited:
There are two things keeping me from flying Spirit for our upcoming trip: flight cancellations and rebookings, and flying with a 19 month old. But for the same price to fly standard economy on Delta from MSP to MCO, I can book flights, bags, and the big seats on Spirit. Decisions...decisions...

I think it's important to consider not only the airport you are flying to but the one you are leaving when considering an airline.

If you go to a search site such as Expedia you'll find the on time record for the flights and airline you are considering.
For LGA-MCO R/T, Spirit, has a poor on-time rating (an average of 4 out of 10) so I leave it alone but of course might be different from other airports.

I've flown Spirit a few times without any issues. However I would only do so if it was a nonstop and about 3 hours or under. I cant fathom a flight longer than that without wifi.

We flew with them once and won't do it again. While there were no issues with the flight, the seats are really tiny and uncomfortable. Once we were done paying all the fees, we could have flown on another airline much more comfortably for about the same price.

I have a co-worker who flies with them all the time. They own a condo in Florida so all she ever takes is her purse because she keeps a full set of clothes at her condo. In all the years of flying she's only had a her flights cancelled a couple of times, which again for her is no big deal because she has a place to stay until she can get the next flight out, which is usually within a couple of days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter