SPINOFF: Charities at the Check-Out Counter

DisneyFan32WI

Grumpy Cat
Do you get bombarded with clerks asking for donations at the check-out counter? I love that businesses want to help, but I feel badly when I don't want to contribute to a particular cause. Last night, I was at GNC buying a few protein bars as stocking stuffers. The clerk said, they are buy 5 get 1 free. So I bought them all, and the clerk tried to get me to donate to St. Jude's because he just saved me money! Really?? That's how it works? I'm supposed to donate to a cause because there was a sale? I told him, "no thanks, not to this one." He went on to tell me what St. Jude's does for all the children and that all the money goes directly to them (ummm, no it doesn't). My mom was with me and she told him he was rather pushy and he should stop asking for donations like that. I'm still rather upset about the way it happened. I feel like every store I go in asks to round up or add a dollar. Some I have a real connection to, and others I don't.

Last edited:

No, my giving and charitable involvement isn't made at a register or those Salvation Army collections, but that organization is a different thing I shouldn't go into; it's the holidays after all.

Do you get bombarded with clerks asking for donations at the check-out counter? I love that businesses want to help, but I feel badly when I don't want to contribute to a particular cause. Last night, I was at GNC buying a few protein bars as stocking stuffers. The clerk said, they are buy 5 get 1 free. So I bought them all, and the clerk tried to get me to donate to St. Jude's because he just saved me money! Really?? That's how it works? I'm supposed to donate to a cause because there was a sale? I told him, "no thanks, not to this one." He went on to tell me what St. Jude's does for all the children and that all the money goes directly to them (ummm, no it doesn't). My mom was with me and she told him he was rather pushy and he should stop asking for donations like that. I'm still rather upset about the way it happened. I feel like every store I go in asks to round up or add a dollar. Some I have a real connection to, and others I don't.
I find GNC clerks pushy no matter what. I can’t think of a single time they haven’t tried upsell me on something. Last time they gave me a “free” Lenny and Larry’s Brownie and then wouldn’t leave me alone about fish oil. Haven’t been back since. (Brownie sucked btw)

The charity thing at the register is super common now. I just say “not today.”

I haven't really had a pushy one just one and done asking but I'd probably handle the same way when asked about store credit cards: "no thank you" even if I have to repeat it I still say "no thank you".

Don't have a problem being publicly asked for a charity donation at checkout. Oh it set me to wondering the first time it happened but I'm not good at being pushed into anything so have learned to say "No, thank you" just as cheerfully as I was asked. Also not in a habit of having long drawn out conversations with cashiers (I'm in a hurry, the cashier is in a hurry and the line is just getting longer). When I chose to give I also want my tax deduction not possibly giving to the supermarket.

Still if in some way the cashier helped my budget I'd prolly stuff money in the jar in return.

There is definitely more of this at places I go to then there used to be, same with groups collecting outside of stores. It used to be rather uncommon, save for Salvation Army around the holidays, and little containers with a sign for the charity near the registers. Now if you go to grocery or "mart"stores during primetime hours there is usally some group collecting at the doors. Sometimes they also do bagging for tips, which sounds good on the surface, but to be kind about it, they definitely are not bagging the way you might prefer!

Fortunately I haven't had any really persistent cashiers. A simple "no thank you" has been sufficient thus far for organizations you don't wish to contribute to. i can see it being a turnoff for customers if not handled properly though.

I haven't really had a pushy one just one and done asking but I'd probably handle the same way when asked about store credit cards: "no thank you" even if I have to repeat it I still say "no thank you".

I'll say "no thank you" multiple times, email? "No thank you" charity? "No thank you" credit card "no thank you" I can keep being polite as long as they keep asking.

Clerks are typically required by their employer to say or push things at the register. They are fine (and probably relieved) to hear you say no thanks.

The ones I cannot tolerate are the charities who are at the front door harassing you when you walk in. It's annoying. "Do you care about homelessness?" "Have a minute to save a life?" These are actual things they have said as we entered the store.

RANT AHEAD: Between the asking for donations, pushing of the credits cards and constant wanting my email to bombard me with unsolicited messages, this is why I find I like to shop online more and more.

It seems that more than half the time I go into a brick and mortar store, the selection is lacking anyway. Combined with the 20 questions at checkout after service generally stinks, I will order from home.

Really, I am a nice person, but this wears on me. Lines for checkout are long enough. Take my money and let me go!

My usual grocery stores, WalMart and some of the other places I shop all have their own charitable foundations that give to local causes - non-controversial and mostly focused on kids. The dontation is mostly only ever a buck or two; I always say yes. The grocery store was doing a $10 one this weekend for a pre-packaged meal kit being donated to the food bank. I bought one but won't buy another if they ask me again.

We collect for St. Jude at my store and corporate wants us to give this long winded spiel to get people to donate. I find that keeping it short and sweet what people donate and not being pushy either. I usually just tell them that we’re collecting for St. Jude and if they would like to donate it’ll ask them on the pin pad. I never want to make someone feel guilty about not donating. It is a personal choice plus I don’t know how much you make or how much you can spend. I was hate when people try and push me so I don’t push people. Using that method though I’ve made a lot for St. Jude this holiday season. In fact today I had a gentleman give me a $15 donation.

It can get annoying, but I usually do the "round up to the dollar" to donate. Always at Firehouse subs, since my dad was a fireman.
The "saving money" guy...that would really bug me.

I noticed lots of stores asking for donations at the register. Just last week my vet asked if I wanted round up as they are collecting for cancer at the local hospital and they will match the donations. That was fine. Then at AC Moore they asked if I wanted to purchase a small toy for a toy drive and I did but when I got home the toy was in my bag. Not going back to return it unless I'm near the store which I don't think I will be.

My daughter works in a children's clothing store and every few months they want people to donate a new pair of pajamas that they are selling at the store - sometimes jeans too. My daughter gets pretty embarrassed asking since that is just not a few cents or a dollar. Some people actually do donate it though.

RANT AHEAD: Between the asking for donations, pushing of the credits cards and constant wanting my email to bombard me with unsolicited messages, this is why I find I like to shop online more and more.

It seems that more than half the time I go into a brick and mortar store, the selection is lacking anyway. Combined with the 20 questions at checkout after service generally stinks, I will order from home.

Really, I am a nice person, but this wears on me. Lines for checkout are long enough. Take my money and let me go!

I went to the Walmart market up the road from my house. I had an almost full cart of food/house stuff (about $150 worth). She had a line 5 deep when I walked up front, and I used the self-checkout. I used the register that's right next to hers. I was able to scan my whole cart in the time it took her to do 2 orders of less than 10 items each (one had 4 or 5 items, the other a few more). She was scanning so slow, and commenting on each thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter