Spin-off Parking fees... switching hotels

We have been going to WDW for over 35 years and have seen a lot of changes through the years. There was no such thing as value and moderate resorts when we started going, if you wanted to stay on site you stayed at a monorail resort, WL or what is now Shades of Green (wasn't military back then). We wanted to stay on site our first visit so those were it. Fast forward 35 years and they have added more parks, more resort and categories. Prices have always gone up and always will, they have also gone up other places we vacation. There have always been things you can pay extra for, sometimes we do, sometimes we don't. We don't think the food prices are that out of line but we live in a college town so unless you are eating fast food, you pay just about the same prices. We like the food at WDW too, I'll admit that the service in the restaurants (and the parks to some extent) has seemed to have gone down a bit but with so many choices, we just don't go back to a restaurant if the service was too bad. We like being in the Disney bubble, we always have. We don't take advantage of the how ever many days in advance you can book FPs or ADRs, I seriously don't even know how many it is. We book FPs most of the time in the morning while on the way to the park and we book ADRs while walking around in the afternoon. We sometimes take advantage of EMH, more often the night time ones than the morning ones but we don't do it every trip and we certainly don't do it every day. We don't stay on site for those things, believe it or not we do it for the transportation. Yep, we ride the buses and don't mind them. We actually drive down, it's a 7 1/2 hour drive for us and much cheaper than flying would be. We park our car and don't get in it again until we leave. Am I thrilled about now having to pay a parking fee? Nope, of course not. Will it stop us from staying on site? Nope. We stay at Swan/Dolphin a lot so have been paying parking fees anyway. We like to park hop, we like to enjoy a refreshing adult beverage (or two) we like to go back to our resort and spend time at the pool then later on go back to the parks. We like being able to either hop on a Disney bus or walk in the case of Epcot/HS and not drive, park and walk. I can almost guarantee if we had to get in our car after relaxing at the pool or a hour or two, we wouldn't do it (there might be refreshing adult beverages enjoyed at the pool). So nope, it's not going to change a single thing for us except now we might go back to valet parking the car at the deluxe resorts since we have to pay anyway. We used to do it but I thought, well heck it's free to self park so I'll park it and lug my suitcase up myself instead of paying a tip for someone else to do it.

As far as other places we vacation, we are getting ready to buy a RV so we will be going down to Florida Keys a lot more for diving, we will be taking advantage of the State Parks on or near the beach here in Georgia and Florida. We will stay at the Fort at Disney instead of the resorts and maybe now I can actually get my honey to go to WDW instead of me going solo or with my adult son.

We did AKL lodge as well and it was our first Deluxe and didn't love it either. We didn't necessarily dislike it, it just didn't feel deluxe to us. I have commented on that previously and I have quickly learned that I'm in the minority with that opinion of AKL. We're usually POR and we actually liked that over AKL. We want to try another deluxe too and may give it a whirl if/when free dining comes out since we know we're going back anyway.
Yeah we are definitely in the minority. It’s funny because we also just tried ohana and tusker house and were not super impressed with either of those and I know people love them. I absolutely love por and POFQ! We rented a car last year and stayed at por. I’m not sure if we will rent a car now though.

Won't you still pay for parking at the parks though? That's really how I'm rationalizing it. If we stay off-site, I still pay parking.
Actually, no I won't because as an AP we get parking free at the parks. I always drive, Florida resident who lives just far enough away that a hotel stay is warranted. Since last March we have made a one week trip with two rooms and added the dinning plan for five Disney adults at AKL, two week long stays in the summer at All Stars and countless weekends at mods and values. This new parking fee adds hundreds to our Mickey cash out lay...In addition, not one person in my family of five has ever step foot on the magical express buses and we hardly use the resort buses. Yet, I don't see Disney offering to give us a kick back for services we don't use.

We have also stayed offsite quite a bit this years as I have a daughter who plays in several softball tournaments at Wide World of Sports each year. For these trips we stay where ever the team requires. Typically off site. There are tons of very nice off site location that offer no parking fees and no resorts fees in the area. Many of the hotels offer free breakfast and while condos are not going to include breakfast they do include a full kitchen, way more space and a washer and dryer at a much lower rate.

Ironically our AP'S expire on the 25th of this month. This new resort parking fee was the last straw for me. I won't be renewing our AP's. FYI- We can afford the new fees this has just made me rethink if the value is justifiable and as this sits now I don't feel it is anymore.

I agree, this was the last straw for us too. We live in NE Florida and have been AP holders for 12 years. We drive down 4-5 times a year. We are a moderate income family, just me and DH, so usually stay at value resorts and sometimes off site if we can't get a AP rate. Back in the good old days, we could get a AP rate of $65 a night at a value resort. Now, we are lucky to get a rate less than $175 AND you don't even get a coffee maker in the room! We found a gem of a hotel off site that is SO much cheaper, free parking, free wi-fi and free breakfast but whenever I can get a "decent" rate a value, I prefer to stay there because of the Disney atmosphere and ability to take Disney transportation. We will no longer do it. I could handle the parking fee if the resort rates weren't so ridiculously high. I know it's Disney, but $175 for the value resorts is outrageous and throw in the parking fee now we are looking at close to $200 a night. I can't do it.
What's this "gem" of a hotel? Do tell. :)

UPDATE
We check in at the Holiday Inn and I have to say I’m literally 5 min drive from Disney and the room is double in size, have a Keurig coffee maker, bathroom are huge, full size crib, mini fridge, queen size beds, no stinky carpet, no mold, is spotless. I’m so glad I’m not going back to the bubble any time soon.
edited to add we have free wifi, and free kids breakfast with a $12 paying adult for a buffet.

UPDATE
We check in at the Holiday Inn and I have to say I’m literally 5 min drive from Disney and the room is double in size, have a Keurig coffee maker, bathroom are huge, full size crib, mini fridge, queen size beds, no stinky carpet, no mold, is spotless. I’m so glad I’m not going back to the bubble any time soon.
edited to add we have free wifi, and free kids breakfast with a $12 paying adult for a buffet.

I'm happy you found a place you like!
I'm sure it's nice and would do for us anywhere else but in Disney a Holiday Inn would not fly...prisoner of the bubble here! :wave:

My husband's response to the news about the parking fees was "Good. Maybe now it will be easier to find parking at the Deluxe Resorts." At least as far as the deluxe resorts go I think the fees might be beneficial for those who drive their car and are willing to pay for parking. Besides AKL, when we have stayed at a deluxe resort we have always struggled to find a parking space (speaking specifically about the Poly, BC, and CR). We also found parking to be much more crowded at ASMu during our January trip compared to times we have stayed there even right before Christmas. I'm hoping that between the people who say they will no longer stay on property and those who will decide not to rent a car that it will be easer to find a spot.

Some of this is also going to be dependent on what kind of parking situation you are used to. We live in a city where parking in general is a nightmare and where even parking for restaurants, shopping, etc. is often valet only. Even if it's free valet there is $ associated with tipping. So we don't find charging for overnight parking to be an unreasonable change - it's something we already deal with on a daily basis at home.

It won't deter us from staying on property but we tend to be pretty easy going about things. I often read a lot of complaints about things on the boards about things that are not really WDW's "fault". We have found parking to be an issue at WDW resorts lately so I don't necessarily see the parking fees as greedy but as an attempt to improve the problem. Just like I have seen people complaining about dirty bathrooms lately. Yes, I have also noticed that the bathrooms have not been as clean as they have been in the past. But I have also ALWAYS encountered a CM actively cleaning the bathroom. The difference I have noticed has been that guests are much more rude and inconsiderate. I can't tell you the number of times I have heard a mom in a stall frantically yell at her young child NOT to flush the toilet because of germs. It seems like no one flushes the toilets anymore. If the auto toilet doesn't flush, then push the little button and flush the darn thing yourself! And I can't be the only one who has been frustrated when you enter a stall only to find that almost an entire roll of toilet paper has been literally stuffed into the toilet which has clogged it. Mounds of toilet paper are also strewn all over the floors in MANY stalls. I have also encountered people allowing the faucet water to run when it doesn't shut off automatically which sprays additional water all over the counter. And I have seen people just toss paper towels onto the floor - not even trying to get it to go into the garbage bin. Even if you had more than one CM stationed in a bathroom for their entire shifts it would be STILL be impossible for them to completely rid the bathrooms of these guest created issues. Dirty tables at QS? It used to be that people would do at least a quick clean up after themselves at a QS restaurant and quickly wipe a table of crumbs, spills etc, throw away their trash. Now I see tables littered with trash, spilled drinks, and dribbled condiments. It used to be that a CM walked around with a rage and simply did a quick wipe of the table top to get the table ready for the next party. Now they are doing a full on cleaning and clearing of multiple tables. If people would show some common courtesy and respect both to other guests as well as cast members I think there would be a lot less complaints. We have also encountered a LOT of people who purposely park their car ACROSS several parking spaces in the the resort parking lot or purposely park in the middle of two spaces. I understand that some people with special needs sometimes require extra space to get into and out of their vehicle but I am talking about people who are taking up additional spaces because they don't want their car to get dinged. I have not encountered that anywhere as often as I have at a WDW resort. That only contributes to the parking problems at the resorts.

As far as prices go, as my husband told me that "Disney is a business not a national endowment or national park". I think because WDW has always been such a great, family friendly vacation destination some people have unknowingly interpreted that to mean that it should also be affordable for most families. It costs money to keep WDW a family friendly destination. Think of what the atmosphere is like at other theme parks that are not family friendly. I would rather pay more money for the family friendly environment at WDW than pay less and deal with some of the things that happen at other theme parks. There are MANY vacation destinations that I would LOVE to visit. Unfortunately many of them are simply beyond what we consider to be an affordable range for our family. I don't complain about the resort or destination because it is not affordable and assume they have greedy business practices, I simply accept that WE cannot afford it.

I find it contradictory that so many people have been complaining about the increase in crowds lately but then also complain that WDW is getting too expensive. From a financial perspective the best way for Disney as a business to take care of the crowds is to "get rid" of the people who spend less money at WDW and "replace" them with people who will give WDW the most money. Then they will have less people spending the same (or much more!) amount of money. Every time I read that someone has decided they will no longer visit WDW, I just think "Perfect. I'm sure the people who are complaining about the crowds will appreciate one less body."

Does it suck to be out-priced from a WDW vacation? Absolutely. Is it any different from not being able to vacation somewhere else because you can't afford it? Nope.
They are not charging day guests, so I don’t think it is going to solve anything. I think it will make you more frustrated not being able to find a spot after paying, when non-paying guests can.

I'm curious what you & others are finding to enjoy for vacation. There is such excitement involved in a Disney vacation & sooooooo many things to see & do & eat, etc. that it's hard for us to find anything that matches that excitement. I'd really love to be able to considering all that's going on with Disney now....

A cruise, for one, has all that. The ships now a day have tons of dining venues, nightly entertainment, broadway shows, comedy, dancing, lounges, shore excursions (extra fee), games, classes, etc..etc... you can never be bored on a cruiseship.

We have a cruise booked, for 3, next year. Starts in Copenhagen and sails up the baltic coast visiting Tallinn, Estonia; St. Petersburg’s, Russia; Helsinki, Finland; Stockholm, Sweden; Bergen, Norway; Lerwick, Shetland Islands; Reykjavik, Iceland; Dublin, Ireland. Airfare on was $570pp, 9 night cruise is $4300. Overnight stay in Copenhagen $210, breakfast and airport shuttle included. Excludes dinner. Total = $6220 plus dinner.

7 nights at the Yacht Club last year was $7280, all inclusive.

Cruises from FL, with balcony cabin are as low as $900pp all inclusive except alcohol vising many ports on the caribbean.

We have an on-site All Stars reservation for Wine and Dine weekend that we won’t likely cancel unless I can find a screaming deal on both rooms and car rental. For this trip it’s just DH and me and using transportation makes sense this time.

We were last at WDW in September 2017 for nine nights (one at ASMo, 8 at Kidani on rented points). Since we don’t own DVC it’s my understanding that we would still have had to pay for parking under the new rules. That means our trip would have been an extra $205. That’s a lot of money to us that would have translated to most of our MNSSHP tickets or our HEA dessert party.

We choose to rent a car because it’s just so much easier. We like to be on own schedule. With our two littles, we also have to have a stroller. Strollers have to be folded on the buses for obvious reasons. Ours breaks down into three pieces when it’s folded and we are just not putting ourselves and everyone else through that at least twice a day and probably more like four times.

We really don’t leave Disney property too much after we get there. We do a Publix run for milk, fried chicken, and soda (If they would sell Pepsi and Mtn Dew we probably wouldn’t bother). We just love to be able to go places when we want to or the kids attitudes require it.

My thought on paying for parking is first of all, why does it cost more to park at a deluxe resort than the theme parks, especially if they are not charging the day guests the higher rate? At $24 a night at a deluxe, an off site guest is paying less to park at any of the parks than a deluxe guest since parking is “included” for resort guests (now its included with your parking fee!). How does that make sense?

Second, if I’m now being charged to park at Disney, it’s less appealing for us to stay there. So I can take the same amount of money including parking fees at both the hotel and the theme parks and get way more space for my dollar. I’ll probably miss the FP+ window, but at least for now, the rides that we would need the window for are not exactly high demand.

We live much closer to Disneyland and can visit there (off-site hotel) for less than half what we spend on a WDW trip or multiple trips for the same budget, but we were just starting to think we preferred WDW. But this fee just really bugs me. We will have to see about next year, but if it’s WDW again, it will likely be off-site for us.

This is where we plan to stay on our next trip (Marriott TownePlace Suites):

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/tra...lando-at-flamingo-crossings-western-entrance/

For a rate of $161/night (All-Star Movies is $140/night for the same dates), we are getting:

- Free hot breakfast buffet
- Zero-entry pool, whirlpool
- Free onsite parking
- Fitness centre
- Studio w/ full kitchen
- Poolside BBQ area

We are also getting three nights free using Marriott points, and earning points on the remainder of the stay. It'll be our first time staying offsite, but seems worth a try at this point!

http://www.mystic-dunes-resort.com/3-bedroom-standard-mystic-dunes-resort-orlando-florida

Built on one of the highest elevations in the area, Mystic Dunes Resort and Golf Club is nestled over 600 acres of rolling hills all while featuring lush Florida nature preserves and beautiful tropical landscaping. Amenities include on-site dining, outdoor pool, children’s club, breakfast is available for a charge.

Enjoy complimentary shuttle transportation to Disney World, Universal Orlando, and SeaWorld Orlando theme parks. After a day at the parks or for guests who just want to unwind, this resort offers 4 swimming pools, including Dunes Lagoon, which features a two-story water slide and private cabanas.

upload_2018-3-17_22-32-16.png

upload_2018-3-17_22-29-9.png
upload_2018-3-17_22-29-53.png

I have a trip planned for next week, room only reservations, I just booked offsite hotel and saved $100 per night and that’s including all fees. Actual hotel is very similar to what I have book with Disney. Parking fee was the last straw even when It wouldn’t affect us on this trip, I put my foot down. Also canceled all resorts dining. With the money saved will be looking for restaurants options outside the bubble.
Who else have or is contemplating to do the same? I was thinking of parking at Disney Springs then taking transportation back to my resort. Next morning back to DS and using my car for jitterbugging around., but that is just crazy. lol

I have a trip planned for next week, room only reservations, I just booked offsite hotel and saved $100 per night and that’s including all fees. Actual hotel is very similar to what I have book with Disney. Parking fee was the last straw even when It wouldn’t affect us on this trip, I put my foot down. Also canceled all resorts dining. With the money saved will be looking for restaurants options outside the bubble.
Who else have or is contemplating to do the same?

Just changed our WL 5 stay at the end of May to Hilton lake buena vista (Disney springs). Hilton total cost was $794.25. Will still get EMH and 60 day FP. Saved $1200 by switching.
We typically don’t do deluxe but might try renting points. I’m not sure yet if by renting you still have to pay for parking or not, but we rarely take a car anyway.

UPDATE
How much are you paying per night? If you don’t mind me asking.

A cruise, for one, has all that. The ships now a day have tons of dining venues, nightly entertainment, broadway shows, comedy, dancing, lounges, shore excursions (extra fee), games, classes, etc..etc... you can never be bored on a cruiseship.

We have a cruise booked, for 3, next year. Starts in Copenhagen and sails up the baltic coast visiting Tallinn, Estonia; St. Petersburg’s, Russia; Helsinki, Finland; Stockholm, Sweden; Bergen, Norway; Lerwick, Shetland Islands; Reykjavik, Iceland; Dublin, Ireland. Airfare on was $570pp, 9 night cruise is $4300. Overnight stay in Copenhagen $210, breakfast and airport shuttle included. Excludes dinner. Total = $6220 plus dinner.

7 nights at the Yacht Club last year was $7280, all inclusive.

Cruises from FL, with balcony cabin are as low as $900pp all inclusive except alcohol vising many ports on the caribbean.
We do a family trip once a year and with this new parking fee, we've decided vacation 2019 will be a cruise. (Probably not a Disney cruise because like everything else Disney, they are overpriced.) I was just watching some youtube videos on cruises and I have to say, it made me disappointed we aren't doing a cruise for this years vacation. They look amazing! I'm so unimpressed with this new parking fee I wanted to cancel this years Disney trip even though the fee won't affect this trip but the hubby and kids are resisting, lol.

We are going to Portland Oregon this summer and are really excited! We are just beginning our planning. Researching hikes, dining, a trip over to the coast and breweries.
Love Portland! We did a walking tour (free-the guide takes tips at the end) and learned a ton about the city! The guide was really really good-his tip was good! We also did a haunted bar tour , complete with beer tastings at each stop. I also could have stayed for a whole day in Powell's bookstore. Multnomah Falls is spectacular.
We usually do combo off/onsite, but we almost always have a car even if flying. The last couple times we've done a night or 2 at Disney Springs. There are specials all the time waiving the resort &/or parking fee and there are tons of hotels without separate fees. Contemplating taking a break after June trip, APs expire in August. If we get back in next couple years it'll be offsite. And we are going on first cruise in October. Have a feeling Disney will lose out...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter