Spin-Off: Do All Your Appliances Match?

It would never occur to me to match by having all one brand. My family grew up with checking Consumer Reports magazine for their product reviews, in the days way before the Internet was invented. We learned that each brand didn't necessarily create the best quality in all appliances. And it would actually be foolhardy to buy all one brand for everything. If Maytag had overall the best washers or dishwashers that year, then we'd get that. But, if Amana had the best refrigerators in our price range, then that would be what we'd go with. We'd try to match the LOOK as best we can, but not the brands.

I still go by this, now the Internet is here. I check reviews in the price range I want to buy something - KNOWING there are many false reviews too. But, usually certain details about an item or model gets talked about and reiterated in a specific way. Not just overall gushing about a product or brand with no real specifics. And that's the item I choose - or rule out.

Ours don't even match in color right now. We have a Bosch stainless dishwasher (Christmas gift from MIL when our other one died two years ago, DH picked it), the fridge, stove and microwave are all off-white but they aren't the same exact shade of off-white or the same brand. I really like the dishwasher itself but I hate the stainless, and there is no way I would get stainless even if we were replacing the other appliances.

When we had our house, color was the same, yet the brands were different. Hood was Broan. Dishwasher was Whirlpool, Stove was Whirlpool, Microwave GE, Washer & Dryer Kenmore.

I'm really glad to know that I am not the only person who doesn't have matching color appliances.
We did for years but then replaced the stove (went from bisque to black). Then the dishwasher, but the fridge is still that awful bisque. The plan is to eventually go with black stainless everything. Unfortunately it isn't happening as fast as I want.

Brands don’t match. We have a Samsung fridge (never again), a Miele dishwasher and a Dacor stove. All stainless. Took me until 23 years of marriage to have matching colored appliances. I started with avocado green stove and dishwasher and white fridge. Then went to
Stainless stove and dishwasher but still had the white fridge.

Finally 4 years ago got the stainless fridge.

When I bought my house it had one of the original ceramic top ovens. It's UGLY. It's bisque colored with a black door, its missing the handle to the oven door and the oven door will on stay open a crack, to open it all the way it has to be held open by hand or if I'm putting in something heavy that requires two hands I use a frying pan to weight it down. I've mostly remodeled my kitchen in white and cool blue I've wanted to replace it as my fridge and dishwasher are white, but it's so durable and works so well I just haven't bothered.

Just recently replaced all of ours. All match in color (stainless) - all different brands.

My house was new 6 years ago. I bought Whirlpool frig and range, but a Bosch dishwasher. When it comes time to replace one of them, I will look at reliability, features and price. I will not buy a brand just to match 'badges'.

They have for about three years now. We used to have a mishmash of different brands and colors. Then we remodeled the kitchen and got all Bosch appliances in slate color.

When I bought my house it had one of the original ceramic top ovens. It's UGLY. It's bisque colored with a black door, its missing the handle to the oven door and the oven door will on stay open a crack, to open it all the way it has to be held open by hand or if I'm putting in something heavy that requires two hands I use a frying pan to weight it down. I've mostly remodeled my kitchen in white and cool blue I've wanted to replace it as my fridge and dishwasher are white, but it's so durable and works so well I just haven't bothered.
:scared: That does not sound like the discription of an oven in great working order - sounds kinda dangerous actually. I’d burn myself on that door for sure.

I’ve been grumpy about having to use an oven thermometer because mine isn’t “true” anymore and having to hand wash dishes since the dishwasher konked out 2 weeks ago. I’m getting new ones delivered this weekend. You are a real trooper to put up with that stove.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with mismatched appliances. I have a black fridge, black dishwasher and white range. I had plans to get matching stainless appliances when I bought the house, but life has gotten in the way. Now with a kid who will be in college soon, I may never get to it... I plan to sell the house in a few years. Might just get a black range and call it done!

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with mismatched appliances. I have a black fridge, black dishwasher and white range. I had plans to get matching stainless appliances when I bought the house, but life has gotten in the way. Now with a kid who will be in college soon, I may never get to it... I plan to sell the house in a few years. Might just get a black range and call it done!
I remember as a kid in the 1960's there being places that would paint your new appliances to match your existing ones. God forbid you have an Avocado fridge in the kitchen with a Coppertone stove.

I remember as a kid in the 1960's there being places that would paint your new appliances to match your existing ones. God forbid you have an Avocado fridge in the kitchen with a Coppertone stove.
That must have been back in the day when they were made to last and getting 20 years (or more) use out of an appliance was a reasonable expectation. Modern ones are often not even worth fixing after 5 or 6 years, let alone “remodeling” to match the decor.

That must have been back in the day when they were made to last and getting 20 years (or more) use out of an appliance was a reasonable expectation. Modern ones are often not even worth fixing after 5 or 6 years, let alone “remodeling” to match the decor.
Well, everything I have is under warranty for 10 years, so I better get at least that out of them. 5 or 6 years is TOTALLY unacceptable. Especially for things like electric ranges. New burners and oven elements, thermostats are under $20 at the hardware store and snap right in. Just make sure to turn off the power before replacing them.
I sold my parents house 5 years ago with the original 1960 Westinghouse cooktop and oven, and the original Lennox Central Heat and AC. The buyer did rip out the kitchen, but at least as of 3 months ago that Lennox was still chugging along at 58 years of age.

Our kitchen appliances match in color but ‘badges’ don’t. All Whirlpool when we built but the over the range microwave died a few years ago and it’s now Samsung. All are white.

Washing machine and dryer are both white but have never matched. After 2 Whirlpool washers in about 11 or 12 years, we bought LG. Dryer is still Whirlpool.

:scared: That does not sound like the discription of an oven in great working order - sounds kinda dangerous actually. I’d burn myself on that door for sure.

I’ve been grumpy about having to use an oven thermometer because mine isn’t “true” anymore and having to hand wash dishes since the dishwasher konked out 2 weeks ago. I’m getting new ones delivered this weekend. You are a real trooper to put up with that stove.
I've wanted to replace the darn thing for aesthetics alone, but I've had so many friends that have had to replace appliances they only had for a few years that I've been leery of buying new. My bakery items come out nicely in it so I know it's holding temperature well. The little nubs that once held the handle in place are still on the door so I can pull it open with those; not ideal, but not so bad either. I'm planning on getting an equity loan soon to do a bunch of repairs and upgrades next year. Once I put in new countertop, sink and backsplash the stove will likely be a casualty of my remodel!

Our house was built in 1980, the stovetop and oven are original to the house, I'm not even sure of the brand. :laughing: Our stovetop is a lovely shade of 70's gold, the oven is black and brown and so tiny I can't even cook a turkey for Thanksgiving in there. :rotfl:We dont have a dishwasher.

The fridge has been replaced a few times but the newest model is a stainless steel Whirlpool. When we eventually remodel, our appliances will be stainless but I don't care if the brands match as long as they are good quality and the price is right.:thumbsup2

I've wanted to replace the darn thing for aesthetics alone, but I've had so many friends that have had to replace appliances they only had for a few years that I've been leery of buying new. My bakery items come out nicely in it so I know it's holding temperature well. The little nubs that once held the handle in place are still on the door so I can pull it open with those; not ideal, but not so bad either. I'm planning on getting an equity loan soon to do a bunch of repairs and upgrades next year. Once I put in new countertop, sink and backsplash the stove will likely be a casualty of my remodel!

If you are so attached to that oven, can't you just get the oven door replaced?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!