• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Spending Cash in Oahu?

hmcfall711

DIS Veteran
I know that this question depends on each person's spending habits, however, I have read a lot of places only take cash on Oahu. We will be going for 8 days. We rarely have cash on us at home and almost everything is done through a debt card.

What is a good estimate of how much pocket cash we should have available?

TIA.

I just returned from 8 days on Oahu. We did a lot of sightseeing, eating out, and shopping while there. All of us used either credit or debit cards everywhere, except for when we ate at a shrimp truck. There it was cash only. :) So I'm not sure where all the places are that only take cash, but I guess we didn't find them! ;)

I had about $250 in cash with me, but didn't really use much of it.

Have a wonderful time! It is so beautiful there, and we all hated to leave at the end of our stay. Aulani is gorgeous!! I hope to go back again some day!!

I was also there for 8 nights.

The only place you may need fair amount of cash is at the Swap Meet at Aloha Stadium. Only saw maybe 5 vendors that take credit cards. My wife spent the $140 I had pretty quickly.

I agree with the two previous posters. Spent 8 days there and only swap meet and shrimp trucks needed cash for. There is a Chase Bank ATM in the lobby at Aulani.

some of the stands at the Waikiki market may only take cash but there are ATM's in the area if needed

Places like roadside stands might only take cash. Some businesses may give you a discount using cash.

We've been to Oahu 3 times and used almost exclusively credit/debit cards.

Enjoy your trip, Aulani is absolutely beautiful!

I just returned from 8 days on Oahu. We did a lot of sightseeing, eating out, and shopping while there. All of us used either credit or debit cards everywhere, except for when we ate at a shrimp truck. There it was cash only. :) So I'm not sure where all the places are that only take cash, but I guess we didn't find them! ;)
How much should I budget for "shrimp truck" lunches? Our group plans to go to the North Shore at least 2 days of our trip and say they want to try different "shrimp trucks" for lunch. I've not seen any info on pricing for these. Guessing $10 +/- per person. That sound about right?

How much should I budget for "shrimp truck" lunches? Our group plans to go to the North Shore at least 2 days of our trip and say they want to try different "shrimp trucks" for lunch. I've not seen any info on pricing for these. Guessing $10 +/- per person. That sound about right?
I can only tell you about Giovanni's shrimp truck because that's the one we ate at. There it would depend on if you get a full order or half order. The full order (12 shrimp, 2 scoops of rice) was $13, and the half order (6 shrimp, 1 scoop of rice) was $6.50. Cans of soda were $1.00 each. Each of us ordered a half order and found that it was plenty of food for us. I think they also had hot dogs (garlic hot dogs, I think?) for those not wanting shrimp, but I don't remember how much those were.

Have a great time! :)

Shrimp Trucks and tips are the only thing I can think we used cash for. We didn't go to the Swap Meet or anything like that.

Thanks a bunch for the input. :hug:

I am glad to hear that it is not as necessary as I'd thought. I don't like the idea of traveling with more than a little cash.

Thanks a bunch for the input. :hug:

I am glad to hear that it is not as necessary as I'd thought. I don't like the idea of traveling with more than a little cash.
For HI I'm comfortable but out of the US I do not use CC at any places I don't have to. I've had my CC info stolen a couple of times, once in MX and once in Aruba. The one in Aruba I only used the card once (failed ATM attempt) in the lobby of the Marriott Surf Club. For cruises I use the CC for the ship only. For Aruba and MS I use them now only for the hotel and rental car. Otherwise I use cash and have a dedicated ATM card that I can load/unload online and for free without any fees.

I know that this question depends on each person's spending habits, however, I have read a lot of places only take cash on Oahu. We will be going for 8 days. We rarely have cash on us at home and almost everything is done through a debt card.

What is a good estimate of how much pocket cash we should have available?

TIA.

We used cash for the swap meet, where we purchased the bulk of our souvenirs (best prices on the island, and they have it all).
We also needed cash for shave ice, pressed Penny machines, the International Marketplace at Waikiki.
At the Target store, I used my Redcard just like at home, nice to save that 5% on vacation too.
We even paid cash for gasoline at Costco when we realized we couldn't buy it without a membership card and a friendly local guy with a card put it on his credit card and let us pay him cash.
You just never know when you might need it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter