SPINOFF: Charities at the Check-Out Counter

Depends what it is. The grocery store where I shop donates meals for the holidays. You can buy a 'bag' which equates to a whole meal for a family in the area. The store cooks and prepares all the meals, wraps them, and delivers them to families in the area who otherwise couldn't afford a nice meal. I did buy a bag for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

If they were being pushy or it was something I didn't feel passionate for, I wouldn't donate. I don't usually donate to the ones where they as you to donate a dollar or two to some random charity at the very end of your checkout.

Clerks are typically required by their employer to say or push things at the register. They are fine (and probably relieved) to hear you say no thanks.

I hated this when I worked retail. We had a number of things we were supposed to push at the customer, opening a store credit card, donating money, etc. I always felt like I was 1) annoying the customer trying to force something on them they didn’t want and 2) holding up the line going through my spiel.

I tried to judge the customer and say whatever I had to as quickly as I could. If they didn’t seem interested I was happy to move on, but if there was a manager within hearing distance, I was forced to do the whole thing. We would get absolutely beat down if we didn’t. They’d even write you up if they caught you not asking the customer. I was a really shy teenager. I hated it probably more than the customers did.

On the other hand, a quick do you want to round up, doesn’t bother me at all. I figure I can do that easily, and if each person just gives a tiny bit, it goes a long way for that organization. I don’t donate to get brownie points, or so I can write it off on my taxes. I don’t think that’s the right motivation for giving. I do it because I want to. There are certain organizations I care about I will give a larger donation to throughout the year, not through a store, but direct, so it doesn’t bother me to give these smaller amounts to places I wouldn’t make a larger donation to.

The only time I’ve ever contributed a larger amount at a store is when the local bookstore asks us to buy a book to donate. Reading is something I’m passionate about, and I like the idea of that and am happy to do it. They are always donating Dr Seus books, and they let you pick out the specific one you want to give.

But I enjoy volunteer work and working with aid organizations. I was an Americorps member when I was younger, and I’ve seen how donations, especially to grassroots organizations can really help. I’ve also worked with many different nonprofits over the years, and even at my current job, I am in charge of our donations which is a part of my job I really enjoy. Also, my sister is an aid worker in Central America, and I’ve seen her struggle to get donations to fund her work. So I’m probably not the average person being asked.

Why feel bad? Just say no. If they push farther than that, I simply stare at them in silence until they are done talking, then take my change and leave. I don't feel the need to justify my charitable donations, explain that I have already made several over the last few weeks, or apologize if I simply don't want to donate.

I went to the Walmart market up the road from my house. I had an almost full cart of food/house stuff (about $150 worth). She had a line 5 deep when I walked up front, and I used the self-checkout. I used the register that's right next to hers. I was able to scan my whole cart in the time it took her to do 2 orders of less than 10 items each (one had 4 or 5 items, the other a few more). She was scanning so slow, and commenting on each thing.

There is one cashier at my local Walmart who feels the need to comment on almost everything you buy, and I hate that. One time she was even talking about how old she was when she started her period to the customer ahead of me, the customer told her how old she was too and they were just chatting all about that sort of thing as she rung up her groceries. When she finally finished with that customer she wanted to continue that conversation with me, no thanks! Geez! I thought it was very weird, and I try to avoid her line if at all possible. I want a cashier to be polite but please, just get the job done so I can be on my way, we don't need to chat like we're good friends. :)

As for the OP's question, I don't mind being asked about donating to a charity, most times I just say "no, thank you, not today" and that's the end of it. If they got pushy I wouldn't like that. I don't like the ones that are outside the store, asking for donations for this or that charity. I really don't trust them most of the time. They can say they're collecting for a certain charity and then just pocket the money. I won't donate to them. If I want to donate to that particular charity I will send them a check.

The one the gets me a lot is Petsmart. "Donate to save homeless pets?" and there is a picture of a kitten or a puppy on the screen. They may as well, lower the lights and start playing that Sarah McLaughlin song. I shop there a lot, so I don't do it every time (but often). I also find St. Jude to be a very worthy cause (I'm in Memphis) but I totally get that you can't do it every time. I am never embarrassed to say no.

The one the gets me a lot is Petsmart. "Donate to save homeless pets?" and there is a picture of a kitten or a puppy on the screen. They may as well, lower the lights and start playing that Sarah McLaughlin song. I shop there a lot, so I don't do it every time (but often). I also find St. Jude to be a very worthy cause (I'm in Memphis) but I totally get that you can't do it every time. I am never embarrassed to say no.
I was going to mention Petsmart earlier. Most often I do online ordering with in-store pick up now so I don't actually check out at the register. My local Petsmarts though aren't pushy about it and as much as I would like to donate I would first do it to the multiple no-kill shelters here in my area instead of just to Petsmart. I do give Petsmart kudos though since they do host adoption events partnered with local shelters.

I was going to mention Petsmart earlier. Most often I do online ordering with in-store pick up now so I don't actually check out at the register. My local Petsmarts though aren't pushy about it and as much as I would like to donate I would first do it to the multiple no-kill shelters here in my area instead of just to Petsmart. I do give Petsmart kudos though since they do host adoption events partnered with local shelters.

I adopted my kitty through Petsamrt from the Humane Society. Sometimes I do the donation, but I can't just do it every single time I'm in there. Still, I have a soft spot for the animals. They are not pushy about it at Petsmart, it's easy enough to skip.

In 2010 when my wife and I got married we went shopping with our wedding money and one store we went to did that for a thing called the Sunshine Foundation, it's like make a wish but Canadian and also includes children with severe disabilities as well as those with terminal conditions. In the line they have a small tv that shows a video of what they do and shows some kids on their trips or adventures, all tasteful and fine but the guy in front of us is not having it, he is getting visibly agitated and tuning red. When he gets up to the front he starts unloading on the csr, who buy the way was a new Canadian with very limited english but enough to do her job. He's into how dare he have to watch that video about sick kids why he's in line and why they need his money and if they love charities so much then why don't they donate to his charity and the csr had no idea what to do, I stepped over and told him in some words that he needs to stop what he's doing, pay for his turkey roaster and leave the store, he started getting racist to me but at least he was done with the csr, finally he finished paying and left the store but not without cursing and yelling the whole way out, seemed like a odd reaction to me.

My usual grocery stores, WalMart and some of the other places I shop all have their own charitable foundations that give to local causes - non-controversial and mostly focused on kids. The dontation is mostly only ever a buck or two; I always say yes. The grocery store was doing a $10 one this weekend for a pre-packaged meal kit being donated to the food bank. I bought one but won't buy another if they ask me again.

When it's thanksgiving or christmas season our local grocer has pre-packaged meal bags ranging from $5-25 and have them on shelves behind the registers but they never make a big deal about asking to buy one but they move units. I'm sure if they asked everyone who came through to buy one they would sell more but i'm sure it would also piss some people off. I like to get a couple for each holiday.

I adopted my kitty through Petsamrt from the Humane Society. Sometimes I do the donation, but I can't just do it every single time I'm in there. Still, I have a soft spot for the animals. They are not pushy about it at Petsmart, it's easy enough to skip.
Absolutely--that Sarah McLaughlin commercial for ASPCA (I think) gets me every dang time. We actually went to one of Petsmart adoption events when we were looking for a kitten but we ended up finding our kitty from a cats only rescue/shelter.

I went in to a jewelry store ( not a fancy one even, just a strip mall store) to buy a pandora charm.

One charm. $40. Not any big purchase.

I'm paying cash. They asked for my name, phone, address. I said I'm paying cash, you don't need that. They say it's our store policy.

Well you can sell me this or not. I don't give out personal information.

There is one cashier at my local Walmart who feels the need to comment on almost everything you buy, and I hate that. One time she was even talking about how old she was when she started her period to the customer ahead of me, the customer told her how old she was too and they were just chatting all about that sort of thing as she rung up her groceries. When she finally finished with that customer she wanted to continue that conversation with me, no thanks! Geez! I thought it was very weird, and I try to avoid her line if at all possible. I want a cashier to be polite but please, just get the job done so I can be on my way, we don't need to chat like we're good friends. :)

I have a barista at my local place like that. He wants to talk about allergies, my outfit, scarf, shoes, handbag, jewelry, blah, blah, blah. But I can't believe how inappropriate that clerk was! You win today for sure.

I normally don't have a problem with it, I will give a buck here and there or say no thanks.

The one that got to me this year was at Spirit Halloween. The program they have the money goes towards a local (or somwhat close) hospital children's ward. Guy asked me and I said no thanks, asked it I wanted to roundup the 3 cents an even amount. Said sure. As I was walking out his manager (I assume) chewed him put for not pushing harder for more from me.

I don't give at the register. Like a PP said, no tax write-off, plus when I do donate I check carefully where my money goes. Most of the time it's all goes to local charities, like the food banks.

This reminds me of a new, young female checker at our local grocery store a few years ago.

It was mid afternoon when I'm checking out in her line and she says, " you get off work early today?" I'm thinking she *thinks* she knows me and she *thinks* I'm someone else....

So I said no. And she said, " oh! Did you take a vacation day?"

And I said no. She said, "so you DID get off work early?" And I just had it by that time. Because when she talks to me, she's not ringing up my groceries and I had a full cart. She just stops.

So I said, no, I don't have a job.

SHE STOPS EVERYTHING and says, " what do you mean you don't have a job?!?!" And she's kinda loud! I said I stay home.

She says, " but you're looking for one, right?"

And I said no, but do you think I'm someone else that you know??

She kinda sighed and said, " no I don't know you." and then really loudly said, " how is that even possible?!?!"

I didn't say another word. I checked out, I was so SO SO annoyed. I told my DH and he purposely got in her line the next time and she was loud and obnoxious with him. "Do you EVEN know how to cook this?!?!"

She didn't work there very long.

When it's thanksgiving or christmas season our local grocer has pre-packaged meal bags ranging from $5-25 and have them on shelves behind the registers but they never make a big deal about asking to buy one but they move units. I'm sure if they asked everyone who came through to buy one they would sell more but i'm sure it would also piss some people off. I like to get a couple for each holiday.
Maybe, but I'm kind of mystified by that. :confused3 Why be annoyed by a simple question when all you have to do is say "no thanks"? We've had similar discussions here on the DIS about people receiving requests to fund different things and there are always people who say it offends them. We get lots of solicitations from lots of different sources - some of which are for causes we're totally against. But even those only take a second to decline - no harm, no foul.

RANT AHEAD: Between the asking for donations, pushing of the credits cards and constant wanting my email to bombard me with unsolicited messages, this is why I find I like to shop online more and more.

It seems that more than half the time I go into a brick and mortar store, the selection is lacking anyway. Combined with the 20 questions at checkout after service generally stinks, I will order from home.

Really, I am a nice person, but this wears on me. Lines for checkout are long enough. Take my money and let me go!
Have you heard about our Redcard?

Maybe, but I'm kind of mystified by that. :confused3 Why be annoyed by a simple question when all you have to do is say "no thanks"? We've had similar discussions here on the DIS about people receiving requests to fund different things and there are always people who say it offends them. We get lots of solicitations from lots of different sources - some of which are for causes we're totally against. But even those only take a second to decline - no harm, no foul.

I'm with you, my thought is always no harm in asking...about anything but some people just get so angry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter