SPINOFF: Charities at the Check-Out Counter

Clerks are typically required by their employer to say or push things at the register. They are fine (and probably relieved) to hear you say no thanks.

The ones I cannot tolerate are the charities who are at the front door harassing you when you walk in. It's annoying. "Do you care about homelessness?" "Have a minute to save a life?" These are actual things they have said as we entered the store.
Yes! Those are the ones that bug me too. They seem to always be there when I’m in a hurry trying to just run in & out the grocery store!

The one the gets me a lot is Petsmart. "Donate to save homeless pets?" and there is a picture of a kitten or a puppy on the screen. They may as well, lower the lights and start playing that Sarah McLaughlin song. I shop there a lot, so I don't do it every time (but often). I also find St. Jude to be a very worthy cause (I'm in Memphis) but I totally get that you can't do it every time. I am never embarrassed to say no.

Around here at Petsmart the pin pad asks if you'd like to make a donation, but doesn't have a photo of a puppy or kitten on the screen. Instead there is a separate cash donation canister at the register with the photo.

I almost always donate a dollar at Petsmart. Obtained my cat there in association with the local animal shelter.

I don't mind being asked; if I'm not interested I have no problem saying no. I can't recall a cashier being pushy about it.

As a retail employee, sorry. Most often, we don't have a choice but to ask. At the company I work for, we have at least 4-5 different collections throughout the year. We're required to ask every single customer, and they track how many donations each register gets. If your number is low, you get questioned as to why. "Are you sure you're asking EVER customer? What are you saying exactly? Try telling them this this and that". I just transferred to a new location and they don't seem as militant, but my last store was just relentless about it. I hate it.

That said, I actually don't mind being asked. I just really dislike doing the asking. It's awkward.

As a retail employee, sorry. Most often, we don't have a choice but to ask. At the company I work for, we have at least 4-5 different collections throughout the year. We're required to ask every single customer, and they track how many donations each register gets. If your number is low, you get questioned as to why. "Are you sure you're asking EVER customer? What are you saying exactly? Try telling them this this and that". I just transferred to a new location and they don't seem as militant, but my last store was just relentless about it. I hate it.

That said, I actually don't mind being asked. I just really dislike doing the asking. It's awkward.
That's understandable. May I ask how most people respond? I imagine not every customer donates, but are you actually given a hard time over it?

I donated when Safeway was raising money for the fire victims in California this summer. I also donated to the Food Bank that Raley's works with this Holiday season. Most of the time I don't donate.

This is what makes me think the companies who do this must be doing it in order to write it off of their taxes. And how do we know the store is giving 100% of the donations to the charity? Do they take out an operating expense for themselves like most charities do (which I understand, but some have some pretty high expenses).

And how do we know the store is giving 100% of the donations to the charity?

They probably don't - maybe the charity allows the store/chain to retain 10% (or 1% or 20% or whatever) and considers that an advertising expense.

I don’t mind them asking. I have no problem say “no thank you” if I don’t wish to donate. I didn’t recall anyone ever continuing to push after I said no thank you but if someone did I’d probably say “I already said no thank you. Asking again won’t change my response”.

As far as them needing all my information if I’m paying cash, that doesn’t happen either because they’re only looking for it to send or email me advertisements. If I was told it was
“Store policy” the store would lose a sale and I’d buy my item elsewhere.

As far as chatty cashiers, there’s one lady at my local grocery store who’s like that...will go as far as flipping through a magazine if there’s something on the cover that catches her eye! She’s really seeet though and for some reason it’s not annoying even though it probably should be. I guess I’m getting old because I’m starting to miss the “social niceties” we used to have before everyone had their nose in s phone.

I usually shop with Dd. At the register we are usually talking so as the employee is ringing things up, they can ask away. I say "no thanks" and go back to our conversation. Half the time I am not 100% sure what they asked! Dh swears some day they are going to offer my purchases for free and I am going to say "no thanks" lol.

If they get pushy, I don't notice.

I just don't give to any of them. I choose who I want to give to and how and rarely is it at a cash register.

That's understandable. May I ask how most people respond? I imagine not every customer donates, but are you actually given a hard time over it?

It's a pretty even draw between 1) no thank you/not today/etc, 2) I did last time/already made my donations for the year, or 3) totally ignoring that i've asked them anything at all. Very occasionally someone says yes.

It's a pretty even draw between 1) no thank you/not today/etc, 2) I did last time/already made my donations for the year, or 3) totally ignoring that i've asked them anything at all. Very occasionally someone says yes.
FWIW, the invitation to donate is totally preferable to shilling for credit card applications, to me anyway. I know that’s also a requirement of cashiers.

Maybe, but I'm kind of mystified by that. :confused3 Why be annoyed by a simple question when all you have to do is say "no thanks"? We've had similar discussions here on the DIS about people receiving requests to fund different things and there are always people who say it offends them. We get lots of solicitations from lots of different sources - some of which are for causes we're totally against. But even those only take a second to decline - no harm, no foul.

Why be annoyed about anything then? :)

We're all annoyed by something.

For some it's being asked in the check-out line to donate to this or that.

Reminds me of my experience at Younker's department store last weekend. I was paying for my purchases in cash. The line was long and the woman directly ahead of me was particularly annoying with her behavior while waiting in the line so I was already irritated. It was finally my turn and she rang up my purchases and I handed her cash. She then pointed at the little box where you sign for checks or credit card and said "it's going to ask you some questions." No. I'm paying cash. I just want to pay and go. She seemed a little surprised that I wouldn't take the time to read/answer the questions but good grief why does everything have to be such a process these days? :)

I'm surprised by the reports of overly chatty cashiers commenting about items being purchased. Don't most places these days, especially large chains, record cashier scan rates and discipline those who are too slow?

I'm surprised by the reports of overly chatty cashiers commenting about items being purchased. Don't most places these days, especially large chains, record cashier scan rates and discipline those who are too slow?
Every few weeks I'll need to run to Shop Rite in the morning and at that time their self scan is not operating. There is a cashier that works the under 20 items line (which is what I'll go on) and boy can she comment on what people buy. Every single time. She is very nice and friendly but she always will talk about my purchases.

I know Target does. The cashiers have a little running tally on their registers about how long they are spending one each transaction.

There is one older lady that is a cashier at the Kroger I go to and she is so chatty - she wants to talk about each thing you are buying and whether it is good or not, etc. I always try to make sure I don't get in her lane. I usually try to find a lane manned by a teenager - they don't chit chat and are generally really quick.

I do mind cashiers asking at pet stores, and that's only because you also get 'asked' by the credit card machine too. So I have to say no to the cashier, and mark 'no' again on the machine.

I don't like the charity at the checkout thing and always say no. I hate that the cashier asks me, but I know that they are required to do so by the store.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter