Spin Off: Which Time (ST or DT) do you prefer?

Which do you prefer

• Standard time (what we have in the winter)

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Saving time (What we have in the summer)

Votes: 34 68.0%
  • Changing Twice a year

Votes: 4 8.0%

• Total voters
IMHO:

Year round DST>>>Year round Standard Time>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>what we're doing now

I would love it to be light until 5:00 in the winter. If I leave work at 4, the sun is going down and in western PA with the hills, twilight is about 7 minutes long and it's completely dark.

My kids get the bus in the dark whether the clocks change or not. They leave in the dark at 6:25 and come home in the dark at 4:10

Leaving for school at 6:45 AM??

:scared1:

:faint:

How do you figure it's an ADDITIONAL 4 months? I'll give you maybe a month, but now that we change back in March (instead of April), it's dark again when the kids are going to school.

I live in the western half of the time zone. If we were on summer time year round it would be dark in the morning from Nov - March. When we fall back, it’s light out by 7:15-7:30 when the kids leave for school.

Evening is not an issue in winter as the earliest the sun sets is 5:30.

:scared1:

:faint:
No, not 6:45. I said 6:25!

Rural. High school starts at 7:45. The bus is an hour 10 minute ride going back rural roads, 4-5 miles in, turning around and coming back out to the main road the entire 10 miles (straight shot without the side roads.) Bus service has to be back out to pick up the elementary kids at 8:00 for their hour bus ride to start school at 9:10.

My (ex)wife recorded a Facebook live video of them waiting as the bus rolled up because her coworkers didn't believe her the bus came at 6:25, LOL.

I live in the western half of the time zone. If we were on summer time year round it would be dark in the morning from Nov - March. When we fall back, it’s light out by 7:15-7:30 when the kids leave for school.

Evening is not an issue in winter as the earliest the sun sets is 5:30.
My kids leave at around 7. Even with the time change in the fall, they're in the dark for Dec-Feb. And we're about 90 minutes from the time zone break.

As for the time change, one of the allegedly benefits is it saves energy.

Is that still the case? I thought all benefits were antiquated at this point. Here in NY, they've been pushing to do away with the time change. I was half listening to a story on the news about how the daylight saving time only came about for the benefit of farmers in the olden days. But now, it's not really necessary and no longer serves a purpose.

Pretty common around here. The high school I went to has kids catching the bus around 6:15-6:30 because they have to transfer buses (the school is in the city and buses kids in from the suburbs). Because the commute is so long, they have to get picked up early to be there by the 7:45am start time.

When you live in the north (way farther north than most Americans have ever been) the short daylight hours of winter can be very oppressive. For example, from November to February there are days I never see actual daylight if I haven’t left my interior office. It’s still pitch dark when I go at 7:00 and dark already before I head home around 5:00. :sunny: By the time we make the “spring forward” it’s beginning to break dawn at about 7:00 so when we change, those first mornings of full light are a welcome treat.

If we decided to stay standard all year though, I guess it wouldn’t really matter. I have no strong preference either way. My biggest issue is having to remember how to change the clock in my car every 6 months but I have people for that. :goodvibes

ETA: it is 6:57 am here right now and still very, very dark out.

Is that still the case? I thought all benefits were antiquated at this point. Here in NY, they've been pushing to do away with the time change. I was half listening to a story on the news about how the daylight saving time only came about for the benefit of farmers in the olden days. But now, it's not really necessary and no longer serves a purpose.

Using your lights in your house an hour less should save some energy, nothing antiquated about that.

Using your lights in your house an hour less should save some energy, nothing antiquated about that.

My point being that daylight saving time had a larger impact in the olden days. Now, the impact is minimal if even measurable. Where I live, the hour less I use my lights in the evening is offset by the additional hour I need to use my lights in the morning (this time of year, at least).

As much as I like getting an extra hour of sleep in the fall (especially if I am at Disney during the change) I would prefer savings time all year round. Doesn’t matter which one we are on currently, it is dark when I leave for work in the morning. At least with savings time I have 2-3 hours of sunlight after getting off work instead of the sun setting on my drive home during standard time.

Saving Time. I don't care if it is dark in the morning, I'm either still sleeping or just going to work. I want it light later when I can actually be outside enjoying it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!