Spin off of a Spin off.....what size mattress did your parents have?

What size bed did your parents have?

• Twin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Double

Votes: 33 49.3%
  • Queen

Votes: 19 28.4%
  • King

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • California King

Votes: 6 9.0%
  • No bed

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
My parents had a double, then a queen, now sleep in separate rooms due to difficulty with sleep.

My grandparents slept in twins in same room. But my grandfather was disabled from a farm accident and suffered from a lot of pain. The separate beds were for his comfort.

DH and I have a queen. It's plenty big as we're only 5'4" and 5'8". We've had Kings in hotels and feel lost in them.

My parents have had a king size bed for many years. I’m not sure when they upsized, but they definitely had a smaller bed when I was a child. Might have been a double, possibly a Queen.

DH and I are in a queen. It seems like the right size for us. On the rare occasion that we sleep in a double in a hotel room it seems way too crowded. We do occasionally get to sleep in a king and that feels really big and spacious. I might be able to get used to a king but it would overwhelm our bedroom.

My parents have gone back and forth between queen and king over the years (my mom likes to redecorate and swaps furniture between the various bedrooms all the time).

My maternal grandparents had a king sized bed.
My paternal grandparents had two twin sized beds.

Probably weird, but their bedrooms did shape my views on their different personalities growing up.

My parents have had a king size bed for many years. I’m not sure when they upsized, but they definitely had a smaller bed when I was a child. Might have been a double, possibly a Queen.

Same here. I remember their king in the last house I lived in with them, but I'm not sure what they had when I was little.

Last edited:
My parents had a queen and I had a twin growing up. My husband and I started out on a full-size futon, then had a queen bed for the past 15 or so years. We would’ve liked to have had a king but the bedroom and the winding stairs leading to it wouldn’t have easily accommodated one. We’ve since moved and our new king bed is scheduled to deliver tomorrow.

867BA321-2CA0-4B01-A9C7-C4ECBAA8F010.jpeg

When we were growing up, my parents had a double. They have upgraded to a queen as a king would be too large for their room. I have a queen and so does my husband.

Parents had a double. Husband and I had a double until about 8 years ago (so for 12 years). Our first house was very small and we bought a really nice bedroom set with a double bed and even as we moved to larger houses, I didn't want to give up the set. Now that we have a king, I'm not sure how I survived! Our vacation home has a queen and it feels tiny.

I was the same way with loving our bedroom set and not wanting to give it up. We had a queen, my husband wanted a king. I told him if he found our same bed in a king, I would be willing to make the switch. He tracked one down (I had been looking for a while). In Canada. He arranged to get it transferred to one of their US stores, then shipped across the country. He really wanted a bigger bed. I agree, I will never go back as long as I am sharing.

The 'rents had a double; they would have regarded anything larger as a shocking indulgence. We have a queen-size, we bought it when we had our first baby. I bought my DS a double (full) when he moved out of a dorm into his own place, which was when I discovered that that size mattress is getting a bit harder to find in stores.

Funny story: my immigrant working-class parents always regarded the twin-beds in a shared room thing as a rich-people's thing. My mother had worked as a maid in England, and had sometimes seen it in the homes of the very wealthy, but never among working-class families, so that's how she thought of it. It made sense in her logic: only someone who had someone else available to do the laundry would deliberately double the amount of bedding that had to be washed.

My parents had a queen waterbed when I was a kid. When we moved they kept the bed frame, but got rid of the waterbed part and switched to a regular mattress.

My parents had a queen while I was growing up. They switched to a king after I moved out. DH's parents had a double until well after we were married, then they switched to a queen size.

We have always had queen size. We have stayed in King hotel rooms, and the bed is just too huge. I prefer queen size. Due to my height, my toes hang off the end of a double bed, so I really dislike those. If I can get a hotel room with queen beds instead of double beds I will.

Well at first they had a waterbed (Queen? King? I'm not really sure) complete with gigantic hideous wooden headboard with all the bookshelves and compartments. :laughing: Then they switched to a California King, which they still have. I have no idea why since they're both short so they don't really need the extra leg room. They probably would have been better off with a regular King.

Funny thing about I Love Lucy, when it first started, Lucy and Ricky's beds were actually two beds pushed up against each other (so essentially, the same as a double bed but you could see the "seam" in between them) but then ended up switching to the two Twins set apart from each other. I suppose they tried to circumvent the rules at first but got nabbed for it.

My parents had a double bed, and my sister and I had twin beds that could be converted to bunks. After my dad died, my mom gave me the double bed in the smallest bedroom (nobody wanted to live with the teenager) and she and my sister stacked the twins into a bunk bed in the master bedroom. My brother and sister (who were 5 and 4 at the time) shared the 2nd bedroom, with 2 twin beds. When I moved out at 21, I took that double bed with me. At some point (maybe when I went to grad school?) my brother inherited it and took it with him when he got married.

DH and I have a king bed. Met him in grad school so our first bed was an XL-twin in the dorm, hahaha. After we moved to an apartment, I took the double bed that had been my parents but moved it back when my brother got married, as DH and I were moving to San Francisco and took no furniture with us. When we got there we bought a queen. I can't remember when we bought the king... maybe 26 years ago when we moved back east from SF? Anyhow, we still have a king but are talking about downsizing to a queen. We need a new mattress anyhow, and if we go with a queen we can put the 2 king box springs in the empty spare room and buy 2 twin mattresses and actually have beds in the quest "bed"room!

My parents had a Queen. DH and I have always had and always will have a King. If I had room and there was something bigger than a King, I'd get that! DH always seems to sleep in the middle of the bed, even though he is insistent he does not. Sometimes we remind me of me and my little sister who used to sleep together in a double bed and fight about who was on the other's side :D .

My parents have always had a double bed, and still do. I have a queen, so I have a bed that is bigger than what they sleep in together all for myself!

My parents had a water bed. King size I think. I actually had one too. I forgot what all we had over the years, but I definitely remember those. I currently have a king bed, as do my parents. I gotta say though, my 2 year old takes up my ENTIRE bed. It’s insane.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter