Spin Off: Which Time (ST or DT) do you prefer?

Which do you prefer

• Standard time (what we have in the winter)

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Saving time (What we have in the summer)

Votes: 34 68.0%
  • Changing Twice a year

Votes: 4 8.0%

• Total voters

sam_gordon

DIS Veteran
I'm sure we've done this before, but who cares?

Would you rather live in Daylight Saving Time (what we just switched to) or Daylight Standard Time (what we had during the winter) or keep switching twice a year?

I don’t mind changing twice a year at all.

It’s fun to get that extra weekend hour in the fall and in the spring it’s cool to instantly see it still light out in the evening. :)

While I wouldn’t mind daylight savings year round, the kids would be going to school in the dark for an additional 4 months out of the year.
Splitting the difference would be a good compromise.

While I wouldn’t mind daylight savings year round, the kids would be going to school in the dark for an additional 4 months out of the year.

The big discussion here is to push back the start of all levels of school K-12 by an hour, which would eliminate kids going to school in the dark in most cases, but they would be coming home in the dark in Winter. And after school activities would get squeezed.
As for the time change, one of the allegedly benefits is it saves energy. So I see no reason not to Spring Forward and Fall Back every year like most parts of the country have been doing for decades.

How do you figure it's an ADDITIONAL 4 months? I'll give you maybe a month, but now that we change back in March (instead of April), it's dark again when the kids are going to school.

I don't care just wish they'd pick one & leave it alone. HATE the change either way.

I agree. It feels like I am swimming upstream in molasses because I can’t get to sleep early enough to get more than 3-4 hours of sleep. It always takes having my weekend to get it turned around. The worst part is I work Sundays, so I don’t even get the first day to try to recover like some do. I don’t care which one they pick or if they split the difference, just pick one and be done with it.

DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME. I'm mostly okay with switching back and forth (even though I'm not a huge fan of Standard Time), and I'd be okay with staying on DST permanently. However I would NOT want to be on Standard Time permanently. That "extra hour" of daylight in spring/summer has a big positive effect on my mood.

Once I get used to the loss of sleep from the weekend, I will like this time change.

Worked all day Saturday, did not sleep well overnight, awake at 4 am and at church at 6:20 Sunday morning. It was hard to get up in the dark this morning at 6:30 am and a nap was required after work.

Prefer to have daylight after work. In the winter, I am good for nothing as soon as it gets dark.

I too would like the time to stop changing once and for all

The time change doesn't bother me, especially since my bedroom clock and computer update automatically. If we go to one a year I'd probably choose to leave it at standard. I think people who live farther north are more affected than those of us living in the more southern latitudes.

Other - don't care either way. Changing clocks doesn't bother me and I'm fine with whatever they decide to do.

Days are going to get longer in the summer and shorter in the winter regardless of what the time on the clock says.

I say we all switch to GMT, and then adjust when things happen locally. Like a normal 9-5 office job on the east coast would be from 13:00 GMT to 21:00 GMT

Also, while we are talking times, high school should start later in the day than elementary school does.

I prefer our hours now. In the winter it’s dark by 5.00 and that’s way too early.
I would love it to be light until 5:00 in the winter. If I leave work at 4, the sun is going down and in western PA with the hills, twilight is about 7 minutes long and it's completely dark.

My kids get the bus in the dark whether the clocks change or not. They leave in the dark at 6:25 and come home in the dark at 4:10

Once I get used to the loss of sleep from the weekend, I will like this time change.

Worked all day Saturday, did not sleep well overnight, awake at 4 am and at church at 6:20 Sunday morning. It was hard to get up in the dark this morning at 6:30 am and a nap was required after work.

Prefer to have daylight after work. In the winter, I am good for nothing as soon as it gets dark.

I too would like the time to stop changing once and for all

I think we're twins. :laughing: I also hate the actual changing but prefer DST once I'm finally adjusted, and for the same reason: "I am good for nothing as soon as it gets dark." DST makes me feel more in line with "normal" times to do things.

Also, while we are talking times, high school should start later in the day than elementary school does.

1000x Amen!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter