Spinoff thread: What's been cancelled for you?

My DGD11 had a lot of things cancelled on her.

5th grade graduation (enters middle school in fall)
Much of basketball season (she'll have to tryout for 6th grade team, next year)
Basketball camp (bone up on her shooting)
Regular summer camp
Neighborhood pool (MAY open up in a month)

Last summer, she had things scheduled nearly every week. This summer, nothing. My husband and I are flying her down to Texas to visit her aunt in July. Hoping that doesn't get cancelled.
DS9 and DS13 had all of their camps canceled too. I've found some online camps and classes that I've signed them up for. It's not the same as going to camp but they've liked what they've done so far. If you want to know what we've done message me.

My DGD11 had a lot of things cancelled on her.

5th grade graduation (enters middle school in fall)
Much of basketball season (she'll have to tryout for 6th grade team, next year)
Basketball camp (bone up on her shooting)
Regular summer camp
Neighborhood pool (MAY open up in a month)

Last summer, she had things scheduled nearly every week. This summer, nothing. My husband and I are flying her down to Texas to visit her aunt in July. Hoping that doesn't get cancelled.
My DD11 is pretty much in the same boat as your DGD11.

if we all listed what we've had to cancel. Here's my list:
RV trip in March
RV trip in May
RV trip to Mammoth Lakes
2 month RV trip to Canada
River cruise in Europe to see the tulips
Sea of Cortes cruise
Baker to Vegas challenge (staff)
Las Vegas trip
Birthday for son
doctor's appointment
Visiting MIL in senior residential home

Youngest son's high school graduation and being starting catcher on the baseball team
Same son's 18th birthday celebration
Both sons missing the end of their in person school year experience
Both sons missing out on being camp counselors at their sleep away camp.
Disney trip canceled for August.
Portugal trip
In person college orientation that was scheduled for June.

I feel so bad for all of the high school and college seniors who had graduation ceremonies cancelled. I know my DD was planning to attend a couple of weddings this summer that were postponed. Those are big deals.

For us, DH had a 2 week dive trip to the Philippines in May cancelled. He had been planning this for 2 years. I was planning on a solo Disney/Universal trip at the same time.

A large family reunion in early July which was also to be a memorial service for mother-in-law who passed away last year. Too many people had to travel across the country and between Covid worries and airline changes/cancellation, became not worth it this year. At least our VRBO was fully refundable, I am still working to change the air reservations I had booked for my kids. Hoping I can change them to December so they can come home for Christmas. Hoping travel is OK by December. The Alaska airline flight I booked for DS in Dec still had all the middle seats blocked off.

Summer things - outdoor concerts the county puts on, arts festivals we frequent, short trip to Canada, so many of the things that make summer special. 2020 will be the lost year in many ways, but we are maintaining our physical health if not our mental/emotional health.

3 touring theatre productions so far (Finding Neverland, Wicked and Chicago). I got the annual subscription.
Kid’s band trips
SIL wedding reception ( they had a wedding with only witnesses)
Disneyland trip in August will be postponed until next year.
Dentist appointments.

April vacation and Easter pickoff sharks teeth in manasota.
Middle and HS for my younger 2
Freshman year for my oldest in college
8th grade graduation for my youngest (plus fun activities for her end of year)
college tour in April in Daytona.

Really not too much but enough.

Nothing yet. Other than commuting to work since I have been working from home since March 20.
We were in Phoenix on vacation at Spring Training and our last day was the day MLB canceled Spring Training, however our last game that day was rained out about 3 hours before the cancellation.

I was lucky enough to get to Disney for the F&G Festival the 1st week of March. I bought a surprise for my grandson that turned out to be a waste of money.

Grandson # 3's school show where he had the lead as Aladdin and the wasted money was for a Fez as part of his costume.

Grandson #6's 5th Birthday
Grandson # 3's 14 Birthday
Nephew's 9th Birthday
Grandson # 3's 8th grade graduation, and getting him to that point has been a journey with issues. He also missed all of the festivities that went along with it: picnic, class trip, dinner and dance, etc. He was really looking forward to them. I felt bad for him over everything he missed.
Grandson # 5's kindergarten "graduation"
Grandson # 6 and nephews Preschool graduation

Easter
Mother's Day
Memorial Day at my son's but he is celebrating today and sending food our way so it's almost as good as being there.

A couple of dr.'s appointments for my husband early on. He is in the high risk category and I wasn't taking chances.

BASEBALL We live for Baseball season in my house and I try to never miss a grandchild's game. So far it has been postponed but we would be wrapping up the season in another week or 2 so not sure it will happen. This one again hurts for my grandsons as they love to play ball.

The big Cancellation was our Alaskan cruise. This has been my husband's dream trip and after he had 2 strokes a few years ago we weren't sure that it would ever happen. The cruise line cancelled it. On the positive side we are hoping to reschedule next year, which was my original plan. We can celebrate our 40th Anniversary on the cruise instead as long as life is back to some kind of normal.

