Spin off of a Spin off.....what size mattress did your parents have?

What size bed did your parents have?

• Twin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Double

Votes: 33 49.3%
  • Queen

Votes: 19 28.4%
  • King

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • California King

Votes: 6 9.0%
  • No bed

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

tvguy

Question anything the facts don't support.
Sort of SPIN OFF OF the "Who Started Off With Zero" thread. Some left with furniture. My wife left with her parents double bed. I remember my parents upgrading from a double to a Queen size. These days King size and California King seem to be popular. My daughter insisted on buying a queen just for her when she moved out.
Growing up watching I Love Lucy and Dick Van Dyke, married couples slept in separate twin beds.
What did your parents have?

My parents had a Queen size. We have a king size that we bought when we moved into this house (previously had queen). I'm not sure I could go back.

I had heard that the twin beds on TV shows stemmed from some sort of decency/censorship laws in the 50s and 60s. That you couldn't show a man and a woman in bed together, even if they were just saying "Goodnight, dear." However, my husband's grandparents had separate twin beds -- and my FIL says they had them as long as he could remember... so I guess some people did actually do that.

I think they had a king, but it may have been a queen.

It was a water bed. I don't know if those run standard sizes or not.

My parents had a Queen size. We have a king size that we bought when we moved into this house (previously had queen). I'm not sure I could go back.

I had heard that the twin beds on TV shows stemmed from some sort of decency/censorship laws in the 50s and 60s. That you couldn't show a man and a woman in bed together, even if they were just saying "Goodnight, dear." However, my husband's grandparents had separate twin beds -- and my FIL says they had them as long as he could remember... so I guess some people did actually do that.
Every time we get a King sized bed in a hotel, DW and I feel lost. We have a Queen at home, always have. Even with 2 cats, we get lost in a Queen, and I'm 6'2" and 240 pounds, so I'm not tiny, and DW is 5'7". Neither of us move much in our sleep. But our cats liked to sleep on our feet. And when we dog sit DS and DDIL's 15 pound dog, he likes to sleep on my feet.
Yes, the two beds (full/twin) had to do with censorship. But my wife's Grandparents slept that way, as did two of my Aunts and Uncles at home, but they didn't complain about sharing a bed when they came to visit us since that was the only option in our house.

Parents had a double. And I shared a double with my sister for many years. We got a queen size when we got married. DD and her DH have a double for now, I think they would like to get a queen once they have a larger bedroom with room for it.

I don't know what my parents had when I was younger.

My dad had a California King with my stepmom. My mom has had a Queen for a very long time.

I had a full/double growing up (and still have that as a spare mattress which has come in handy when my husband has gone on field assignments)

In the dorm rooms we had extra long twin beds, still in college but at apartments they were fully furnished with full/double beds. When I graduated college and got my own apartment moving back to my metro I just used my existing full/double bed that I had growing up. My husband however had a King-sized bed when he moved into his apartment after moving back into our metro and we've had that same mattress and box spring ever since. We desperately need a new mattress just don't want to spend the money and aren't quite sure what kind of one we want. We are however positive we want to keep with the King-size. We love the space of a King. Technically a California King would be better for his height.

Parents had a double. Husband and I had a double until about 8 years ago (so for 12 years). Our first house was very small and we bought a really nice bedroom set with a double bed and even as we moved to larger houses, I didn't want to give up the set. Now that we have a king, I'm not sure how I survived! Our vacation home has a queen and it feels tiny.

Sort of SPIN OFF OF the "Who Started Off With Zero" thread. Some left with furniture. My wife left with her parents double bed. I remember my parents upgrading from a double to a Queen size. These days King size and California King seem to be popular. My daughter insisted on buying a queen just for her when she moved out.
Growing up watching I Love Lucy and Dick Van Dyke, married couples slept in separate twin beds.
What did your parents have?

Twin beds started appearing on film (movies and TV) for couples during the early 1930's due to the morality code implemented by the Hays Office. Prior to that couples were shown sleeping in one bed same as in most peoples' homes.

My parents had a queen and still do. My grandparents had separate twin beds. I recall my great aunt telling me (about 15 years ago) that they upgraded from a double to a king and how much space they had.

Well, not my parents, but DH and I slept on a double/full together for several years before getting a Queen. We are short and lived in a small apartment. We still have a Queen because when we upgraded initially a King would not have fit in our room comfortably, and we just bought a new mattress a year ago and didn't want to shell out the money to upgrade the bed and the mattress so we went with Queen again although we could easily fit a king now (maybe the next upgrade?)

My in-laws have a king at their house, but they recently bought twin beds to sleep more peacefully (they can't really have separate rooms at our house because we only had one spare room, if they had two rooms, they might have chosen two queens or two doubles).

Growing up - we all had twin beds (single) and my parents had a double (full - used to be called Matrimonial) - parents only went to a queen about 10 years ago and husband and I have a king.

As a young child my parents had a double bed. We moved into a much larger house when I was 12. They kept the double bed for maybe 6 months before buying a queen size.

My parents have a Queen, I think. All I really know is that it is a waterbed.

We started off with a Queen but now have a King. When we stay at hotels, it feels crowded on a Queen, and I avoid places with full/double.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter