SpinDisc's Ultimate PJ (Proposal - pg 1, Wedding - pg 16)

SpinDisc

Engagement Coordinator
Hey Everyone!

Alright, I gonna keep this kinda vague, just to be safe. So this summer, I'm taking a vacation to WDW with my siblings & three of our friends. I'm bringing my DGF with, and plan on asking her to marry me. It just so happens that while we are there, it's gonna be her birthday. I've already told her that her present is the vacation, which she is so excited about - but I also plan on asking her to marry me on her birthday as well. I have an idea of how I want to propose, and I wanted to run it by everyone here, since I'm not sure how realistic/good it is...

Okay, so we both love fireworks and Disney. A lot. And she's told me, numerous times, how much she loves the fireworks show at MK (which over the last 19 years of going to Disney with my family, I sadly have never seen). Anyway, I wanted to do this just before or just after the firework show on her birthday. I'm kind of a shy guy, but she loves being the center of attention.

So what I want to do is try and get everyone who's around us (our friends and my siblings, as well as strangers) to sing her happy birthday. Ideally, I was thinking if it's just before/after the fireworks/parade, I could go in the middle of Main Street, get up and shout around to the people around us and ask them to sing to her (knowing full well that Disney probably wouldn't want me to do that, which is why I said "ideally"). Assuming I can make this happen, I would have her stand up as well to be sung to, and as the last lines of the song are being sung ("...Happy Birthday, Dear ________. Happy Birthday to you!"), I would get down on one knee, and ask her to marry me. :goodvibes

So what do you think? Good idea? Bad? Maybe somewhere else I could try this and be successful?! I've still got a couple months before we go, so any input/advice would be greatly appreciated!

I think that sounds great. You could also ask one of the photopass photographers to be at the ready so that they can capture the moment on film.

I think it's perfect. Any idea that you came up with on your own is going to blow her away.

The best part of asking, Did you come up with this on your own? is hearing, Yes! :)

The only thing I can think of recommending is mentioning to a cast member in the park what you're planning on doing. He or she may be able to help you get people to start singing.

How Awesome!! Do It Before The Fireworks, They Usually Come Over The Loud Speakers And Announce Like 1 Minute To Go, Don't Wait Till After, Its Usually A Mad Dash Of People Getting Out Of There, Also Another Idea... Try And Get Dinner Reservations Inside The Castle, Around The Time Of Wishes Ask For A Window Seat, So You Can See Fireworks, Tell Them Why (use Birthday And Engagment Card) I Wish You All The Best You Can Call Disney Dining 407-wdw Dine, For Reservations Do It Sooner Than Later This Place Books Fast, Make Sure People In Your Party Bring Camera And Video If Possible To Capturre It All!!!!
In The Restaurant They Can Sing Happy B-day To Her And Have A Mini Cake Brought Out, Before She Makes Her Wish, Ask Her!!!

I agree with Jenn, get a cast member in on it. If you try and start screaming at people odds are no one in the crowd will pay much attention.....they'll look over and shrug it off. However if you get a microphone so your voice carries you'll have better luck!:goodvibes

My husband proposed to me at Cinderella's Royal Table. He called and had it set up before hand. We had a nice dinner at the best table in the center of the room near the window. After dinner, the waiter brought out a covered dish, which I opened and it had my ring sitting in a glass slipper on a rose bud. The rest of the dish was covered in rose petals. Then he proposed. It was fantastic. For dessert, he had ordered the slipper dessert, which had Will you Marry Me written in chocolate sauce around the plate. It was a wonderful proposal. A Disney photograhper was there so we have the pictures, etc. Right after we saw the fireworks in front of the castle.
Now with that being said, I was just at Cinderella's Royal Table for dinner last week. Now that do this show with Suzy, Perla, and the Fairy Godmother, which my now husband said would freaked him out if he was about to propose. It is kind of loud and there is a alot of moving around. However, a couple did get engaged there that night. I might choose a more romantic setting like California Grill or Les Chefs. If you want to do it in front of the castle as you suggeseted that would be pretty romantic as well. I actually saw that happen last week on this trip as well. However, there was no photographer, etc. It just really depends on you.

AWWWWWW I love it!!!!!!!! You should be able to ge people to sing,I read on another thread that people sang happy birthday to a little boy on Main st waiting for the oarade to start.The CM brought him into the middle of the st and everybody sang!!!

Good look I hope it works,I'm like teary eyed just thinking about it.Your GF is going to love it!!!

::bump::

I'm bumping for two reasons:

1) Because I want to see, almost 3 months later from initially asking, what people think.

2) Because in 9 days (June 15), I'm gonna ask her to marry me (one way or another)::yes::

I think your idea sounds wonderful. I would definitely ask a CM to help out.

You will have to tell us how it went when you get back.

Awww - how sweet! Where are you from in Chicago? I grew up in the burbs too.

My sister's friend got engaged at Disney two years ago. Her now husband talked to cast members and they got them a prime spot in front of the castle for him to do it. So you may want to see if you can get some cast members to help with the "magic" - I also think I read on a thread of a girl who's boyfriend took her to the wishing well in back of the castle and gave her a coin to make a wish. And then he proposed! So cute!

We'll be in WDW next week, but we're leaving on the 13th!!!! We'll just miss you. Good luck on the proposal and congratulations!

Thanks eveyone!

DisneyVeteran, I'm from Tinley Park (southwest of Chicago). Too bad you won't be around on the 15th..but I'll update everyone after it happens.:hyper:

First, congratulations! Second, I'm really proud you had the gumption to come on the board and ask!! I know some guys really aren't that thrilled about asking for ideas. Third, I'm so excited for you!!

I think that sounds great. You could also ask one of the photopass photographers to be at the ready so that they can capture the moment on film.

Photopass is a great idea (or ask a stranger if there isn't one nearby)...I would have loved to have a photo of DF asking for my hand...

The only thing I can think of recommending is mentioning to a cast member in the park what you're planning on doing. He or she may be able to help you get people to start singing.

I second the cast member action. You'd be surprised at what lengths disney will help out if its a super special occasion (they love the publicity, methinks).

AWWWWWW I love it!!!!!!!! You should be able to ge people to sing,I read on another thread that people sang happy birthday to a little boy on Main st waiting for the oarade to start.The CM brought him into the middle of the st and everybody sang!!!

I've seen this done before the parade too!! They take the kid right in the middle of the street and there are hundreds of people dying to make a special day more special!!

----

IMHO, like suggested I wouldn't wait until after the fireworks cuz people are in a mad dash -- I'm not sure how sold you are on having a lot of people around, but after the fireworks a lot of people have already filed out of the MK. They do a nightly "kiss goodnight" (during peak its at 11 pm) where they light up the castle very pretty (changes colors) and play Roy O Disney's dedication speech over the loud speakers... I'm surprised how many people choose to miss this because its quite beautiful...anyway, there are a LOT less people around and you can get up close to the castle (or the partner statue) -- OO OO or maybe the wishing well and propose there... I'm kind of a more "intimate" girl so this sounds super romantic to me, but if DGF is a little more flashy, during the fireworks sounds like a great idea to me!

I agree too, you MUST come back and let us know how it went!! (preferably after you get back to you room!! :rotfl2: )

I think this idea is so wonderful!!! It would be so nice to get everyone to sing to her!!! I think its perfect to pop the question right then and there, just as you're finishing up the birthday song!!! Def get a cast member to help you out with that... and I vote for before the fireworks! Then you two can really enjoy the fireworks as an engaged couple for the first time!!! So romantic!! :cutie:

SpinDisc ~ I'm from TP too!!! just got engaged in Disney this past April! :goodvibes I'm sure it will be wonderful. can't wait to hear all about it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!