The once in a lifetime misses were the ones that bothered me more than anything. Everything else is just a blip on the radar and can always be done at another time.

- Lots of musicals (so far 7 that I had tickets for plus many others that I would have booked).
- My driving lessons plus driving tests have been suspended, so getting my licence has been pushed back.
- Seeing extended family, including family from the UK who we rarely get to see.
- My cousin and his family (including his daughter who we’ve never met) probably won’t make it out here from Uganda for Christmas and their plans to move back here may be postponed too (his daughter now has an Australian passport but they have to go to Kenya to collect it, which is impossible when they’re barely allowed out of the house).
- Not me, but my sister had a big trip planned for next month. She did the DCP in 2017 and hasn’t seen her American friends since and was going to Disneyland and WDW and then travelling to the UK and Paris with one of her best friends. It now looks like international travel from Australia will be off for the next couple of years.

I doubt there's any of us who haven't lost opportunities.

My long awaited Hawaii vacation (first big vacation in four years) We were literally packing when things started to explode and cancelled one day ahead of leaving.

My part time employment

However, the most important thing that is cancelled is my parent's ability to see each other (They are in separate buildings in a senior living facility) and our ability to see either of them.

Last edited:
The dance show my kids and I were participating in.
Awanas for my oldest and youngest.
Co-op and the big presentation at end of semester. My dance class was performing.
My Alanis Morissette concert
Any plans for my 40th birthday
Summer Day Camp for the kids
Camping trip with my family
Swim lessons for my kids
The rest of our homeschooling semester. Our curriculum is literature based and I get a lot of supplements from the library. I had to give up as I couldn't afford to keep buying extra books.

Sons college graduation (nursing)
Son's graduation from Army Basic Training (him coming home-he got stuck due to travel ban)
Three Disney Trips( kept rescheduling)
Trip to Maui and Aulani (to celebrate graduations)
Work.School

I had two out of town races and multiple local races cancelled.
A guy's weekend
Our summer vacation
Daycare so both my wife and I have to work from home while taking care of a 3 year old.
Pretty much all of the city sanctioned things we do in the summer like outdoor movies, festivals, holiday celebrations.
We had to basically delay my grandma's funeral. Immediate family gathered at the graveside all standing apart but we had no funeral or viewing.
4 or 5 concerts.

My grandmother passed in early April and though she's been cremated we have delayed a memorial/funeral for now. I hate not being able to be with my loved ones right now. My condolences to you and yours.

4 birthdays but we would have done one celebration for all of those

Work, sort of. They laid everybody off in early May but I was slated to retire in late May so I just went early.

Our first trip to Europe! Really sad about that one.

My partner works in the airline industry and had received a great promotion that would have moved us home to Chicago after spending a few years away on a work assignment. We were supposed to be moving back in to our condo which we were were renting out while we were temporarily relocated. Our move in date was supposed to be right when the lockdowns happened. The promotion was cancelled and my partner was actually furloughed with no real date given as to when he might get his job back. We had to scramble to find another apartment to quickly move into as quarantine was looming. It's been really heartbreaking as we've been working so hard to go back home to Chicago and it seemed like everything was lining up in our favor and now we've spiraled so far from our goal. In some bittersweet news, we've made the decision to list our condo as it doesn't seem like we'll be making it back home any time soon.

Most of the things that have been cancelled affect my children the most, lots of good experiences they are missing out on:

- March break trip to WDW cancelled
- Plans to go to Atlantis Bahamas for our first time in Dec. will likely be cancelled
- Swim meets and all practices cancelled since pools are all closed (both kids)
- Grade 8 grad trip to New York cancelled
- Grade 8 graduation ceremony and party cancelled
- School concert band trips, performances and competitions cancelled
- Daughter was hired for her first summer job as a camp counsellor. All summer camps are cancelled. I hope they consider her for next year.
- Son interviewed successfully and was supposed to begin volunteering at the pool and also help with summer camps
- Daughter’s driving lessons never had the chance to start...

Cancelled ...
Trip to Atlantic City in March during the first few days of the NCAA Basketball Tournament ( that was also cancelled)
Annual extended family party on Memorial Day Weekend

Postponed..
Dinner celebrating DH's retirement ( he put in his notice in January before everything exploded) & some daytrips we planned now that we are both retired.
Family wedding at the Jersey shore.
Cousins visiting from Out of State.

Scattering my dad's ashes.
My birthday.
Taking my newly-widowed mom to Disney (or, frankly, anywhere) for Mother's Day.
My anniversary dinner.

Oh, and my husband's entire job. He's a filmmaker, had ten weddings cancel, as well as four commercial jobs and two graduation. Literally his entire business went up in smoke. It remains to be seen if it will recover.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter